Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 AM

24,865 posts, read 24,451,193 times

Advertisements

I personally believe that we are on the decline. We are naturally explorers, and we just aren't doing that anymore.

America's hay day was back in the 1900's, largely in part to the growth that we had. We no longer seem to be growing in the same way. We need more places to go to.

But where? All of the habitable world is conquered.

Space seems to me to be a long way off.

It just seems to me that some people, maybe most, are unhappy today. Some of us are just happier when we are moving, exploring, breaking new ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 09:52 AM

968 posts, read 2,630,599 times
i believe humanity is on the decline due to a lack of GOD. if we got back to following the 10 commandments as a nation, and also finally reach a fair respect of other religions, PLUS intolerance of foul play and intolerance of attacks on the american people,

we would be the great nation we were once poised to become.

(disclaimer: when i say respect other religions i include people who choose not to have a religion, however this nation was founded on christian values, not a specific church.)

however, on your declination note, the only way to explore is UP as you say. but that allows the people of the world to become ingenuitous. (which brings me to the realization that you were referring to humanity as a whole not the USofA)

in actuality asian nations are becoming more ingenuitous than the US, look at dubai, and japan, china is having their rise to power, as we speak china is trying to break into the american automotive market.

our technical expertise is needed to get us over this global recession hump. competition needs to be reintroduced to the world.

Last edited by Orincarnia; 05-11-2010 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,796,490 times
Humanity is on the decline for many more reasons than just not being able to explore. It takes employment and vacation time . We all know that's in the crapper. People are unhappy because most of us don't have jobs anymore.

Seems a bit of a redirect to think we're unhappy because we don't explore as much as we used to.

IMO people are most unhappy because our government is a big fat let down. It's very difficult to be happy while unemployed and, for the most part, broke.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:16 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,083,839 times
No, I think people just have more leisure time to complain about how unsatisfying their lives are.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
i believe humanity is on the decline due to a lack of GOD. if we got back to following the 10 commandments as a nation, and also finally reach a fair respect of other religions, PLUS intolerance of foul play and intolerance of attacks on the american people,

we would be the great nation we were once poised to become.

(disclaimer: when i say respect other religions i include people who choose not to have a religion, however this nation was founded on christian values, not a specific church.)

however, on your declination note, the only way to explore is up as you say. but that allows the people of the world to become ingenuitous. (which brings me to the realization that you were referring to humanity as a whole not the USofA)

in actuality asian nations are becoming more ingenuitous than the US, look at dubai, and japan, china is having their rise to power, as we speak china is trying to break into the american automotive market.

our technical expertise is needed to get us over this global recession hump. competition needs to be reintroduced to the world.
Why God? Which God?

You forget that God has changed more times than Madonna has since the beginning of time.

Morality, God, and all things in between have been heavier, and lighter, throughout time.

During the middle ages, when we were at our lowest point in recent human history, God was a huge deal. During the renaissance and the age of enlightenment, God was thrown to the way side, and Humanity soared to new highs of knowledge and civilization.

I don't buy religion as being a major factor in human development overall. Granted, its had quite a bit to do with history, but the individual development of mankind, religion is such a fluid thing, it isn't the major factor.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Humanity is on the decline for many more reasons than just not being able to explore. It takes employment and vacation time . We all know that's in the crapper. People are unhappy because most of us don't have jobs anymore.

Seems a bit of a redirect to think we're unhappy because we don't explore as much as we used to.

IMO people are most unhappy because our government is a big fat let down. It's very difficult to be happy while unemployed and, for the most part, broke.
Yes, but with exploration, comes new opportunities, which create jobs, and all of the economic things that come along with it.

I just feel that if when we are expanding, we are at our best. But that begs the question, where to expand to?

Old 05-11-2010, 10:28 AM

968 posts, read 2,630,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why God? Which God?

You forget that God has changed more times than Madonna has since the beginning of time.

Morality, God, and all things in between have been heavier, and lighter, throughout time.

During the middle ages, when we were at our lowest point in recent human history, God was a huge deal. During the renaissance and the age of enlightenment, God was thrown to the way side, and Humanity soared to new highs of knowledge and civilization.

I don't buy religion as being a major factor in human development overall. Granted, its had quite a bit to do with history, but the individual development of mankind, religion is such a fluid thing, it isn't the major factor.
so...you're an atheist i take it?

you cannot deny that at least following the ten commandments would lead to a better world.

Last edited by Orincarnia; 05-11-2010 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-11-2010, 11:23 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,784,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yes, but with exploration, comes new opportunities, which create jobs, and all of the economic things that come along with it.

I just feel that if when we are expanding, we are at our best. But that begs the question, where to expand to?
You must mean oil exploration! Drill baby, Drill!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:33 AM

26,128 posts, read 19,072,960 times
No big deal. It's been on the decline for at least several million years.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,212,538 times
The reason so many people are unhappy is because there has been such poor distribution of the fabulous wealth that our advances have achieved. For most people, all the advance has been for nothing, because that is about all they got out of it. Why does it surprise you that they aren't enthusiastic anymore about running in the same wheel, and seeing so few take all the benefits for themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates