Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 08:12 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
You act like you own the place. Very sad indeed.
I practically do. My tax dollars fund it. Just so you criminals can be removed from society and allow for law abiding citizens to live in peace. Maybe one day you will follow the laws and live a meaningful and productive live among the law-abiding citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 09:28 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Says the mutt to the other mutt. Which laws? The ones that protect the rich & the powerful? The one YOU think that everyone should follow? No thank you. IF I want to trade a cow for a tractor then I will.
You follow that asset swaps are just asset swaps?

If the cow is worth $XXXX and the tractor $XXXX (I am trying to say equal value) and neither represent earnings nor unearned gains . . . the net gain (and so the tax) is Zero.

Everyone is fine with that.

I am thinking there is a LOT of dialog in this discussion where an understanding of even the basic concepts are lacking.

----------------------------------

So I am going to go back to harassing the Navy guys --- squids, squids, squids . . .

Old 01-04-2016, 01:32 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I practically do. My tax dollars fund it. Just so you criminals can be removed from society and allow for law abiding citizens to live in peace. Maybe one day you will follow the laws and live a meaningful and productive live among the law-abiding citizens.

We all pay our taxes & we all do. I am starting to wonder if you know what a criminal really is.
You toss that word around a lot do you know what it means without having to look it up? Do you sit around in your over priced condo/ house & look down on the rest of the world because you claim to pay a lot in taxes & believe that your better then the rest of us? I bet you do. Those laws you speak so highly of do you understand people like me (blue collar workers) make life easier for you to live in your over priced house & drive an expensive car? This country of which your family came immigrated to however long ago
used to barter to survive. At some point ALL your distant relatives did. How does it feel to be related to criminals?

Last edited by reed067; 01-04-2016 at 01:47 AM..

Old 01-04-2016, 03:44 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,398,253 times
Any kind of alternative to the banking system has no future, the maximum a miserable present

Old 01-04-2016, 07:08 AM

988 posts, read 682,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post

Soccer Mom 1 picks up Soccer Mom 2's kid after practice in exchange for having her kid picked up a day later. This goes on for a year with an unequal number of rides between the two moms. The value of each ride is different, because Soccer Mom 1's car is different from Soccer Mom 2's car, and Soccer Mom 1 lives 5 miles further away . Fair market value of each individual ride is easy to quantify by checking prices for a ride of various distance on Uber for various types of cars, and by checking prices with the local taxi company. The difference in value between the two services over the course of the year could be many thousands of dollars.

There is no question that what the Soccer Moms are doing meets the IRS definition of barter, an exchange of goods or services between individuals or businesses. Are these two Soccer Moms lawless criminals, because they do not report this barter on their taxes? If your answer is no, then why not?

What about an old guy who asks a neighbor to pick the paper up while he is on vacation for two weeks, in exchange for doing the same favor for the neighbor, except it only turns out to be one week? He has benefitted from an unequal exchange, and would have had to pay a neighborhood kid to pick up his paper otherwise. Is the old guy a lawless criminal because he does not report this on his taxes? If your answer is no, then why not?

Last edited by unwillingphoenician; 01-04-2016 at 07:55 AM..

Old 01-04-2016, 07:25 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Many (and I mean a lot) don't pay their fair share to the best of their ability and the law. Take a look at people who purchase goods online and don't pay sales/use tax on them. There are many who evade those taxes. Even on this forum, I've run into several people who defend there lifestyle of evading these taxes.
They don't pay it because they don't even know about it. On top of that there are a huge % of jobs that pay tips that the gubmint can't get their grubby mits on. Go to any part of a large urban center with immigrants and barter is simply a way of life and the IRS isn't going to waste time chasing it. Ever see the signs discount for cash? It happens way more than you think.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:15 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
The concept of "diminishing returns" means that the IRS will not look for small bartering transactions to levy fines or even criminal charges. They (meaning us the US citizens) want everyone to pay their share of taxes. So if a corporation (who are "people" now per the Supreme Court) uses bartering to avoid taxes we would object, right? We want them to pay taxes.

Do we need to spend $100,00 of IRS time/effort to pursue little people who trade eggs for string beans? No, of course not.
Are people who do this guilty of evading taxes? Only technically but applying maximum law to a minimum action would be ridiculous.

This thread is sounding like a tempest in a teapot, splitting hairs about angels dancing on pinheads. There are numerous "laws" that are never enforced every day because it would result in a police state. Let's go after the big tax cheats and let the little "jaywalkers" alone.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:24 AM

988 posts, read 682,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
The concept of "diminishing returns" means that the IRS will not look for small bartering transactions to levy fines or even criminal charges. They (meaning us the US citizens) want everyone to pay their share of taxes. So if a corporation (who are "people" now per the Supreme Court) uses bartering to avoid taxes we would object, right? We want them to pay taxes.

Do we need to spend $100,00 of IRS time/effort to pursue little people who trade eggs for string beans? No, of course not.
Are people who do this guilty of evading taxes? Only technically but applying maximum law to a minimum action would be ridiculous.

This thread is sounding like a tempest in a teapot, splitting hairs about angels dancing on pinheads. There are numerous "laws" that are never enforced every day because it would result in a police state. Let's go after the big tax cheats and let the little "jaywalkers" alone.
Does that mean, "Yes, the Soccer Moms are lawless criminals?"

That's what it sounds like, except for all of the backpedaling language.

Nobody wants to consult you about what counts and doesn't count, or what the IRS is and isn't interested in. The rule itself needs to be clear. And if the rule itself is ridiculous to start with because it leads to criminal behavior on the part of soccer moms picking up their children after school, then it needs to be fixed.

EDIT: An easy fix would be to declare a dollar amount of transactions below which barter does not have to be justified. That way you decriminalize soccer moms, yard sales, and so on, without allowing Walmart to shoehorn their transactions into a barter exception. On this thread people are describing someone who trades piano lessons for a dental checkup, and possibly avoids seeking public assistance, as a lawless criminal. Yet the people who are throwing stones break the exact same barter clause of the IRS tax code, but want to claim that the kind of barter that takes place in their middle-class neighborhoods doesn't "count" or "doesn't interest the IRS" or whatever their preferred justification is.

Last edited by unwillingphoenician; 01-04-2016 at 10:57 AM..

Old 01-04-2016, 10:25 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
I'll give you a good answer to this question, if you let me borrow your car.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:28 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I'll give you a good answer to this question, if you let me borrow your car.

Not unless you pay taxes to use it first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living