Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:46 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times

Advertisements

Representing one of the most agriculturally bio-diverse nations in the world, India has become a primary target for biotechnology companies like Monsanto and Cargill to spread their genetically-modified (GM) crops into new markets. However, a recent France 24 report explains that the Indian government has decided to take an offensive approach against this attempted agricultural takeover by suing Monsanto for “biopiracy,” accusing the company of stealing India’s indigenous plants in order to re-engineer them into patented varieties.”

Yup it's biopiracy, extortion and bioterrorism that's what Monsanto etc. does. I wish India Luck because shortsighted useless clowns we call supreme court (one of whom is a former attorney for Monsanto, btw) are strategically aligned with big money and big GMO ALWAYS.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:30 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
While I believe your post is one of the utmost importance it seems to be getting little attention from the people here a CD. I wonder if it because they are unaware of the implications of this situation or they just don't care.

If you believe yourself to really be green you urgently need to research this subject. This is not solely about corp ownership but also the fact that our food supply is threaten.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
We have to wonder why someone like Norman Braksick, president of Asgrow Seed Co., a subsidiary of Monsanto would say that labeling GMO foods is like having the SKULL and CROSS BONES on the label?
( quoted in the Kansas City Star, March 7, 1994 )

Then there is Phil Angell, Monsanto's director of corporate communications, who very honestly states is is NOT Monsanto's responsibility prove the safety of GMOs, Monsanto's job is to SELL as much mutated food as possible and increase PROFIT! ( quoted in the New York Times, October 25, 1998 )

Corporations are buying their way into THIRD WORLD countries then getting thrown out when the people fully understand the waste of resources and environmental damage they do.

For nearly two decades, Monsanto and corporate agribusiness have exercised near-dictatorial control over American agriculture, aided and abetted by indentured politicians and regulatory agencies, supermarket chains, giant food processors, and the so-called “natural” products industry.

READ MORE

Millions Against Monsanto: The Food Fight of Our Lives

Old 04-13-2012, 08:32 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Representing one of the most agriculturally bio-diverse nations in the world, India has become a primary target for biotechnology companies like Monsanto and Cargill to spread their genetically-modified (GM) crops into new markets. However, a recent France 24 report explains that the Indian government has decided to take an offensive approach against this attempted agricultural takeover by suing Monsanto for “biopiracy,” accusing the company of stealing India’s indigenous plants in order to re-engineer them into patented varieties.”

Yup it's biopiracy, extortion and bioterrorism that's what Monsanto etc. does. I wish India Luck because shortsighted useless clowns we call supreme court (one of whom is a former attorney for Monsanto, btw) are strategically aligned with big money and big GMO ALWAYS.
umm... how were these eggplants 'stolen' from india if they never even left the country?

there is no case here, and this is why:

Quote:
Embarrassingly for the federal Indian government, officials at the Karnataka Biodiversity Board say that a separate arm of the federal government in New Delhi - the Department of Biotechnology, at the Ministry of Science and Technology - gave the green light for the research into BT brinjal in 2005, even though the Biological Diversity Act and the National Biodiversity Authority were not consulted.

Biopiracy in India: The case of the aubergine

Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Oh please, India is corrupt beyond belief. They can't handle their own country, look at how their people live. I have to roll my eyes to this one... pathetic.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:30 AM

Water water everywhere, but not a drop that is suitable for irrigation.

From National Geographic's Jay Famiglietti of University of California,
groundwater is being depleted at a rapid clip in many of the world’s major aquifers — but one that demands a fresh look and immediate action…

Partially due to GMOs requiring MORE water than a typical crop and also because herbicides are contaminating most aquifers.

GOOD TO THE LAST DROP

Old 04-14-2012, 09:26 AM

GMOs dont require more water.
How the heck do herbicides increase the depletion rate?

Old 04-15-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
GMOs dont require more water.
How the heck do herbicides increase the depletion rate?
Suppose you want scientific data? I will get back with you..
But wait, it really won't matter what data I post that shows GMOs consume excessive amounts of water due to the high concentration of of built in herbicides, because if it hasn't been done by Monsanto science or the FDA (aka Monsanto II) then you are not going to accept it anyways...Those who are interested and really want to know will find the truth.
Semantics seems to be your preferred game---herbicides "deplete" the available water suply because they CONTAMINATE the aquifers, thereby reducing the ammount of fresh water that is available to a community.

Genetically engineered crops require much more water to grow, have much higher requirements for fertilizer and pesticide, in spite of Monsanto's claims to the contrary and, in spite of their cost to farmers, provide NO increased yield

My First hand experience

In the mean time seems there were a few folks converging in Vermont...

Hundreds of people, many of whom traveled in buses from the far corners of the state, jammed the Statehouse Thursday night to tell the House Agriculture Committee to pass the bill mandating labeling of genetically engineered (GE) food sold in Vermont.

SCORES TESTIFY IN FAVOR OF GM LABELING

Old 04-15-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Suppose you want scientific data? I will get back with you..
yeah, that's what i'm looking for here. i won't hold my breath.

Quote:
But wait, it really won't matter what data I post that shows GMOs consume excessive amounts of water due to the high concentration of of built in herbicides, because if it hasn't been done by Monsanto science or the FDA (aka Monsanto II) then you are not going to accept it anyways...Those who are interested and really want to know will find the truth.
of course it will matter, if you can show us a peer-reviewed scientific article from, say, a university study. we shall see if you are able.

Quote:
Semantics seems to be your preferred game---
shame on me for taking this:

Quote:
groundwater is being depleted at a rapid clip in many of the world’s major aquifers — but one that demands a fresh look and immediate action…
at face value
there's no doubt that is a true statement. your job is show how GM crops have anything to do with it.

Quote:
herbicides "deplete" the available water suply because they CONTAMINATE the aquifers, thereby reducing the ammount of fresh water that is available to a community.
provide actual instances where this happened. your examples should be limited to cases where herbicides associated with GM crops were involved, since that is the topic here.

Quote:
Genetically engineered crops require much more water to grow, have much higher requirements for fertilizer and pesticide, in spite of Monsanto's claims to the contrary and, in spite of their cost to farmers, provide NO increased yield
links for 'much more' water/fertilizer/pesticide requirements, por favor.

mercola, lol! don't you remember me shooting this down over and over again in all those other closed threads?
probably not, since you seem to ignore anything that disagrees with what you've already made up your mind about.

Quote:
In the mean time seems there were a few folks converging in Vermont...

Hundreds of people, many of whom traveled in buses from the far corners of the state, jammed the Statehouse Thursday night to tell the House Agriculture Committee to pass the bill mandating labeling of genetically engineered (GE) food sold in Vermont.

SCORES TESTIFY IN FAVOR OF GM LABELING
zthatz, what does the above paragraph - or ANYTHING you've posted on this thread so far - have to do with the actual topic of biopiracy?

Old 04-17-2012, 03:25 AM

As GMOs are dominating our food supply, they are also driving the cost of production of our food.

"I've gone from budgeting $45 an acre just two years ago to spending more than $100 an acre now to control weeds," said Mississippi farmer John McKee, who grows corn, cotton and soybeans on his 3,300-acre farm in the Delta.

Farmers must spend more on herbicides as effectiveness fades
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living