Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:44 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times

Advertisements

How many people that embrace the "green" movement, if it can be called that, own Apple products?

Tim Cook sweeps Apple's inconvenient truths under a solar panel

It would seem that supporting Apple through purchases of its products is anything but "green". This isn't limited to Apple of course, I doubt any other makers of electronic goods are any better but this happens to be in the news.

If you attend any alternative energy or eco/green events, notice how many people have iPhones or iPads? Plenty. Isn't that hypocritical or is the justification that the ends justify the means valid in this case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 11:29 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
I am hardly the person to defend Apple... But the article does say:

That said, the company has been making strides to improve its environmental record. A few years ago, Apple was regularly slammed by Greenpeace in the pressure group's semi-annual green ratings, but that has now changed and its cloud data centers make more use of renewable power than most in the IT industry.

A lot of the motivating force behind this shift has come from Cook himself – while Steve Jobs might have espoused granola values, he was very tardy in practicing what he preached. Cook is much more forthright, telling investors that if they didn't want Apple to worry about the environment they should sell their stock.

There's plenty of greenwashing in the technology industry, and an awful lot of the "environmental improvements" companies are making are simply good economic cost-saving measures rather than a desire to improve the planet we live on.

Apple should get a measure of kudos for their recent efforts, but something tells us Tim Cook will have a long way to go before he's hailed as the environment's savior.

--

My opinion - due to public pressure and appearance they are becoming "green". So, yes, it is about the almighty dollar, and that is the pressure being used today to get companies to become more "green".

Would like to see how Microsoft, Blackberry, Nokia, Qualcomm, and Samsung stack up too. Because if you don't have an "i" device, you probably have one of those three at the moment or at least are using their chips. Unless of course you are totally off grid and never use electronics at all.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:41 AM

Delve a little deeper and you find that Apple, along with other Cloud players are using the "dirtiest" type of energy to power their cloud based initiatives. The source if Greenpeace so take that how you think of them.

Facades of going green are showing up faster than China can make solar panels. Great strides in one area while the new technologies get dirtier all the time.

Compare Google to Apple and Apple looks like a backwater silt factory in comparison.

With all the money that Apple has, it could have easily powered new technology developments with renewable energy resources. It doesn't and doesn't even come close.

That is not to say the likes of Microsoft are doing much better if at all but the story was about Apple.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:16 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Delve a little deeper and you find that Apple, along with other Cloud players are using the "dirtiest" type of energy to power their cloud based initiatives. The source if Greenpeace so take that how you think of them.

Facades of going green are showing up faster than China can make solar panels. Great strides in one area while the new technologies get dirtier all the time.

Compare Google to Apple and Apple looks like a backwater silt factory in comparison.

With all the money that Apple has, it could have easily powered new technology developments with renewable energy resources. It doesn't and doesn't even come close.

That is not to say the likes of Microsoft are doing much better if at all but the story was about Apple.
Greenpeace! You know how much oil their boats burn a year! I think the Esperanza is running Busch/Sulzers those things pump out a ton of smoke!!!

Old 04-22-2014, 12:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
If you don't post a reference to the exact source of your comment it's impossible to verify its accuracy. So I went looking, and what I found about Greenpeace's latest report, just released, seems to be at odds with your claims. This is why posting links or citations to the material you base your statements on is so important.

Quote:
In its latest report Clickin Clean, on big datacentre operators’ environmental performance, Greenpeace recognised the efforts Apple, Google, eBay and Facebook have made towards improving energy efficiency in their IT operations.
The report describes Google, Facebook, Apple and to a certain degree even Yahoo as “green Internet innovators” because of their commitment to renewable energy.

Facebook powers its IT infrastructure with 100% renewable energy sources, while Google is using wind energy in its facilities as part of its carbon neutrality commitment.

Google became the first North American company to obtain ISO 50001 certification for its energy management systems in its datacentre facilities.

Meanwhile, Apple has acquired a hydroelectric power facility near its datacentre in Oregon to further reinforce its commitment to sustainable energy sources for its IT facilities.

Apple also uses solar, geothermal and wind energy, alongside Google and Facebook. Apple’s environmental report showed that only 2% of its carbon footprint was directly related to IT facilities.

Greenpeace singles out datacentre firms for lack of energy efficiency
Quote:
Apple, meanwhile, is lauded as the most improved company since Greenpeace's last report in 2012. As it stands, 100 percent of the Cupertino, Calif., company's data centers are powered by clean energy, which includes power sources such as wind and solar.

Even Facebook, once the subject of Greenpeace's displeasure, is now being celebrated for its efforts in working toward a clean energy footprint. In 2010, Greenpeace publicly chastised Facebook for building data centers powered by coal. Four years later, the environmental organization has changed its tune entirely, and is now holding up Facebook as the poster child for the green Internet movement.
Greenpeace's report takes an in-depth look at how 19 global IT companies are balancing their data storage needs with the environmental concerns that come along with having 2.5 billion people connected to the Internet. Overall, save for stragglers like Amazon, the not-for-profit company was pleased with how the IT industry is embracing renewable energy sources.

"While the Internet energy appetite is growing quickly, we're finding that for the first time, a growing number of technology leaders, led by Apple, Facebook, and Google, are working to power the Internet with 100 percent renewable energy -- and that is a major shift," Pomerantz said.

In addition to Apple and Facebook, Greenpeace applauded Box, Google, Rackspace, and Salesforce for their commitments to power data centers with 100 percent renewable energy.

Apple praised, Amazon shamed in Greenpeace report on clean energy - CNET
Meanwhile, if you want to go to the source, here's the actual Greenpeace report:

http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/Global...ckingclean.pdf

PS, I am no fan of Apple, personally, and have never owned any Apple products, but I am a huge fan of accuracy.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Greenpeace! You know how much oil their boats burn a year! I think the Esperanza is running Busch/Sulzers those things pump out a ton of smoke!!!
Just citing them as a source of some info, not saying they are accurate which is why I included the qualifier.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,689 times
GASP! Are you saying capitalist corporations, created to exploit capital, would try to monetize the green movement to their own advantage as they are created to do!

Ohh the (predictable) horror!

Old 04-29-2014, 11:06 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Just citing them as a source of some info, not saying they are accurate which is why I included the qualifier.
Understood....Just pointing out how bad some of these greens are polluting when they tell you not to....Like you should put a ocycat on your lawn mower but don't worry about my 4000 hp diesels smoking up the oceans

Old 04-29-2014, 11:27 AM

The "greens" often are the do as I say not as I do crowd. They pull up in their hybrid or electric car (they probably all ran out to buy Teslas) for show and drive them to the airport to fly out on private jets for the next seminar.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:35 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
The "greens" often are the do as I say not as I do crowd. They pull up in their hybrid or electric car (they probably all ran out to buy Teslas) for show and drive them to the airport to fly out on private jets for the next seminar.
Ooooo, you forget Al Gore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living