Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 04:06 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
There are really no deodorants that work at all. Only "antiperspirants" And, there is no substitute for the aluminum based compounds in antiperspirants. Alcohol may retard bacteria growth slightly. Everything else is hype. One would be better off using alcohol hand sanitizer if the aluminum products are not acceptable.
I disagree. Antiperspirants only work on "wetness" and not odor.

For me, I use a prescription antiperspirant because I used to sweat too much. Wet spots on shirts and that sort of thing. I use the antiperspirant once a week or less, nowadys and my armpits do not sweat at all. Other places do sweat more, like my hands and face, but I can live with that.

I use several products to make my pits un-stinky. The natural ones don't work so great, but I like Weleda citrus spray the best. Not sure if it is organic.

I am a little bit of a "natural" person and I use organic shampoo etc, but I gave up on organic deodorant and use perfume under my arms. Thierry Mugler's Angel and Viktor and Rolf FlowerBomb. Those work and my armpits smell wonderful all day. I think it is because there's a "fixative" that makes the scent last.

Perhaps an organic "perfume" would work...unfortunatley I think all fixatives are animal-derived, so one that lasts all day may be difficult to find. If you want to deodorize naturally, you may need to wash the armpits with soapy water 1/2 through the day, and then re-apply the natural product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 06:01 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
I saw this thread and thought of George Carlin's routine. "Out of deodorant? No problem, just put a bay leaf under each armpit. You'll still sweat but you'll smell like soup!"

Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I disagree. Antiperspirants only work on "wetness" and not odor.

For me, I use a prescription antiperspirant because I used to sweat too much. Wet spots on shirts and that sort of thing. I use the antiperspirant once a week or less, nowadys and my armpits do not sweat at all. Other places do sweat more, like my hands and face, but I can live with that.

I use several products to make my pits un-stinky. The natural ones don't work so great, but I like Weleda citrus spray the best. Not sure if it is organic.

I am a little bit of a "natural" person and I use organic shampoo etc, but I gave up on organic deodorant and use perfume under my arms. Thierry Mugler's Angel and Viktor and Rolf FlowerBomb. Those work and my armpits smell wonderful all day. I think it is because there's a "fixative" that makes the scent last.

Perhaps an organic "perfume" would work...unfortunatley I think all fixatives are animal-derived, so one that lasts all day may be difficult to find. If you want to deodorize naturally, you may need to wash the armpits with soapy water 1/2 through the day, and then re-apply the natural product.
We might be saying the same thing.

Antiperspirants work. They reduce wetness. Wetness permits bacteria to grow. Bacteria smells. Perfume does not kill bacteria. Alcohol does. If there is alcohol in your "deodorant" its the alcohol that is working. If there is no alcohol, its the lack of wetness that is working.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:01 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I just stick a Glade Plug-In under each arm. The only problem is the extension cord...

Organic deodorants? Really??? Isn't that going a bit extreme? Sorta like those who want to put their naturally carnivorous pets on a vegan diet?

Old Spice (the brand, not what's in the kitchen cabinet) works well for me!

OT here, but we had some friends who put their "naturally carnivorous dogs' on some sort of vegan diet. One dog simply died, they came home and found him just dead in the basement, the other dog's spine snapped, they had to have him put to sleep. don't interfere with nature, what do you think those teeth are for, to chew tofu?

Back to topic, what did they do in the "olden days" before deodorant was invented? Well, guess the poor just stunk, but I do think the other 1% used something, maybe look that up?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:49 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,445 times
1/3 C unrefined coconut oil mixed with 1/3 C baking soda and 1/3 C arrowroot or corn starch. If you want a scent you can add a drop of essential oil to the mix. Store in a jar with a lid. It works much better then any of the OTC "natural" deodorants I've tried.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Back to topic, what did they do in the "olden days" before deodorant was invented? Well, guess the poor just stunk, but I do think the other 1% used something, maybe look that up?
Well, the French invented perfume for that very purpose, so the nobility wouldn't smell like the peasants who at least had bay leaves to stick in their armpits! Were they organic bay leaves? Who knows?

Old 07-23-2017, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 637 times
Try Bioticco stick deodorant or cream one. It works well - no need to reapply and it is all natural.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:12 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times
An interesting study somewhat pertinent here:

10 or 15 y/a a study was was done-- the sweat from 10 men was collected on pads and each placed in a vial and numbered. The vials were then presented to each of 10 women who evaluated each in terms "good," neutral" or "bad" smelling.

All 20 subjects had blood drawn and were HLA genotyped.

It turns out that the women evaluated the man's sample as "bad" when their genotypes were closely matched, and good or neutral when distantly related.

Nature's way of keeping the gene pool agitated?

Old 08-24-2017, 02:32 PM

385 posts, read 440,437 times
We use Bubble and Bee's deodorants. They work the best of all of the ones we have tried. I buy the creams because I think they work the best but we have tried the spray and the sticks.

The hubby uses some witch hazel before applying the deodorant. I put on arrowroot powder after applying the cream. We can both go most, if not all, of the day without odor issues.

The organic DOs matter to me just because I would prefer not to put chemicals on my skin and particularly on my lymph node area. So with that understanding, I am ok if it is particularly hot day and I need to reapply 2/3s of the way through. I doubt there is an organic DO that will go a whole hot Texas day if I have to be out in the heat (it does ok if I am in the AC for the whole entire day). So it just depends on what you are willing to put up with. Kind of like the rest of green living. :-)

I buy their sensitive formula for me and the regular for the hubby. I used the regular for about 5 years and then suddenly it made me irritated so I switched. I do use his DO on occasion and haven't had an issue, but I kept buying the sensitive anyway. HTH

Old 08-27-2017, 10:26 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
1/3 C unrefined coconut oil mixed with 1/3 C baking soda and 1/3 C arrowroot or corn starch. If you want a scent you can add a drop of essential oil to the mix. Store in a jar with a lid. It works much better then any of the OTC "natural" deodorants I've tried.
Interesting, we're just talking about Coconut Oil and the toothpaste I make up. I don't buy deodorants but now and then add a little baking soda under my arms -- I really don't sweat. Now I'll add a dab of CO under arms. thanks...CO has SO MANY uses as does Baking Soda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living