Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:17 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,814 times

Advertisements

GreenScapes | Wastes | US EPA

Link to the Environmental Protection Agency greenscapes page.

EPA's GreenScapes program provides cost-efficient and environmentally friendly solutions for landscaping. Designed to help preserve natural resources and prevent waste and pollution, GreenScapes encourages companies, government agencies, other entities, and homeowners to make more holistic decisions regarding waste generation and disposal and the associated impacts on land, water, air, and energy use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 05:31 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,360,540 times
Thanks for the links.

We're currently reducing the amount of lawn areas in my garden by making the planting beds bigger. We're also planting trees, shrubs and flowers that are native to this area and grow well in the soil without the need for much watering etc.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:06 AM

Great ideas, tet tea! We are doing some of the same. I'm also putting in a stone patio. I'm using flat field stone, and it's coming along nicely. Does anyone do any rain-water harvesting? That's something I'm looking into now, as well.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:06 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
Great ideas, tet tea! We are doing some of the same. I'm also putting in a stone patio. I'm using flat field stone, and it's coming along nicely. Does anyone do any rain-water harvesting? That's something I'm looking into now, as well.
My friend and I have been discussing installing an underground water tank and tie in our drain pipes on each of our houses. We both have excellent southern exposure with plenty of sun and would like to tie in solar power run the pumps. I'm investigating available products to see what's available. I'd welcome any suggestions if anyone has had any experience with pumps run off of solar energy in terms of how much solar power is needed and if it is worth the investment.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:07 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,360,540 times
poc, harvesting the rain water is great and really cuts your water bill! We wanted to install an underground collection tank but it would have been a problem with the city. They are very popular in Europe. I would say 7 out of 10 gardens in Germany have some form of water collection system either below ground or above. We have rain barrels. Easy to make and install. We cheated and bought them though! Eventually I'll have each downspout connected to one.

Have a look at the below link. I love this site and get some great ideas from it too in the Learning section.

Gardeners Supply Company - Garden Supplies, Tools, and Gardening Tips

Old 05-13-2008, 06:21 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
I used to have a push lawn mower... I need to buy another one.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 PM

I got one of mine at the flea market for 25 bucks, and another someone was throwing away - in perfect condition, no less! You were referring to the no-gas but my a$% kind of push lawn mower, right, MIU?

Old 05-26-2008, 01:03 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times
I would love to have my yard mostly native plants and herbs. My husband likes lawns. He put in a big one for the dogs out back, and that is okay, but I can see the front yard in all herbs. Maybe someday he will give in. So far he did rototill a lot of area in front, and I have been busy planting herbs. I have also planted trees even though we have a small forest out back. Mostly wanted fruit and nut trees, but I also planted a dogwood, redbud and maple.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:31 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,914 times
Grass isn't a problem. The chemicals people have been brainwashed into using are the problem. You can have a perfectly nice lawn that is all organic and doesn't poison anything. See SafeLawns.org - Organic Solutions for a Healthier Planet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living