Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:18 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,243,082 times

Advertisements

Wow, this is shocking even to someone who's as cynical about the American plutocracy as I am. And of course it happens in the most right wing "small gov't" states. What hypocrisy.

Living off the grid becomes illegal in Florida | praag.org

This time, it’s Robin Speronis that’s come under fire. She lives off the grid in Florida, completely independent of the city’s water and electric system. A few weeks ago, officials ruled her off-grid home illegal. Officials cited the International Property Maintenance Code, which mandates that homes be connected to an electricity grid and a running water source. That’s just like saying our dependency on corporations isn’t even a choice.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:36 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,749,458 times
Why in the world does anyone desire to live off-grid and still reside within a city ?

Certainly city laws are more stringent than if you lived out in a rural area.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:08 AM

863 posts, read 1,197,366 times
...............WOW. I'm with you geos. As cynical as I've become about the US government over the years, occasionally, a story like this rocks even me on my heels. SMH - It's like nobody's even trying to hide the fact anymore that we're being herded like sheep to slaughter.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:22 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
I have heard city council meeting where they were proposing water lines in areas that did not have any residences simply so they could tax people more for the water CAPABILITY in the area.
Greed is the word folks .

Old 05-10-2014, 12:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Wow, this is shocking even to someone who's as cynical about the American plutocracy as I am. And of course it happens in the most right wing "small gov't" states. What hypocrisy.

Living off the grid becomes illegal in Florida | praag.org

This time, it’s Robin Speronis that’s come under fire. She lives off the grid in Florida, completely independent of the city’s water and electric system. A few weeks ago, officials ruled her off-grid home illegal. Officials cited the International Property Maintenance Code, which mandates that homes be connected to an electricity grid and a running water source. That’s just like saying our dependency on corporations isn’t even a choice.
If this is a statewide law and you arent in agreement with it maybe its time to change those who would enact such laws?"

While one could have his house hooked up to the grid i doubt theres a law saying you have to use anything coming off that grid.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:29 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If this is a statewide law and you arent in agreement with it maybe its time to change those who would enact such laws?"

While one could have his house hooked up to the grid i doubt theres a law saying you have to use anything coming off that grid.
The utilities will charge you fees whether you use anything or not.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:42 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,749,458 times
Don't move to an area that has laws/ rules you disagree with.
SIMPLE !

Old 05-10-2014, 03:40 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,184,564 times
Yet another example of overzealous government control. It doesn't seem right that a homeowner can be forced to have things that they don't need, want or use when the lack of these things causes no harm to anyone. I am getting extremely tired of control-freak bureaucrats trying to micromanage everyone's lives and bleed them for every cent possible. That's freedom?!?

Old 05-10-2014, 03:47 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,463,511 times
A few years back I was at an industry event and asked some of the kit homes manufacturers (off grid related) about their product and the subsequent municipal codes when one tries to build (permit etc...). The vendors were from Arizona and it didn't matter there either, it seems with all the talk of sustainability and environmentalism etc... it is all about the municipality / corporations getting the money. If the utilities put anything in close proximity the builder seems to have to pay for the right to not use it.

R. Buckminster Fuller expressed it very well when he said if they (corporations) can't meter the energy use, they don't want it for the general public to use. Yet these types will use the technology for themselves.

If more people / systems are self- managing /providing / sufficient the bureaucratic / administrative statist types become less relevant. They don't like that.

The only thing I agree with on the municipality side is ensuring that waste type / environmental concerns to neighbors within certain proximity are being covered i.e. so that you don't have some negligent type destroying or impacting a larger area under the guise of being self sufficient.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:50 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,837,514 times
Hmm, a bit more on the story:

https://news.yahoo.com/blogs/odd-new...234050584.html

Quote:
Also discussed at the special hearing was the fact that Speronis had been using the sewer system for the past year yet not paying for the service amassing a past due bill in the thousands. After her testimony admitting that she had used the service without paying for it, the city decided to cap the sewer line. Connie Barron, Cape Coral spokesperson told The News-Press, “She also gave clear indications she does not intend to pay for this service but intends to continue to use the system. We really had no choice but to cap the sewer.”
She's also apparently tangled with the legal system over not returning earnest money in real estate transactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living