Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:08 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times

Advertisements

I've heard about this happening in some states much like have a solar panel is illegal in some.
What gives the government the right to ban/ make these things illegal? Is this a growing trend?

Collecting rainwater now illegal in many states as Big Government claims ownership over our water - NaturalNews.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jjxg8f3Gq0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qarEg-X0WnQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,757,752 times
I have to wonder how in the world this would be enforceable. The rainwater collection system we just set up can't be seen from the road because the tank is at the back of the house. It just seems like one of those things you could do pretty discretely.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Under Western Water Law someone else already owns the water that flows off your roof. Western Water law is very complex and sometimes nearly insane but it is what it is. I suggest checking your deed to see if the water is already allocated and to what or who.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:58 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,298,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I have to wonder how in the world this would be enforceable. The rainwater collection system we just set up can't be seen from the road because the tank is at the back of the house. It just seems like one of those things you could do pretty discretely.
Yeah, until Google earth snaps a photo of it for the world to see. I agree about the law being stupid. What's next? The ground water that seeps into wells and springs isn't yours either? I'd better not give them any ideas.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:59 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,757,752 times
I will have to research it. I know in our county, all water run-off from your property has to be contained and diverted (meaning the downspouts of new construction homes flow to a tank and drain field set-up underground).

I wonder if some of the concern is because people will use water straight from the first tank for drinking and cooking. Thank can't be good for you with a standard asphalt 3-tab roof.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:29 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times
So does that mean when the rain water causes damage to our property we can sue the government because "their" water has caused damage to "our" property? Try that one...

Old 03-02-2015, 10:35 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I will have to research it. I know in our county, all water run-off from your property has to be contained and diverted (meaning the downspouts of new construction homes flow to a tank and drain field set-up underground).
They are trying to recreate a natural process to replenish the ground water and help prevent flooding. If left to nature it has groundcover that holds the water and wetlands that may be no bigger than a large puddle. That all ads up and it has chance to seep into the ground. If you are diverting all the water directly into waterways it has no chance to do that plus you have the flooding issue.

As far as the water laws out west, it's scarce commodity.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:36 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
So does that mean when the rain water causes damage to our property we can sue the government because "their" water has caused damage to "our" property? Try that one...

Good point!

Old 03-02-2015, 11:45 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Yeah, until Google earth snaps a photo of it for the world to see. I agree about the law being stupid. What's next? The ground water that seeps into wells and springs isn't yours either? I'd better not give them any ideas.
In the water-poor west, that is exactly the situation. You can own 20 acres of land, but if you don't have water rights you can't drill a well or even water your horses at the stream that crosses your property. You can plant crops but are forbidden from moving water from one part of your property to another to irrigate them, unless you purchase water and haul it in from elsewhere. Literally unthinkable in the water rich eastern half of the country.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:49 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Water is going to become scarcer and scarcer and there will be more and more laws about it. There just isn't enough to go around and it's not like you can do without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living