Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:21 AM

141 posts, read 205,785 times

Advertisements

If there were hills here I might consider an ebike, but I get by fine on my 8-year-old hybrid. I might get studded tires this winter since it can get pretty icy, but none of my destinations are more than a mile so I don't mind the cold.

I made a conscious choice to live in a place where I can do everything I need without a car. It's a very different pace than living in suburban sprawl or a hectic city, and that's something I enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 04:59 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times
I would love to replace the car in my life fully with bicycles and electric bicycles. But although I live around the Henry Hudson Bicycle Trail, I still think there aren't enough bicycle trails to get me safely around to be able to use them fully.

I don't think bicycles and cars should mix on the roads at all. Bicycles should have their own roads everywhere.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:58 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I have contemplated doing this for my office. I have a work vehicle I can drive home if the weather gets nasty. But I could really only do this for about 6 to 8 months out of the year, because the weather in Tennessee can get ugly in the winter.

My major concern, at this point, is the 1 mile stretch of country road I would have to travel with no bike lane, no side walk, no nothing. Just the road. People drive 55 through there, and I would have to get to the interstate before I had a dedicated bike lane to take the whole way.

Its an interesting idea, but is it worth the 800 to 2000 I'd pay for one. I haven't decided as of yet.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:35 PM

148 posts, read 248,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osric View Post
I made a conscious choice to live in a place where I can do everything I need without a car. It's a very different pace than living in suburban sprawl or a hectic city, and that's something I enjoy.
Where I am is the definition of Suburban Sprawl.

I am sad

Old 08-27-2014, 02:19 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,179 times
I'm an avid cyclist and I would not replace my car with an e-bike entirely. I would be open to buy one to use as a grocery- getter and for close-by errands on occasion. I would prefer to use my own power to travel by bicycle.

In terms of e-bike cons I'm not sure there are any. E-bikes are making big strides and many companies are now producing them.

-Cheers.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:03 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
In terms of e-bike cons I'm not sure there are any. E-bikes are making big strides and many companies are now producing them.
As noted in a previous post, over 27 million Chinese are now using electric cycles, so I see a tremendous potential for product development and market leadership.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:37 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I don't think bicycles and cars should mix on the roads at all. Bicycles should have their own roads everywhere.
Not practical and that is silly. I ride 20-25 mph on an unaided, standard road bike (not even an ebike). Why should I be relegated to trails? Most bike paths impose a 15 mph speed limit. I have just as much of a right to use the roads as any other vehicle. The speed limit on my commute is 30 mph, so there is no reason for me not to be on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
Only if you take partial responsibility for your own safety, it is safer. Putting your responsibilities off on the motorist isn't sharing the road, or the rules. Remember you can't scream share the road, if you aren't willing to share the same road rules.
Funny, this is a massive strawman argument. Where have I ever suggested that bicycles don't use the same road rules? I obey all traffic laws.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:47 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Not practical and that is silly. I ride 20-25 mph on an unaided, standard road bike (not even an ebike). Why should I be relegated to trails? Most bike paths impose a 15 mph speed limit. I have just as much of a right to use the roads as any other vehicle. The speed limit on my commute is 30 mph, so there is no reason for me not to be on the street.

Funny, this is a massive strawman argument. Where have I ever suggested that bicycles don't use the same road rules? I obey all traffic laws.
Do You pay a bike tax like a gas tax for up keep of those roads?

Old 09-01-2014, 07:15 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Do You pay a bike tax like a gas tax for up keep of those roads?
Does a bike actually cause any significant wear and tear on a road in the first place, the way cars and trucks do?

Old 09-01-2014, 07:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Does a bike actually cause any significant wear and tear on a road in the first place, the way cars and trucks do?
No, which is pretty much the point.

If you notice, there is also no special sidewalk tax on pedestrians, nor alley tax on cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living