Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I think fair is everybody paying the same amount. No percentages. If the government needs X dollars to run and there are Y people, every person has to pay X/Y.

What can be more fair than that?

I don't understand your comparison to iron ore.
What body parts do you take from those who earn less than X/Y?

So, a guy with a wife and two kids has to pay 4X/Y, and if his wife has a baby, he has to start paying 5X/Y. And his 90 year old grandmother lives with him, so he pays 6X/Y. Sounds fair to me.

The current annual budget is about $12,000 per person. That's $72K for the family above. Can they pay that in $6,000 monthly installments, or does it all have to be paid up front? Or, how about $200 a day?

Last edited by jtur88; 03-10-2010 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:32 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

So, a guy with a wife and two kids has to pay 4X/Y, and if his wife has a baby, he has to start paying 5X/Y. And his 90 year old grandmother lives with him, so he pays 6X/Y. Sounds fair to me.

The current annual budget is about $12,000 per person. That's $72K for the family above. Can they pay that in $6,000 monthly installments, or does it all have to be paid up front? Or, how about $200 a day?
I said that would be fair, not feasible. Obviously, it would be impossible, but we should be working towards that goal, not away from it.

If you can't afford kids, don't have them.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:38 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Quote:

What the hell is your stupid ass example guy doing having babies he can't afford to raise......

Don't bread em if you can't feed em......

Pretty simple....

Old 03-10-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
What the hell is your stupid ass example guy doing having babies he can't afford to raise......

Don't bread em if you can't feed em......

Pretty simple....
Then, dumbass, what would we do for tax revenues, without all those kids having to pay a quarter of a million in taxes before they're even old enough to get a job? You're not talking about being able to feed them, which is almost nothing. You're talking about being able to pay the tax on them according this hare-brained "fair tax" proposal.

Using this moronic tax plan and your moronic advice, all children in the next generation will be named Gates. Buffet, or Walton.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:04 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Then, dumbass, what would we do for tax revenues, without all those kids having to pay a quarter of a million in taxes before they're even old enough to get a job? You're not talking about being able to feed them, which is almost nothing. You're talking about being able to pay the tax on them according this hare-brained "fair tax" proposal.

Using this moronic tax plan and your moronic advice, all children in the next generation will be named Gates. Buffet, or Walton.
Call me crazy but maybe we would just cut spending.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Call me crazy but maybe we would just cut spending.
How can we do that when there are imaginary WMDs all over the place? If we didn't have the government mandating tamper-proof caps on milk jugs, just try to picture the senseless slaughter of millions of milk drinkers.

Just last week, the Census Bureau spent $50-million mailing every household a letter warning us to expect a census form next week. Tell me that was not money well spent.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-10-2010 at 09:27 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Not my moronic tax plan, the moronic tax plan that was actually studied and wirten to totally replace all payroll taxes.....

Now if you would please not resort to calling me names and actually read the plan you might actually learn something.....

Consumption taxes are the most fair.....

Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Consumption taxes, particularly on necessities like food, cloths and shelter, are the most regressive and unjust taxes imaginable. Taxing luxuries like cigarettes, booze and video games is just about as bad.

A fair and reasonable way to support the government spending is to stop borrowing money from the wealthy and start taxing it from them. I suggest a progressive (10 to 85%) tax on all income from all sources with a deductable equal to the 85th percentile of income. Countervailing tariffs based on the savings attributable to sub standard wages, lax environmental controls and government subsidy would add to the amount collected.

This would place the burden of operating the government on the people that profit most from the government and the tariffs would allow the redevelopment of American industry and all the jobs that go with it. Without an income tax burden most working class people would be able to buy the American made products as well as affording to educate their kids without incurring ruinous debt.

This is part of a plan to restructure the American economy for the benefit of the people that create the wealth instead of for the top one percent that currently sequesters most of the wealth.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Not my moronic tax plan, the moronic tax plan that was actually studied and wirten to totally replace all payroll taxes.....

Now if you would please not resort to calling me names and actually read the plan you might actually learn something.....

Consumption taxes are the most fair.....
So, saying "your stupid ass example" is not 'calling names', but "dumbass" is. Everything, for your information, has been "studied", and you can find idiots to "write" any moronic idea. Expecially if it is an idea in which they have a huge self-interest. Including the idea that your grandmother should have exactly the same amount of income tax taken out of her pension check, as a billionaires who "studied and wrote" the plan.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
So, saying "your stupid ass example" is not 'calling names', but "dumbass" is. Everything, for your information, has been "studied", and you can find idiots to "write" any moronic idea. Expecially if it is an idea in which they have a huge self-interest. Including the idea that your grandmother should have exactly the same amount of income tax taken out of her pension check, as a billionaires who "studied and wrote" the plan.
I didn't call your example stupid, I called the guy in your example stupid for having kids he couldn't afford. "What the hell is your stupid ass example guy doing having babies he can't afford to raise"

I don't want my grandmothers, both of whom are dead, to have to pay any income tax at all just like the billionaire. I don't want anyone to pay income taxes at all, like I said before you bash something you really should atleast get a general understanding of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates