Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:29 PM

60 posts, read 54,311 times

Advertisements

Saturday is National Solar Day - Solar Home & Business Tours | ASES National Solar Tour

October is National Energy Awareness Month - Energy Awareness Month : ENERGY STAR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 07:38 PM

886 posts, read 5,716,408 times
You would think that they would have national solar day on the longest day of the year? But that would make too much sense and most greenies don't make any sense.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:35 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Great solar decathlon on the Mall this last week. The university kids get it. Time to change our energy path.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:48 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Great solar decathlon on the Mall this last week. The university kids get it. Time to change our energy path.
The University kids get handed $100,000.00 in taxpayer money for each team entering. What they "get" is free $$.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The University kids get handed $100,000.00 in taxpayer money for each team entering. What they "get" is free $$.
Should be 10 times as much. Like I said, the kids get it. Others a little slow.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Should be 10 times as much. Like I said, the kids get it. Others a little slow.
Yes, the kids are getting brainwashed producing 100 sq. foot houses that cost nearly 1/2 million to produce.

What problems have they addressed or solved by their little demo? None, just the same old same old that's been in Mother Earth x 25 years.

If they want to make a real difference with solar energy why not make PVC panels that are at least 400% more efficient than what is currently on the market? Why not address the real problem of storage of solar energy? Those things would make a difference but this little dog and pony show to back the Obama "green" agenda (which will not make us energy independent or energy secure) does nothing of real value.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:05 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans1976 View Post
Saturday is National Solar Day - Solar Home & Business Tours | ASES National Solar Tour

October is National Energy Awareness Month - Energy Awareness Month : ENERGY STAR
Too bad it was cloudy and it snowed on October 1st for me, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yes, the kids are getting brainwashed producing 100 sq. foot houses that cost nearly 1/2 million to produce.

What problems have they addressed or solved by their little demo? None, just the same old same old that's been in Mother Earth x 25 years.

If they want to make a real difference with solar energy why not make PVC panels that are at least 400% more efficient than what is currently on the market? Why not address the real problem of storage of solar energy? Those things would make a difference but this little dog and pony show to back the Obama "green" agenda (which will not make us energy independent or energy secure) does nothing of real value.
The first solar decathlon was in 2002. My DH and went to see the ASU home that was built for this year. They spent the maximum amount on their house and it was highly unimpressive, unimaginative, and not innovative at all.

The show should have the students doing an off grid home. What good is it if it has to be hooked to the grid...other than helping our grid...but then that is not about the "home".

I wanted to go to the show but after I saw one home that was being entered I didn't see the point. If this is the best our kids can do, we are in serious trouble. JMO

Last edited by ylisa7; 10-02-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-02-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Too bad it was cloudy and it snowed on October 1st for me, lol.

The first solar decathlon was in 2002. My DH and went to see the ASU home that was built for this year. They spent the maximum amount on their house and it was highly unimpressive, unimaginative, and not innovative at all.

The show should have the students doing an off grid home. What good is it if it has to be hooked to the grid...other than helping our grid...but then that is not about the "home".

I wanted to go to the show but after I saw one home that was being entered I didn't see the point. If this is the best our kids can do, we are in serious trouble. JMO
The grid provides huge benefits. Why would you want to be off grid? The idea is to be energy efficient not a Hippie.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:33 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans1976 View Post

Do we mail checks to Solyndra for this? Or is there some other company we send our money to?

Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
The grid provides huge benefits. Why would you want to be off grid? The idea is to be energy efficient not a Hippie.
There you go stereotyping

The whole idea should be about being independent of the grid...and doing it right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living