Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:25 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,080,567 times

Advertisements

http://nytimes.com/2011/08/11/scienc....html?emc=eta1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 09:20 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Just another way obama's administration wants to put Americans out of business......

Old 08-19-2011, 12:06 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,053,608 times
I've been hearing about this for several years. In our state (Oregon) they tested a very similar program in 2006 - 2007.

I think ideally it's a great idea, sure, but nobody in their right mind is going to vote for it. Perhaps the people that already use public transportation or ride their bikes exclusively, they might like to "stick it" to the car-drivers, or they would vote for it because it wouldn't affect them. But anyone who depends on a car - which is most of us - isn't going to want to do this.

To get something like this to pass, they would have to offer some kind of incentive program. Or they would have to give you some kind of option - either this or pay higher registration and licensing fees or something like that. But I really don't see people agreeing to paying both.

Or who knows. Maybe we won't even get a vote. The way things are going. Lots of things are happening lately that we didn't even get to voice our opinion on. They might just start this program and maybe it will help people drive less and think about things a little more... ?

Old 08-19-2011, 06:05 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
As the use of hybrids and electric cars expands some mechanism to tax these vehicles is needed because they aren't paying anything to fund building and maintaining the roads they are driving on. At the moment they are being subsidized by gas powered cars. Removal of the gas tax at the pump and moving those taxes to a mileage fee is the fairest way to assess them.

The traditional gas tax is not perfect but it is fair to some degree. Generally larger and heavier vehicles which do more damage to the road use more fuel and pay more to use the roads. Ideally any new tax would use a formula based on the expected average weight of the vehicle and miles driven.

What I wouldn't support is doing this through GPS, perhaps assessing these when the car is inspected.

I'd also support a moderate increase in the revenue collected as long as every penny went to roads and bridges.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:08 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,168,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As the use of hybrids and electric cars expands some mechanism to tax these vehicles is needed because they aren't paying anything to fund building and maintaining the roads they are driving on. At the moment they are being subsidized by gas powered cars. Removal of the gas tax at the pump and moving those taxes to a mileage fee is the fairest way to assess them.

The traditional gas tax is not perfect but it is fair to some degree. Generally larger and heavier vehicles which do more damage to the road use more fuel and pay more to use the roads. Ideally any new tax would use a formula based on the expected average weight of the vehicle and miles driven.

What I wouldn't support is doing this through GPS, perhaps assessing these when the car is inspected.

I'd also support a moderate increase in the revenue collected as long as every penny went to roads and bridges.
I agree with you on this coalman. While I hate seeing taxes raised, I would be OK with a modest increase in the gas tax IF AND ONLY IF these funds are given exclusively to roads and bridges and the maintenance of them. NO diverting these extra revenues to some general fund where the money goes into a black hole.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:32 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,031,991 times
I read the article & this tax will affect only drivers of electric cars cause they dont pay gas tax. Thats fair but as far as taxing people who drive gas powered car i highly doubt that will happen. Lets just hope obama doesnt get re-elected next yr (i doubt it if he will but you never know cause many voters arent too bright).

Old 08-20-2011, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
... as far as taxing people who drive gas powered car i highly doubt that will happen.
They are already taxed through the fuel tax, if this were added to gasoline vehicles then then they would be taxed double. Ultimately moving to a mileage/weight tax for all vehicles is the fairest solution however I do not like the suggestion it be implemented using GPS.

This GPS method brings up another question, how could they make such a tax backwards compatible if they did do it with GPS? Really not possible without enormous expense to the consumer.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
While I hate seeing taxes raised, I would be OK with a modest increase in the gas tax IF AND ONLY IF these funds are given exclusively to roads and bridges and the maintenance of them.
I hate seeing them go up too but the federal gas tax hasn't gone up since the early 90's. The fact is our infrastructure is crumbling and we need increased funding for roads and bridges. Nobody wants to touch it on either side of the aisle, they just keep kicking the can down the road.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:31 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

Ugh, I don't really like this idea but I'm not really gonna oppose it if they decide to pass it.. unless I must go purchase one of their GPSs to drive my own car!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I the end as cars egt more milegae and there is still a ned to maintain roads somethig has to be done. Actually a mileage is a much more fair user fee based system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living