Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 05:38 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times

Advertisements

I live in a rural area of northern Maine. There are no power lines that would be economic to run to my acreage, so we are off-grid. We are not connected to: electrical power/landline phone, city water, or city sewer. We heat with wood. We have a well, a spring, and a septic system.

I choose to use propane for back-up heat. When you heat with wood, you can't leave home for any length of time in winter, unless you don't care if the place freezes. Our propane wall heater takes care of that, keeping the place at about 50F. We also use it in fall and spring, when it really isn't cold enough to fire up the wood stove.

There are solar panels, deep cycle batteries, and all the electronics to run them. We also have 3 generators, 2 of which have been converted to run off propane. The third one is gas-powered. We have lights, ceiling fans, running hot/cold water, flush toilet, refrigeration, a freezer, small appliances, and we use one of the generators to power the laundry machines and the A/C, which we use very rarely. I only mention it because we did have to turn it on a few days this summer.

Our household has all the conveniences of any other American household. We pay no monthly utility bills. We store the propane in 2 large buried tanks, and usually fill them in spring or summer, when the rates are lowest. That's our choice; we get no unexpected bills.

Cell phones and internet are much like anybody else's. We don't bother with TV, but we could if we wanted to. Yes, we have to pay property taxes, but they are very low (under $1,000/yr for 33 acres with 3 buildings). You are kidding yourself if you think you won't have property taxes. That has nothing to do with being off-grid. Best to do your research first, and choose a place where taxes are low.

Oh - and you won't be "close to town". It takes me a half hour to get to the nearest town of any size. And that's actually a pretty short drive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 05:46 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I live in a rural area of northern Maine. There are no power lines that would be economic to run to my acreage, so we are off-grid.
Come on now, I bet you could do it for $100k.

Then you could enjoy the thrills of having the grid go down every couple weeks, like here in Southern Maine

Quote:
... Cell phones and internet are much like anybody else's. We don't bother with TV, but we could if we wanted to. Yes, we have to pay property taxes, but they are very low (under $1,000/yr for 33 acres with 3 buildings). You are kidding yourself if you think you won't have property taxes. That has nothing to do with being off-grid. Best to do your research first, and choose a place where taxes are low.

Oh - and you won't be "close to town". It takes me a half hour to get to the nearest town of any size. And that's actually a pretty short drive!
Ditto

Old 08-08-2016, 06:19 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Then you could enjoy the thrills of having the grid go down every couple weeks, like here in Southern Maine
Sub, I wouldn't call your AO "southern Maine" !

That's for folks considerably downstate of you!

Old 08-08-2016, 06:25 PM

652 posts, read 681,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Zoning restrictions and new "sanitation laws" make it pretty difficult to live 100 percent off grid, independent of all utility companies and monthly bills. Has anyone tried off-grid living and succeeded? If so, how did you do it? The main obstacle I'm seeing is zoning restrictions, requirements to install a septic tank, etc.

Hmm...I posted here, but maybe this would be better in the real estate section?
I wanna live off-grid as well. However, I don't know where to begin and I don't know if its possible in WA State.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Sub, I wouldn't call your AO "southern Maine" !

That's for folks considerably downstate of you!
I am South of you, and I am South of the center-line. You are in the Northern half of Maine, I am in the Southern half of Maine.

You could drive for hours North [toward Bit Twenty] and still be in Maine. I could drive for hours South [toward Kittery] and still be in Maine.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:59 PM

95 posts, read 189,261 times
In most larger inter cities, and counties where the utility company owns the government, and writes the laws, you are forbidden to erect certain devices. IF you try and unplug, and not pay the CEO of your utility company up to one hundred dollars a minute, you WILL be fined, jailed, have your property seized, or worse.
Don't believe me? Try it!

Old 08-08-2016, 08:02 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runzwithsizorz View Post
In most larger inter cities, and counties where the utility company owns the government, and writes the laws, you are forbidden to erect certain devices. IF you try and unplug, and not pay the CEO of your utility company up to one hundred dollars a minute, you WILL be fined, jailed, have your property seized, or worse.
Don't believe me? Try it!
The power company CHARGES $5 per kilowatt hour for the initial setup of solar power here...they also buy back extra electricity your system produces for PENNIES! That should be illegal. If I want to set up solar power here, I would do best to do so off-grid and not let anyone know.

http://solar.gaspgroup.org/an-analys...ar-whats-fair/

Last edited by krmb; 08-08-2016 at 08:18 PM..

Old 08-08-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
The power company CHARGES $5 per kilowatt hour for the initial setup of solar power here
That seems odd.

The power company here has no idea of whether I own solar panels or not. It is none of their business.

I did not pay the power company anything, for my right to install solar power for my home.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:10 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Ideally, I would like to bury a shelter underground and access it from the roof (or maybe a side door if that's not practical or feasible). If I used the right materials, (maybe fiberglass?) it would be water-tight and insulated from harsh temperature changes (not to mention it would also be a safe haven for when violent storms come). I would have no need for a costly septic system that could back up; instead, I could just use a composting toilet and get water from a well if one is available.

Without all of the stupid restrictions, I could even have this thing built in a subdivision (because it would be underground and mostly hidden). I could even maybe build a little cottage on top to make it match the rest of the neighborhood.
Just have the fire marshal review the exiting plan to make sure you are not building a death trap.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:32 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Just have the fire marshal review the exiting plan to make sure you are not building a death trap.
I doubt that's the only thing I would have to do to avoid a fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living