Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:32 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times

Advertisements

Just when you thought GMOs just might be yummy--

Seems Monsato isn't ready to admit Agent Orange (yes the same stuff used in jungle defoilage and a major carcinogen) is actually dangerous.

Monsanto is asking for clearence to use AGENT ORANGE on our food...

From the article:

At the very same time, the Dow Chemical Company is seeking government deregulation of a new genetically-modified (GM) variety of corn resistant to 2,4-D, the other half of Agent Orange.

Learn more: Class action lawsuit against Monsanto for Agent Orange pollution while Dow seeks deregulation for Agent Orange resistant corn

Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
Why almost nobody cares about this is beyond me. I sign every petition against GMOs, requiring GMO labeling, etc. I hope I don't buy any Monsanto grown product but I don't know. The only way that I can really know at this point is knowing your farmer and what they are growing and/or buying certified organic, especially packaged goods .

I would go here and comment that you do not want this to be allowed. JMO.

Regulations.gov

Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 AM

So is 2,4-D allowed to be sprayed now, or do they need to have both the crop and the herbicide allowed?

Last edited by joe moving; 01-10-2012 at 09:52 AM..

Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 AM

I believe the crop is good to go, but the 2,D-4 needs approval to be sprayed...

Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,777 times
I care, we have banned Monsanto and GMO from our home years ago...

FYI, Monsanto is the owner and developer of AO... Makes sense they only engineer seeds that work with their chems..

It all comes down to voting with your pocket book..

It can be quite challenging to go shopping for non organic items that do not have corn or soy in them. (Which are almost 100% for sure to be GMO)

For example, Canned tuna has soy!!!!

I am a bit burned out on the subject after years of debating the ills of modern industrial agriculture with the pro GMO crowd...

Old 01-11-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
I care, we have banned Monsanto and GMO from our home years ago...

FYI, Monsanto is the owner and developer of AO... Makes sense they only engineer seeds that work with their chems..

It all comes down to voting with your pocket book..

It can be quite challenging to go shopping for non organic items that do not have corn or soy in them. (Which are almost 100% for sure to be GMO)

For example, Canned tuna has soy!!!!

I am a bit burned out on the subject after years of debating the ills of modern industrial agriculture with the pro GMO crowd...
It is tiring. I started in 1995 with the news of dead Monarchs from the corn and the bouncing tomatoes. Seems most people ASS-u-ME if the government allows it, the food has to be good. The mentality is why would the governement aka FDA, allow posion into the system..
for those asking, the answer is MONEY!

I was actually surprised when the public was able to get the rGBH pulled. We as Americans have become all to satisfied with--OH WELL, WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO mindset.

We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-11-2012, 05:28 PM

Yep all about money. They have a very powerful propaganda machine and have employees in the FDA.. It is an uphill battle, but we are getting our victories.. (Oregon sugar beet case)

I optimistically feel awareness is increasing.. I feel the problem is the general public simply does not realize the massive amount of corn and soy they are consuming on a daily basis in processed and sweetened foods.. That in itself would cut the intensity of monocropping, or whatever you call rotating only corn and beans.

Where do I read about rGBH being pulled? I was not aware of that.. It is a big deal in my neck of the woods, and we have had several mid size distributors not use milk from rGBH enhanced cows..

Old 01-12-2012, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Yep all about money. They have a very powerful propaganda machine and have employees in the FDA.. It is an uphill battle, but we are getting our victories.. (Oregon sugar beet case)

I optimistically feel awareness is increasing.. I feel the problem is the general public simply does not realize the massive amount of corn and soy they are consuming on a daily basis in processed and sweetened foods.. That in itself would cut the intensity of monocropping, or whatever you call rotating only corn and beans.

Where do I read about rGBH being pulled? I was not aware of that.. It is a big deal in my neck of the woods, and we have had several mid size distributors not use milk from rGBH enhanced cows..
Many retailers discontinued selling it when the public demanded truth in labeling. The government refused to force the labeling of rGBH, but that did not stop the NON-rGBH from labeling their milk.
I remember the GMO milk folks tried to stop the labeling altogether and claimed if the public knew it did not have rGBH, then those not label would be rGBH and the sales of the rGBH would drop..LOL...

I will look for the article..also it turns out rGBH killed cows, cause birth defects and sterility..who'd a thunk genetic modifications could be so much fun!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Many retailers discontinued selling it when the public demanded truth in labeling. The government refused to force the labeling of rGBH, but that did not stop the NON-rGBH from labeling their milk.
I remember the GMO milk folks tried to stop the labeling altogether and claimed if the public knew it did not have rGBH, then those not label would be rGBH and the sales of the rGBH would drop..LOL...

I will look for the article..also it turns out rGBH killed cows, cause birth defects and sterility..who'd a thunk genetic modifications could be so much fun!
Let alone what it did to the cows!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:22 AM

So no growth hormones are used on milk cows anymore?

Last edited by joe moving; 01-13-2012 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living