Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 04:22 AM

125 posts, read 114,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am not sure who you are comparing yourself to, but my kids are about your age and very, very few of their friends own their own houses and the ones that do had a lot of financial help from their parents, or inherited money when their grandparents died or something similar. I really doubt if either of my children will be able to buy a house before they are at least 35, as I can not help them with a down payment and they are not in fields that pay a lot of money. In fact, if my daughter stays single, and stays in public service jobs she may never be able to afford a house until she is 45 or 50.

And, not even one of my kid's friends, nor anyone else that I know that age "owns a little land". Nope, not even one person.

I can see why you are frustrated but you have to be realistic. Just because a few 30 year olds are making big bucks or have wealthy families giving them money to buy houses you can not assume that it is typical for everyone that age.
You must live in some super expensive place..
There are many places in the u.s where a home will cost less than 130k, and you can buy 20 acres for under 40 grand
I don't see how anyone making at least 30k a year can not afford that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 06:35 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudditeMan View Post
There are many places in the u.s where a home will cost less than 130k, and you can buy 20 acres for under 40 grand
OP makes $20,000 a year and has over $100,000 in student debt, currently in deferment.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:20 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I've been thinking about doing that again, but I just don't like a lot of the rvs in my price range. Plus, there's very little protection from bad storms in them. I don't know. I'm really frustrated. I feel like I should own a little land and have a house or something by now. I'm going to turn 30 soon, and I'm still renting and making peanuts.
Most of us do not "get it all".

RVs are expensive to maintain fuel hogs. I had one.

To buy land and a house takes money.

When I was 30, we were in our second house. But we used 'homes' to make money for us. We only bought Tri-plexes, Four-plexes, Five-plexes, so we always had rental income to provide monthly mortgage payments.

My salary income has never been very much.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
... it's not about some liberal prius driving dream, it is about self sustainability, and survival.
As an off-grid farmer I have a Prius. We like having a Prius. We keep the backseat folded down and use it as a station wagon. I have hauled chickens and piglets in it. We commonly load it up with food-waste from the school cafeterias and a grocery store, for our pigs.

A Prius makes a great farm vehicle, it gets 55 to 60 mpg, it hugs the road really well. Getting onto the interstate it can do 0 to 60 in 10 seconds. I set the cruise-control at 80 and it rides very smooth.

Between our Prius and my big dump truck [for hauling manure], our farm vehicle needs are met.

My wife wants us to shift to a plug-in next so we can charge it from our solar panels.

You do not need to be dissing on the Prius.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:30 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
[quote=germaine2626;45520781]I am not sure who you are comparing yourself to, but my kids are about your age and very, very few of their friends own their own houses and the ones that do had a lot of financial help from their parents, or inherited money when their grandparents died or something similar. I really doubt if either of my children will be able to buy a house before they are at least 35, as I can not help them with a down payment and they are not in fields that pay a lot of money. In fact, if my daughter stays single, and stays in public service jobs she may never be able to afford a house until she is 45 or 50.

And, not even one of my kid's friends, nor anyone else that I know that age "owns a little land". Nope, not even one person.

I can see why you are frustrated but you have to be realistic. Just because a few 30 year olds are making big bucks or have wealthy families giving them money to buy houses you can not assume that it is typical for everyone that age.[/QUOTE

I wrote this to help the OP feel better. Reminding her that 30 is not very old in the overall scheme of things.

Quote:
I don't want to side-track this thread but my post is correct as stated. My children.as well as almost all of their friends are forgoing house buying until all of their student loans are paid off and they have saved up down payments. And, if you are making $30,000 a year, or even more, that can take a very, very long time. My children, as well as most of their friends do not have parents or "fairy god-mothers" who paid for their entire college education or are giving them the down payment to their house. Even if the house only costs $130,000 imagine how long it would take to save up a $26,000 down payment when you are paying your rent & other bills and repaying student loans.

And, to give some perspective on land sales, in my extended area 20 acres of land, suitable to build a house, often sells for $100,000 to $200,000 and sometimes much, much more. So, it really is not surprising that I do not even know one 30 year old who "owns a piece of land". If your job is in a certain area you can't always move to a different part of the country to live because it is cheaper. Then you would just be unemployed and living in a cheaper area.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Just yesterday a lady came over to pick blueberries, when she was done we got to talking and she was griping about how expenses houses are. I went online to Zillow and I was showing her that doing a county-wide search, houses around here start at $28k.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:46 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OP makes $20,000 a year and has over $100,000 in student debt, currently in deferment.

investing $100,000 in education to get a $20,000 job ?

Sounds like some one sure doesn't know how to handle borrowed money wisely !

Old 09-18-2016, 08:54 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
investing $100,000 in education to get a $20,000 job ?

Sounds like some one sure doesn't know how to handle borrowed money wisely !
If I recall correctly, she used a lot of it for living expenses while in school rather than working. The biggest problem however is she got a degree in a field she cannot do well in due to social communication disorder and was not able to get good references from student teaching nor subbing, nor will she from her current job should she try for something better paying.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I don't want to side-track this thread but my post is correct as stated. My children.as well as almost all of their friends are forgoing house buying until all of their student loans are paid off and they have saved up down payments. And, if you are making $30,000 a year, or even more, that can take a very, very long time. My children, as well as most of their friends do not have parents or "fairy god-mothers" who paid for their entire college education or are giving them the down payment to their house. Even if the house only costs $130,000 imagine how long it would take to save up a $26,000 down payment when you are paying your rent & other bills and repaying student loans.

And, to give some perspective on land sales, in my extended area 20 acres of land, suitable to build a house, often sells for $100,000 to $200,000 and sometimes much, much more. So, it really is not surprising that I do not even know one 30 year old who "owns a piece of land". If your job is in a certain area you can't always move to a different part of the country to live because it is cheaper. Then you would just be unemployed and living in a cheaper area.
I'm a college student and I don't have my parents paying anything; I have less than 3k in debt right now and am on track to graduate with less than 5 figure debt and ideally none.. (2nd year)

Anyways the point was you live in an expensive area pretty much, and you only confirmed that. My current area isn't that cheap but there are still cheap places, but I aim to move somewhere even cheaper.. The way I have things planned I should be able to comfortably live on 10k so even if I make say 30k a year it wouldn't be an issue for me.

Now back on point; How do I plab to live on 10k?
This is what it all comes down to.. After an initial investment in land I would build a small cabin(should cost less than 20k, land and cabin that is) I can live without running water and electricity until I can afford to put in solar, and I would heat with wood..
I would charge my phone/laptop via vehicle or maybe get a small solar generator to keep them topped up

I would wash my clothes in a bucket with a wash board, and I would try and not buy food and just eat by hunting and growing

FYI I know what it would be like; Washing clothes in a bucket is laborious but cheap
And living without a.c isn't that bad

I could probably live on less than 10k at that price point!!

then again that hat is me, and I am ridiculously frugal and romanticize the 19th century a lot.. lol

Old 09-18-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
As an off-grid farmer I have a Prius. We like having a Prius. We keep the backseat folded down and use it as a station wagon. I have hauled chickens and piglets in it. We commonly load it up with food-waste from the school cafeterias and a grocery store, for our pigs.

A Prius makes a great farm vehicle, it gets 55 to 60 mpg, it hugs the road really well. Getting onto the interstate it can do 0 to 60 in 10 seconds. I set the cruise-control at 80 and it rides very smooth.

Between our Prius and my big dump truck [for hauling manure], our farm vehicle needs are met.

My wife wants us to shift to a plug-in next so we can charge it from our solar panels.

You do not need to be dissing on the Prius.
You do you man; I wouldn't be caught dead in one em things!!! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living