Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,144,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Sorry, ALL news sources are biased in some regard. Even natural news. I found an article from The New York Times as well but you might not like them either. Yes, this is nothing new but we are not talking about someone who is damming up a stream here.
If everyone is doing it then you have what amounts to millions of little dams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 09:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,144,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
That is very likely because he is on a grid-tie interconnect. When the outside power lines go down, the interconnect HAS to go down with it for the safety of the linemen working on the grid, so the power system doesn't back-feed the grid.
They have automatic transfer switches for this.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:42 AM

242 posts, read 414,461 times
I think more and more states will come on board and allow rainwater collection. Some states will never designate one way or another...mostly in the areas where water is plentiful. I hope people look and see what the allowances are where they are BEFORE making claims how oppressed they are. LOL. I see folks from CO whining about this issue ('cus some folks always whine and wear the tin foil hat >no matter what<) and we are allowed to collect rainwater (from your roof) here... Duh.

Studies I've seen show that less than 10% of the water off your roof actually "runs off" to be collected in a stream/etc. and that collecting RW offsets the needs for treated water.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:50 AM

384 posts, read 508,706 times
The prohibition on capturing rain water isn't unusual in Colorado at all and is completely backed by numerous state laws.

Most people don't own the water rights to their land and as such, you do NOT own the water that falls on it. If your grass uses some of it - that's ok, but beyond that, you can't divert or collect that water in any way - since it's not yours. Someone purchased the rights to that water and they expect that runoff to appear in the ditch, stream, etc., where it is naturally planned to flow. And flow meters are all over the place to make sure someone upstream isn't diverting the water and to determine which right holder gets to take what amount of the water from that source.

You also can't drill a well on your property unless you own the right to do so. And even then, you may have secondary or tertiary rights, meaning you only get your water after the primary right holder has taken all of their water.

Water Law FAQs | Denver Water

You'll see on the above page, links to several interesting water rights questions. Including the fact that Colorado could in fact start storing more water than we currently do - cutting off a portion of California's water supply as they are now getting more than they are legally entitled to. (Not that we have all the storage needed to do this, but legally, it could get ugly).

There are also times when Colorado has to let water flow south when it is in the middle of a drought, because those states are entitled to a certain amount of water - even when the snow pack for that year may not allow for everyone to get "their share".

As someone noted early - whisky is for drinking, water is for fighting.

I know this seems completely foreign to folks from the midwest/east (like myself), but water rights are very important out here and something often fought over. It's one reason many folks are not fans of fracking for oil/gas - that uses a lot of water. Thus, oil companies have been big buyers of water rights, especially on the western slope.

Another example: Lake Dillon near Breckenridge is owned by Denver Water - who did a good job a hundred years ago securing water rights all over the state to protect the water supply to the city of Denver. You can boat on Lake Dillon, and you can swim in it (though its VERY cold - snow melt), but those mountain folks can't drink that water. When needed, Denver Water pumps that water up the mountain and over the continental divide to get it to it's front range storage facilities.

And yes, this actually impacts ski resort snow making some times. If there isn't enough water flowing through those streams/headwaters, a resort without abundant water rights can't take the water out to spray it on the mountains and make snow.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:53 AM

""As a result, in much of the state, it is illegal to divert rainwater falling on your property expressly for a certain use unless you have a very old water right or during occasional periods when there is a surplus of water in the river system. This is especially true in the urban, suburban, and rural areas along the Front Range.""

http://water.state.co.us/DWRIPub/Doc...waterFlyer.pdf

So, yes, Colorado Law makes collecting rain water illegal for most people.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:58 PM

242 posts, read 414,461 times
Thanks for the clarification/etc. on the collection laws Step 33. I was not aware there were such rigid restrictions on who can collect rainwater. (though I am very familiar with basic water rights/etc)

Fortunately for us, after checking the info you provided, our DOMESTIC well permit/rural/non FR location seems to allow us this right should we desire to use it. However, it seems ironic that it is connected to a Domestic right that allows (limited)outside use...but hey...it's Gov't so I'm not gonna ask WHY.

The most we can hope for is a ample snowpack. Such a thing seems to quell all the WR issues...at least up here in the high country/at the source. Last year was a good example from my observation. Thanks again for the info.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:34 PM

Rainbow Demon, glad that might work out for you!

Old 03-04-2015, 03:23 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,011,137 times
Looks to me like this is confined to Colorado.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 AM

78,647 posts, read 60,839,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Sorry, ALL news sources are biased in some regard. Even natural news. I found an article from The New York Times as well but you might not like them either. Yes, this is nothing new but we are not talking about someone who is damming up a stream here. When the state or city is telling you that you cannot collect rain water in a barrel, then something is wrong with that. If you look at Rainbow Demon's post you can see states where it's legal & illegal to harness rain water. If you are not harming anyone then city/state has no right to tell you that you can't have solar/ collect rain water period.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/29/us/29rain.html?_r=0
Ok, so I put in a 5,000 home subdivision up the valley from you for miles....give them cisterns and rain barrels....now your stream is gone but it's ok! It's not due to a "dam".

Then the same people that want their rights would start screaming how the other people were taking their water lol.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:12 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,526,343 times
If the drought in California continues, this won't matter there. You can't collect rain water unless it rains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living