Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:19 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

What did people do for trash bags - like the Hefty's in your kitchen - before this plastic bag mania? I would really like to know. If I could stop using kitchen bags, I would!
Large paper grocery bags. They would fit nicely inside most kitchen garbage cans. Anything really wet could cause the bag to fall apart, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Large paper grocery bags. They would fit nicely inside most kitchen garbage cans. Anything really wet could cause the bag to fall apart, though.
We compost or recycle most of our refuse, and what remains we put directly into a plastic can. The garbage collector dumps it directly into the truck, no liner required.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:33 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
We compost or recycle most of our refuse, and what remains we put directly into a plastic can. The garbage collector dumps it directly into the truck, no liner required.
I was just referring to the era prior to plastic bags and recycling.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:06 PM

416 posts, read 630,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I was just referring to the era prior to plastic bags and recycling.
Many areas used paper grocery bags or newspaper for trash, liquids were put into used cans, some just tossed it all into a garbage can and washed it out after the garbage men emptied it. Many homes/neighborhoods had incinerators to burn their trash locally, any nonburnable trash was picked up or had to be taken to the dump ground. Many rural folks buried their nonburnable trash.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:10 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
We need laws to make recycled materials financialy advantageous, like adding taxes on non recyclable packaging, that is what we need. The corporations rule the government here, unfortunately. so it will take a while to happen. And then only, it will promote the development of recycling technologies. Europe is much more cleaner. There are no free plastic bags in the stores and it is expensive there to dump garbage, and the companies are responsible for recycling their packaging materials so they package their stuff in a smarter way.
Like we don't have enough laws that penalize people already...

Instead of taking the Gestapo approach (that won't work anyway) why not do something that appeals to everyone?

PAY people

Old 08-19-2011, 05:15 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I'm wondering, on a forum where most people are eco-conscious and many people are probably doing their best to avoid plastic...how many bags do you use in a week? maybe count them up this week, M-Sunday, and see?

i did a 2010 resolution of no more plastic bags whenever possible and reduced my use of them substantially, but still found I had tons that I was bringing to the recylcing container. 2011 pledge is to reduce further!

How's everyone else doing?
We clean the litter box twice a day and use recycled [plastic] grocery bags. For our kitchen garbage we use about one garbage bag every couple of days (tall kitchen trash bags).

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Like we don't have enough laws that penalize people already...

Instead of taking the Gestapo approach (that won't work anyway) why not do something that appeals to everyone?

PAY people
Haha.. charging you 5 cents for a plastic bag is a gestapo approach to you! It is amazing how people quickly change their mind and start bringing their own bags just for 5 cents! Now, the difference befween you and me, is that I am doing it now, because I like it, and you will be doing it for 5 cents.

Just because somebody has not travelled anywhere beyond their "Walmart" area, does not mean that it "will not work". It works and very well.

Last edited by Dressy; 08-19-2011 at 10:17 PM..

Old 08-19-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Haha.. charging you 5 cents for a plastic bag is a gestapo approach to you! It is amazing how people quickly change their mind and start bringing their own bags just for 5 cents! Now, the difference befween you and me, is that I am doing it now, because I like it, and you will be doing it for 5 cents.
Oh, so this 5 (five) pennies per bag is only for plastic grocery bags....

If that's the case and this is SOOOOO important the supermarkets could just give the cloth bags away in the name of environmentalists everywhere...

But they don't....

I wonder why.

Maybe because plastic bags are no big deal and they recognize most people don't like the hassle and possible health hazards from using cloth bags.........

Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,883 times
You do not make any point. I cannot see how any of the previous post are connected to the last one. Forget it. YOu are sitting in a green forum and do not share the idea of conservation of resources.
You must love to generate some hatred towards yourself. Nope, I do not care. Look for somebody else.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
You do not make any point. I cannot see how any of the previous post are connected to the last one. Forget it. YOu are sitting in a green forum and do not share the idea of conservation of resources.You must love to generate some hatred towards yourself.
There are things and attitudes that I am green on, if you look at threads I have started here you'd see that.....

If you hate me because I oppose more laws and taxes, that's your problem and has nothing to do with being green...

Quote:
Nope, I do not care.
Obviously you hate anybody who doesn't share your mindset, I won't mention what that's called.....

Last edited by plwhit; 08-20-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living