Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
BTW, what's the difference between e-bikes and mopeds?
Depends on who you ask.

I don't think there are hard and fast rules or definitions, but moped is an older term... derived from "motor pedal"... for a bicycle with a small gasoline motor attached, that could be pedaled like a bike, or the motor started up for a little faster speed or effortless hill climbing.

In recent years the term moped has acquired legal status as a class of motor vehicles in various venues. In Hawai'i mopeds are defined as motor driven cycles with a 50CC or smaller engine that does not exceed 30 mph. Mopeds are licensed as bicycles, and do not require a Motor Vehicle Operators license. Most recently the "ped" part has largely been abandoned in new designs that resemble small scooters or motorcycles, rather than the bicycle + motor form factor of the earlier mopeds.

e-bikes is of newer coinage, to designate electric cycles. Some have a bicycle form-factor, some are more like scooters, but they all are powered by electric motors and rechargeable batteries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 11:26 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The cons are the idiots who ride them at 15-20 mph on pedestrian walkways.
Actually, it depends on where you live. While we do have some bike lanes here in Florida, most bike riders ride on the sidewalks, and it is not only legal but encouraged. Down here few people walk on the sidewalks, so it isn't like bikers are mowing down pedestrians. To ride a bike in traffic here is asking for trouble............whenever I see some fool doing it I feel like yelling to him to get on the sidewalk where it is safe.

Don

Old 07-31-2014, 11:59 PM

17 posts, read 37,168 times
It's true, relying on only bicycles would be tough year-round in Missoula. We previously lived in San Diego and we used them a LOT there, though the challenge was the layout of the city - everything is really spread out and connected by freeways. I agree with OpenD that these work better in an urban environment like San Francisco or New York. My family briefly lived in Buenos Aires and owning a car there was a major pain, so again, e-bikes would be a great alternative.

Per Mack Knife's comment, there are idiot drivers everywhere, driving all classes of vehicle. I think if we start respecting bikes and creating more bike lanes and requiring bikers to follow traffic rules and regulations, then bicyclists would annoy motorists and pedestrians much less.

I would just love to see more transportation options in this country besides the car! Maybe it's a pipe dream, but one we can slowly work toward as we plan our cities and urban areas.

Ruth4Truth: a moped uses gasoline, an electric bicycle is essentially a normal bicycle that is retrofitted with a motor on one wheel that is powered by a battery that can be recharged.

BTW, if anyone is interested, my family and I are planning crossing the US via electric bicycle to break the World Record for the longest e-bike ride! Here's our website: Camper Clan

Old 08-03-2014, 03:06 PM

Great link, thanks! I'm writing a blog post on e-bikes, this is some great info to add to the post!

Old 08-06-2014, 06:34 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
I completely replaced my car with regular bicycles about three years ago (and I had done it before, but I went back to a car later). Personally I don't have a strong need for an electric bike over my regular bike(s), but for people who have long commutes and/or trouble pedaling up hills, they seem like a good idea. Another good use for one might be attaching a trailer and using the electric assist when you need to haul very heavy loads. I wouldn't mind having one when I'm towing 80-120 pounds on my trailer, but I don't do it frequently enough to justify the cost of a e-bike.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:18 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Ruth4Truth, the thing with mopeds is the scare factor. I used to have an early morning paper route I delivered (150 papers) in a small town and surrounding rural area. I was scooting along one morning, topped out at 37 MPH, and happened to look over at the Great Dane, trotting alongside, looking at me eye to eye. lol

Old 08-06-2014, 09:35 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biking Momma View Post
My family and I have been building and riding our own electric bicycles for years, and would eventually like to use our electric cruisers 100% of the time instead of our car. I know the practicality of this depends largely on where you live, but I was wondering what people think in general about using e-bikes on a daily basis.

Pros: they are faster, take you farther, can power you and your groceries up hills, are zero emission, and because you have to pedal too they keep you fit.

What are the cons?
It's a one stop trip. Home to where you are going, where you are to home.

A thing about a car is that it is a traveling lockbox. It's a mobile bunker. For all the things that one might have to do during a day, they don't have to carry all of it all through the day.

If one needs heavy gear during part of the day, such as scuba, it can be in the car while they are at class, used, put back in the car, go back to class.

If one is wearing a gun and the store says "No, thank you" to such, then it can be locked in the car. Further, there is a degree more of privacy as it is locked, unlocked in the car.

Finally, if one lives by going to the grocery say once a month, the bike won't work for that unless one has a lot of friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Statistics would disagree. Bikes have a lower fatality rate than cars per hour. When the health benefits are taken into account, they are actually a lot safer.
Well having been hit twice, at least, by a car, many near misses, and a doozy or two of a wreck that left me scurrying out of the middle of the road, I would take issue with that statement in what constitutes safe?

Now we might say, "Ahhh, but that was with cars. If everyone rode and there were no cars, then it would be safer."

Would it? I honestly think I'm on of the 2% who obeys traffic laws when riding. I stop at stop signs and lights, I ride on the proper side of the road, I don't go anywhere and everywhere just because I can, I don't use the center turn lane as my personal bike lane, etc..........................

.........................................but practically daily, I see a lot of bikers who do.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:10 PM

LampLight: I think e-bikes are not for everyone, just like regular bikes aren't for everyone. If you're in good physical condition and don't have any major issues, a regular bicycle is fine. But for some people - elderly or handicapped people, a regular bike might not work. Or if you have a long commute and don't want to arrive too sweaty. Also if you're like me and you have 2 kids to haul around and don't want to use a car all the time, an e-bike is a nice compromise. There are different solutions to different people. What I don't understand is all the backlash I get from traditional bicycle "purists." I would think they would be happy with less cars on the road in general, as I think e-bikes appeal more to people would drive their car anyway, but might do something different if there was another option.

TamaraSavannah: Cars are definitely more convenient, there's no question there. But at what cost? That's what we need to examine. You can get a cargo bike or extra bike racks for your gear. People even carry surf boards on bikes, and tools and ladders. You would need to get a bit more organized and plan your trips and what things you need to bring if you were to use just an e-bike instead of a car, but it's doable.

Of course, in ice and snow, all that goes out the window I guess

Old 08-07-2014, 04:05 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biking Momma View Post
......TamaraSavannah: Cars are definitely more convenient, there's no question there. But at what cost? That's what we need to examine. You can get a cargo bike or extra bike racks for your gear. People even carry surf boards on bikes, and tools and ladders. You would need to get a bit more organized and plan your trips and what things you need to bring if you were to use just an e-bike instead of a car, but it's doable. ........
As I come back from the rifle range, do you want me locking my pistol and rifle in a cargo bike when I can't go into a store with them?

Old 08-07-2014, 04:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
As I come back from the rifle range, do you want me locking my pistol and rifle in a cargo bike when I can't go into a store with them?
Why focus on negatives that really don't affect very many people? If an electric bike doesn't work for you, don't get one.

Simple, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living