Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:44 PM

59,458 posts, read 27,613,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Well, yes, basic logic and rational thinking are taught in Jr. High. And only that.

College allows an individual to further hone those basic logical and rational thinking into more advanced versions. You have to admit that the children nowadays take much longer to mature both mentally and emotionally. If you threw a 18 year old out into society with just a high school diploma, chances are, he or she would not be able develop those thinking processes and would most likely choose the most reasonable route--which is to find work while placing mental and emotional development on the back burner and cutting those rational and logical thinking short.

I believe that college not only is an institution for greater learning, but also allows a safe place for transitioning adults to mature and become better suited for society.
I am not against getting a college education for some people. But, not all people are college material.

To your point about maturity. I have found many college graduates not even close to being mature.

Many 18 and 19 year olds who have served in the military are more mature than many clollge graduates.

Today we have put too much focus on college.

When I got out of high school only about 10 to 15% went to college.

Today the numbers are reversed.

You used to have to be in the top 10 to 15 % of your class in order to get into college. The rest sought employment. Many went into the trades, electrician, plumber, carpenter, auto mechanic, etc.

Today C students can get into college. Only one in three stay in college. kids today are too pampered and have no work ethic.

With so much emphasis on college today we have depleated the labor pool. And we wonder why immigrants are so employed.

There are too many wasted courses today in college. A Liberal Arts degree teaches you nothing of value an employer can use.

i have ranted too long.

To the original question, Should the gov. pay? I say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 03:12 PM

958 posts, read 1,111,048 times
so where is the friking money going to come from.
Many Student loans don't even get paid back

Old 04-28-2010, 03:40 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,754,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
so where is the friking money going to come from.
Many Student loans don't even get paid back
Colleges need to guarantee placement. They don't.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:25 AM

314 posts, read 190,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Colleges need to guarantee placement. They don't.
They don't, they can't and they shouldn't. College is for achievers, not those content with less.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:20 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,754,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperarmati View Post
They don't, they can't and they shouldn't. College is for achievers, not those content with less.
Then there's no real reason for them to exist, as you can achieve without them. If you want to pursue an education, you can do so WITHOUT relying on an institution to do it. Self-directed study.

If they expect the loans to be repaid, they better ensure their students have the earning power to pay it back.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:57 AM

48,502 posts, read 97,066,464 times
Higher education is just that;or supposed to be.Its beyond the basic education that you get in the school systems. But even they have come to the conclusion that not all can get to the top level in basic education.Self directed study is hardy going to be enough since you never have the facities to do what is available at colleges or the guidance needed. If self directed education was in charge of NASA we would still be on the launching pad.The idea of not sending everyoen to college is that it not cost effective or will they be able to pay it back either directly or thru what society gains.That is the reason not everyone should go to college.It people that think everyone should go to college that promote such loans to everyone and created courses without a real future for many. You can get a better edcuation by direct study but it has its limits.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:13 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,652,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
But, not all people are college material.

To your point about maturity. I have found many college graduates not even close to being mature.

Many 18 and 19 year olds who have served in the military are more mature than many clollge graduates.

Today we have put too much focus on college.

Today C students can get into college. Only one in three stay in college. kids today are too pampered and have no work ethic.

With so much emphasis on college today we have depleated the labor pool. And we wonder why immigrants are so employed.
Yes, I agree that not everyone is college material. College allows for greater education and enlightening opportunities, but that doesn't mean that everyone would benefit or even reach those goals when going to college

But I rather be given the opportunity than not at all. And college is what you make out of it If a person spends all 4 years partying, then that's what they earned. For the rest of us, we try to learn

And America's literacy rate is horrible, hence the reason to push people to go to college to become smarter.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:16 PM

17,029 posts, read 31,001,542 times
No. You already got 13 years of free schooling from the government. I think paying for college sort of forces people to get serious about their education and take courses that will lead them to a higher paying job. If mommy and daddy want you to study philosophy, womens studies, holistic medicine and such, then they can pay for your private college, or you can get scholarships.

Now if you serve 4 years in the military I'd be okay with 4 years of education paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates