Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 09:42 PM

569 posts, read 552,168 times

Advertisements

If you lay your habitations in the right ways, I guess everywhere is virtually sustainable for the green living.

See: in Chinese fengshui, a house was best sitting on its back from the northern winds, and the opening of the house was facing the South. In those days, the open of a habitation were the threshing floors. Hence, these were what Sinim geos about; don’t be deceived by the diviners who claim they would help your posterities becoming the emperors or becoming richer.

Although the layouts of a habitation were important, the building blocks were to make differences, too. A marble floor would make your summers cooler in Africa.

The neighbors were the other factors. The good neighbors would provide the neighborhood watch. The others would just dig the golds that you paved for the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 03:24 PM

371 posts, read 337,778 times
Panapolic: Yeah Seattle can be a bit chilly due to the fog cover. I love the warmish misty weather(low 70's high 60's) that is frequent in coastal places. But I'm sure solar panels and passive solar heating don't work very well in places without much sun to begin with!

If we add growing food to the equation I think that drops the favorability of deserts somewhat due to likelihood of having to cool a greenhouse. I recall a lot of work being done in Colorado-which is nuts as it is very cold there!

Old 11-10-2015, 08:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I figure the least expensive way is to summer in the Northeast and winter in the Southwest. We do not have to air condition our small condo in a New Hampshire summer and heating a properly sighted adobe house in central New Mexico would not take that much, beyond a wood stove, in the winter.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:58 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I figure the least expensive way is to summer in the Northeast and winter in the Southwest. We do not have to air condition our small condo in a New Hampshire summer and heating a properly sighted adobe house in central New Mexico would not take that much, beyond a wood stove, in the winter.
Between the North East and the South West, which region has more Net-Zero homes, I wonder?

Old 11-11-2015, 11:21 PM

371 posts, read 337,778 times
Hmmm...migratory. somewhere on the web was a carbon footprint for mobile vs standard housing. The big disadvantage of moving is needing to be small..so unless you sonehow owned two plots growing would be out of the picture

Old 11-17-2015, 08:08 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
You can live "green" in any climate.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:40 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Anywhere with moderate temperatures.

I live in upstate NY, and the biggest chunk of my carbon footprint is home heating. And that's with a high-efficiency heater and a programmable thermostat.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:41 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
There are micro-climates with desirable temps in many places although there may be older homes there because the first people to arrive quickly figured out where the high land was (above flood grade), where good soil was for growing crops, where the summer breezes are and where the home is protected from winter cold blasts.

Much of this valuable information got lost when air-conditioning became affordable for the average person and realtors sure don't know this information.

I live in SW Florida near the coast on a canal connected to the bay by a creek. We really have needed A/C this past summer because of way above average temps, even now in November it above normal. We have a neighbor down the street who lives at the end of the canal on what is called a "tip lot". That means he is on the creek not the canal. It also means he gets breezes off the creek and bay that we don't get and he rarely needs to run his A/C.

Another example: Our neighbor told us the builder got the floor plan right on our home because the chilly winter winds come from the east (inland) here and the summer breezes come from the west (water). Our home blocks the winter chill but is open to the summer breezes. Our neighbors house is built backwards.

If Florida used it's solar potential the same way Germany is we would have much lower utility bills but it's just too expensive for the average homeowner to go solar. The payback period is much too long. Do people do it anyway? Yes, I was in a 100% solar home of 3,000 s.f. and they were getting money back from Florida Power & Light each month, selling their excess power. This is exactly what power companies do not want to happen.

We could have chosen to live anywhere in the US, Mexico or Canada and chose Florida. Love the temperature and outdoor availability. We used to do 6 months up north summer and 6 months winter Florida but that gets old.

Florida has an abundance of fresh spring water aquifers running through the limestone surface.It's a shame so much of our water is being sold for pennies to water bottlers who sell it in plastic bottles. Can you own a property with a freshwater spring on it? Yes, from Ocala and north there are some properties with springs. There are also mosquitos and snakes and gators and rednecks, etc. Florida is a land of fruits and nuts, the human kind and the plant kind.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:33 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
The temperature difference between a comfortable house when it's hot (say 40 degrees) is smaller than a comfortable house when it is really cold (55 degrees).
The answer is going to be a mild climate like south carolina, southern california etc.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:57 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
The temperature difference between a comfortable house when it's hot (say 40 degrees) is smaller than a comfortable house when it is really cold (55 degrees).
The answer is going to be a mild climate like south carolina, southern california etc.
Be careful of droughts and water-stress.

There are more options of home heating without consuming energy, as compared to home cooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living