Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

I dont see 150 electrical charging stations in Manhattan, unless you include gas stations that have electrical charging and parking lots that offer electrical charging. But even that, I doubt there are 150.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 11:40 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I dont see 150 electrical charging stations in Manhattan, unless you include gas stations that have electrical charging and parking lots that offer electrical charging. But even that, I doubt there are 150.
From the article, "They plan on having 105 stations up and running by March 31."

Maybe the OP meant 105, because I didn't see 150 mentioned in that article.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:45 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
There must be a large number of all electric vehicles in NYC to have that many charging stations. What is the driver supposed to do while waiting for the car to charge? Do they have a lounge with a TV and magazines where people can just sit. Or do they sit in the car and listen to the radio. I can't believe any New Yorker would sit around for an hour or 4 hours while their car charges.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:43 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

WOW. Just Wow. This part . . . totally making up, right?

Wow. You are saying the Electrical Transmission is 50% efficient . . . you mean like Power Out / Power In = 50%??????
That was his figure. Coal fire plants are only about 35% efficient at turning the chemical energy into electricity. The Efficiency of Power Plants of Differnt Types

http://blog.schneider-electric.com/e...r-line-losses/

I ran the numbers about 10 yrs ago when The NE US was getting half its juice from coal-- don't know if that's changed at all since then.

My point is that electric cars are not nearly as "good for the environment" as they're cracked up to be by the naive press. The Tesla, a high performance car, is a particularly good example of how the people who would buy it are not particularly well informed but just want to show off. The way to preserve the environment is, by definition, to conserve. Going 0-60 in 4.5sec and traveling at 100mph is not conserving.

One must keep in mind that, while the ICE is only ~10% efficient at turning chemical energy into mechanical energy, gasoline is a remarkably powerful fuel (more punch than an equal amount of TNT), very inexpensive and very portable. A 50cc scooter will get you where you want to go @30mph getting 100mpg. Compare the energy expenditure & poor convenience of the Tesla to that. And what happens to all those spent batteries? Environmental concerns?

All engineering solutions represent compromises between conflicting factors. For most of us, an electric vehicle provides limited benefit, introduces other problems and is very inconvenient.

edited to add: As I recall, my original "Fermi Calculation" involved determining how much co2 was produced to run a conventional gasoline powered car a given distance vs an electric car. Tesla was not available then. I don't recall which electric I used for the calc. A I remember, the electric was a loser if all power came from coal, and you had to get less than half from coal for it to have the advantage in co2 production.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 03-28-2016 at 07:57 AM..

Old 03-28-2016, 01:24 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
How many New Yorkers or Manhattanites own Teslas?

Old 03-28-2016, 02:23 PM

772 posts, read 914,057 times
How is the electricity made that comes out of the charging stations ?

Old 03-28-2016, 07:25 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
How is the electricity made that comes out of the charging stations ?
Solar panels on the roof of the charging station.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:48 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
From the article, "They plan on having 105 stations up and running by March 31."

Maybe the OP meant 105, because I didn't see 150 mentioned in that article.
No, I wrote 150 intentionally . . . dunno, but I think they changed the story?

At any rate, the Gross Number (Elec v. Gas Stations) keeps the Headline the same.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:10 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
There must be a large number of all electric vehicles in NYC to have that many charging stations. What is the driver supposed to do while waiting for the car to charge? Do they have a lounge with a TV and magazines where people can just sit. Or do they sit in the car and listen to the radio. I can't believe any New Yorker would sit around for an hour or 4 hours while their car charges.
Walk a block or two and shop or eat, have coffee. Get a cab somewhere and go back in a few hours. It's Manhattan.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:11 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
That was his figure. Coal fire plants are only about 35% efficient at turning the chemical energy into electricity. The Efficiency of Power Plants of Differnt Types

How big are Power line losses? - Schneider Electric Blog

I ran the numbers about 10 yrs ago when The NE US was getting half its juice from coal-- don't know if that's changed at all since then.
General Trend Line on Coal is Down. WAY DOWN.

Nobody cares about Olde Coal. Coal is bad enough in the daytime, but the real losses are Overnight, when no one even wants the Power.

Most NEW Generation being built is Renewable (Solar PV and Wind), and Natural Gas is eating Coal's Lunch.

Quote:
My point is that electric cars are not nearly as "good for the environment" as they're cracked up to be by the naive press.
Actually turns out they are MUCH better.

It is you who are out of date.

Good News is YOU . . . . CAN Fix that.

Quote:
The Tesla, a high performance car, is a particularly good example of how the people who would buy it are not particularly well informed but just want to show off. The way to preserve the environment is, by definition, to conserve. Going 0-60 in 4.5sec and traveling at 100mph is not conserving.
Outta date on that part, too.

There is SOOO much Surplus Electricity Generation at this point -- instead of Conserving, the Edison Institute (Big Electricity Generation Advocacy and Think-Tank) is hoping that Electric Cars may save the Generation Industry from its own Surplus.

Quote:
One must keep in mind that, while the ICE is only ~10% efficient at turning chemical energy into mechanical energy, gasoline is a remarkably powerful fuel (more punch than an equal amount of TNT), very inexpensive and very portable. A 50cc scooter will get you where you want to go @30mph getting 100mpg. Compare the energy expenditure & poor convenience of the Tesla to that. And what happens to all those spent batteries? Environmental concerns?
[yawn on the Miracles of Oil and ICEs]

Batteries are just a Stop-Gap.

Even Tesla is lagging behind where things are heading.

Batteries are NOT the likely future.

Did you hit the link?

Design News - Automotive News - Wireless Power Pitched as Replacement for EV Batteries

Quote:
All engineering solutions represent compromises between conflicting factors. For most of us, an electric vehicle provides limited benefit, introduces other problems and is very inconvenient.
. . . . He said having NEVER sat in one, let alone driving one . . . Am I right? Huh? Am I Right?

Quote:
edited to add: As I recall, my original "Fermi Calculation" involved determining how much co2 was produced to run a conventional gasoline powered car a given distance vs an electric car. Tesla was not available then. I don't recall which electric I used for the calc. A I remember, the electric was a loser if all power came from coal, and you had to get less than half from coal for it to have the advantage in co2 production.
Less than half of US Generation is now Coal, and as noted -- dropping fast.

It will take a few years to get them all off-line.

If they shut Coal down too fast it will all end with Bankruptcy and no one to clean up the Huge Coal Mess (other than All of US and EPA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living