Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 05:14 PM

324 posts, read 572,892 times

Advertisements

Individuals who lead a life of crime usually have unstable childhoods..

So instead of all the name calling, finger pointing and hostility, why don't you DO something and help?? Maybe then you will realize how severely individuals, more specifically children, can be impacted by the type of environment they've been placed in.

"Big Brothers Big Sisters of America is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to help children reach their potential through professionally supported, one-to-one relationships with mentors that try to have a measurable impact on youth.
Big Brothers Big Sisters is one of the oldest and largest youth mentoring organizations in the United States. Big Brothers Big Sisters mentors children, ages 6 through 18, in communities across the country."

"
National research has shown that positive relationships between youth and their Big Brothers and Big Sisters mentors have a direct and measurable impact on children's lives. Statistics show that Little Brothers and Sisters are:
  • More confident in their schoolwork performance
  • Able to get along better with their families
  • 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
  • 27% less likely to begin using alcohol
  • 52% less likely to skip school.
  • likely to go to college "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 05:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Whole bunch of sweeping generalizations here

Old 05-15-2010, 05:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I bet what those statistics really show is that kids who volunteer or sign up for the program are already predisposed to be less likely to use drugs or alcohol or skip school. Whether or not they actually get placed with a big brother or big sister.

When a person is likely to be predisposed to do both of two behaviors, it is invalid to assume that doing one of them was the cause of doing the other.

A classic example is "Families that pray together, stay together". But neither is the cause of the other. They are simply two characteristics that many people are predisposed to exhibit both of, because they are similarly-motivated behaviors.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-15-2010 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-15-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I bet what those statistics really show is that kids who volunteer or sign up for the program are already predisposed to be less likely to use drugs or alcohol or skip school. Whether or not they actually get placed with a big brother or big sister.

When a person is likely to be predisposed to do both of two behaviors, it is invalid to assume that doing one of them was the cause of doing the other.

Mmm.. I' d have to disagree. Do you know if those kids sign up by their own free will?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-01-2010 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie Flowers View Post
Mmm.. I' d have to disagree. Do you know if those kids sign up by their own free will?
Yes they do. There is an enrollment form on the Big Brothers Big Sisters website. http://www.bbbs.org/site/c.diJKKYPLJ..._Child_Now.htm

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-01-2010 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 05-15-2010, 06:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I do do something. I call for the elimination of laws. No laws, no crime.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes they do. There is an enrollment form on the Big Brothers Big Sisters website. Enroll a Child Now

That is one option that they have. I'm sure a lot of the children in the inner-cities are pushed to do this as well by their teachers.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
That is one option that they have. I'm sure a lot of the children in the inner-cities are pushed to do this as well by their teachers.

In every case it would require parents approval, and in some cases parents initiative. Which skews the enrollment to the side of kids with at least cooperative parents, if not parental encouragement. Already filtering for potential achievers.

I'm not saying BBBS is a bad thing. I'm not even saying it's not a good thing. I'm saying the statistics you quoted do not reflect what they would have been if the Littles has been randomly recruited. I bet the hard cases are even drummed out of the corps, if not doing hard time already in juvie.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:05 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Whole bunch of sweeping generalizations here
Isn't that fun?

BB/BS is a great organization though, and props to them and those who participate.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:44 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Individuals who lead a life of crime usually have unstable childhoods..

So instead of all the name calling, finger pointing and hostility, why don't you DO something and help?? Maybe then you will realize how severely individuals, more specifically children, can be impacted by the type of environment they've been placed in.
So you'd prefer that organizations such as Big Brothers (not to downplay the good work they do) should stand in for the home? Because if these kids came from functional as opposed to dysfunctional households, most of the problem wouldn't be there in the first place.

The finger does indeed need to be pointed. It needs to be pointed straight at parents who avoid anything that sounds like responsibility. Because that's where the problems originate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates