Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:18 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,710,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Perhaps we ought to look at the downsizing of mental health facilities in order to save states money.

It looks good on the state books, but in reality, it costs much more when the mentally ill person either frequently shows up at an ER or ends up in jail.

Many mentally ill homeless people require constant supervision in terms of taking their medications in order to remain lucid - otherwise, they may as well install revolving doors on jails and ERs.
And here is where we see the conundrum of Deinstitutionalization.

It's a tough call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 05:42 PM

894 posts, read 1,128,499 times
We have a lot of schools in every state that have been closed down, no longer being used by students. Why can't those school buildings be converted into shelter for the homeless? Think about it, it'd be a great solution. The schools are usually 1-3 floors, have multiple classrooms on each floor, bathroom & shower facilities, gym, cafeteria, and a Nurses office.

They even have lockers where they could store their stuff.

I do give to the homeless, even if they didn't approach me for it. I went blind 10 years ago -- but back when I could still see, there was a homeless woman crouched next to a garbage dumpster at the 7-11 store. It was super cold and windy outside (Las Vegas gets bad wind storms sometimes). Poor old thing had a ratty blanket full of holes ... it broke my heart.

I went into the 7-11 and bought what I planned to get, and picked up a large coffee, sugar/cream & a couple of microwaved hotdogs (they sold them inside all ready pre-cooked).

I went out and gave the coffee and hotdogs to her, she had tears in her eyes and said in a crackly voice ... "thank you very much, that was kind of you"

I've helped others too, and do a lot of volunteer work for the disabled and the homeless.

Out of them all though, she sticks in my mind the most and I wonder about her every now and then.

I think it is the responsibility of everyone living in this country that has clothes on their back, food on their table, money in their pockets, and a roof over their head -- to show some compassion toward their fellow man and help those that are less fortunate.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:46 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,180,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
And here is where we see the conundrum of Deinstitutionalization.

It's a tough call.

Exactly. It's an even tougher call for those who run the jails and general hospitals.

Back before that, jail guards required about half the mental health training that they now do - adding even more expense to the books.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:03 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,681,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post

I won't give cash to a homeless shelter. I will give to someone directly and what they do with it beyond that point is on them.
That's how I got there.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:19 PM

494 posts, read 891,504 times
Quote:
You can go ahead and admit to the chip you have on your shoulder about religion. Actually, you can go ahead and admit your hatred toward religion. It's pretty obvious anyway.
Are you for real, or did you just not pay attention to what I said?

It is NOT religious discrimination for a Christian to donate only to Christian charities. It is NOT religious discrimination for a Catholic to donate solely to catholic charities. It is NOT religious discrimination for Jews to donate just to Jewish charities. And since those who believe are free to choose without it being discriminatory, then it is not religious discrimination for an atheist to choose to give charity only to non-believers.

Everyone has personal criteria which they use when choosing to donate or not.
Trying to deny someone else the right to choose where their charity money goes WOULD be discriminatory.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
No I have not...just witnessed it.
Well... I've been on "both sides of the fence." I've not been homeless, but have been suddenly without income and in need of assistance. I've also been in an administrative position, having to evaluate and deny or disperse services.

It's not an easy call.

First of all, people MUST realize that those entities that provide assistance are working with limited funds. The Salvation Army, for instance, does NOT have untapped millions just sitting around waiting to be given to people.

Second, people need to realize that virtually every person asking for "assistance" has a very convincing story - and often accompanies it with tears. There are several ways to tell the legitimate cases from the con artists, but you have to experience it before you'll know it.

Third, we MUST make clear distinctions between those who have recently lost their jobs and are in financial need, with the chronically homeless. They are two entirely different sets of people.

Fourth, there are untold thousands (tens of thousands) of "professional" panhandlers. It is their job, their vocation. Many of them actually travel an annual route, taking them into the northern states in the summer and into the southern states in the winter. This is what they do for tax-free income, and even though they're giving you the sob story, the probably have hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars in cash on them.

Fifth, the help people WANT is often not the help they NEED. Throwing a few dollars at somebody to get them out of your office is often the easiest thing to do. Actually helping them is far more difficult, and requires some real commitment.

Bottom line: There are NO easy answers to the issues of homelessness in America, or anywhere else in the world. Anybody that claims to have all the answers, and that they're easy, simply does not know what he/she is talking about.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:05 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,234,908 times
Quote:
Well... I've been on "both sides of the fence." I've not been homeless, but have been suddenly without income and in need of assistance. I've also been in an administrative position, having to evaluate and deny or disperse services.

It's not an easy call.

First of all, people MUST realize that those entities that provide assistance are working with limited funds. The Salvation Army, for instance, does NOT have untapped millions just sitting around waiting to be given to people.

Second, people need to realize that virtually every person asking for "assistance" has a very convincing story - and often accompanies it with tears. There are several ways to tell the legitimate cases from the con artists, but you have to experience it before you'll know it.

Third, we MUST make clear distinctions between those who have recently lost their jobs and are in financial need, with the chronically homeless. They are two entirely different sets of people.

Fourth, there are untold thousands (tens of thousands) of "professional" panhandlers. It is their job, their vocation. Many of them actually travel an annual route, taking them into the northern states in the summer and into the southern states in the winter. This is what they do for tax-free income, and even though they're giving you the sob story, the probably have hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars in cash on them.

Fifth, the help people WANT is often not the help they NEED. Throwing a few dollars at somebody to get them out of your office is often the easiest thing to do. Actually helping them is far more difficult, and requires some real commitment.

Bottom line: There are NO easy answers to the issues of homelessness in America, or anywhere else in the world. Anybody that claims to have all the answers, and that they're easy, simply does not know what he/she is talking about.
I honestly think, Omaha, that is the hardest one. Separation of populations. Each population brings its own needs to the table and there is no one way fits all.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I honestly think, Omaha, that is the hardest one. Separation of populations. Each population brings its own needs to the table and there is no one way fits all.
Exactly.

There are people who truly have hit hard times, and with some help will be back on their feet and doing great. There are people who are homeless due to nothing other than their own stupidity & bad choices. Some of them can be helped, some cannot. There are the professional pan-handlers, whose career is to mooch off the goodwill of others. There are those who are mentally ill and simply cannot function as does the mainstream norm.

Again, there simply aren't any easy answers.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:05 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,641,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I am sure that many homeless are simply unfortuante people who did not get a far share at life. However, I heard that at least half spend their money (that was handed to them) on drugs and alcohol addictions. Is this figure accurate? What percentage of the homeless population is an addict that will spend your money on the addiction? If it is at least half, is it even ethical to give anything to them?
A couple of years ago, I recall an article in one of the local newspapers here in New York City that claimed 90% of the people who beg for money around the city are phony. I suppose people can debate the results of that study, but it certainly does appear that most of 'em aren't asking for legitimate help.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,221,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I worked with homeless people for many years and yes, many of them do struggle with alcohol and/or drug abuse. There were also those who had chronic mental illnesses that interfered with social and cognitive functioning and who may or may not also abused alcohol and drugs. There are also those who simply don't have the education or have other obstacles to employment that provides a living wage. Today many homeless people are employed, but don't make enough to pay for permanent housing. Regardless of the reason, I don't believe that handing money to panhandlers actually helps them or helps the problem. There are so many underfunded community organizations that offer practical help to homeless people; offering education, food, assistance with medical issues, transitional housing, you name it. Many of these organizations do valuable work and actually help some people get off the street but, most are limited by lack of resources. So, rather than give a few dollars to the panhandler and feeling a brief sense of satisfaction that you are helping somebody, consider researching local community groups that are serving this population and have a proven track record of helping them--then write a check. I've seen people get off the streets and start new lives and it's wonderful to see but it takes a lot of support for most folks to make that transition.
BRAVO :thunderous applause: I haven't read all the posts yet, but so far this is easily the best. Omaha seems to be on track too (and not meaning to slight others who have made great posts).

I think this has been at least touched on, people should realize that a LOT of people standing on street corners/etc are NOT homeless, or even broke. They're lazy slugs looking for free money from suckers, and it's amazing how often and well it works. In fact two things about this I'll never forget:

1 - My grandmother. We were out eating somewhere once when I was young and a guy was walking around handing out little business cards with a little smiley face that said "I am deaf, can you please help" (blah blah etc). She startled me by giving him a nasty scowl and shooing him off. She explained how she had worked as a case worker in the inner city (for more years than some of you have been alive) and learned all too well how many people "play the system" and are either lying about how bad their situation is or are simply lazy and a product of our brilliant welfare system which has severely and tragically promoted such a mentality (PS I am not saying there aren't people for whom gov't help is a good thing, but they are the exception by far). She explained that if he was REALLY that bad off, there were charities/etc he could and should go to. The guy btw looked well dressed and quite well fed.

2 - A TV special years ago where they went around to these people waving these "will work for food" signs and offered them jobs....most scattered like the wind. Similar studies have been done.

I have seen many myself who looked well fed, even well dressed panhandling and was repulsed as such people only take away from those truly in need. IMO they should be investigated by authorities and if found to be deceitful about their situation, fined/put in jail/made to pick up trash/whatever. ie give people incentive NOT to do this; don't encourage or condone that self-entitled welfare mentality BS.

Further, frankly I think a lot of people "help" others like this largely to massage their egos/conscience and pat themselves on the back for a moment. Not that it isn't still a nice thing to do per se, but really want to help? Give to the shelters, food panties, charities etc or even volunteer there - those are the TRUE "helpers" for such people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates