Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 08:49 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times

Advertisements

[quote=MissingAll4Seasons;7596994]Interesting that you should mention this. For the longest time I thought I was allergic to milk, or at least very lactose intolerant. Then one day I tried raw organic goat's milk and didn't have any problems. I thought, ok, maybe it's the goat vs. cow thing since goats milk is known to cause less allergic reaction. So I tested some raw cow's milk from the same dairy... and had NO problems either. Normally drinking a glass of cow's milk off the shelf would have me totally phlegmed up within seconds and having serious GI distress within a few hours if I didn't throw it up first. I don't know what they've added or removed in the regular store bought stuff, but my body definitely doesn't like it.[/quote}

Glad to hear you discovered someting that so many ppl are clueless about. Pastuerazation not only kills bad bacteria it also kills all the good stuff in milk too and turns it into a product that is not digestable to the human body. Everyone blames it on milk but it really has to do with how its processed. Big dairy can hide behind salmonella as its excuse for killing the milk but it really comes down to the almighty dollar and extending the shelf life of "milk".

Last edited by CleanCutHippie; 02-23-2009 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,342 times
While I have unlimited access to free unpasturized milk literally by the truck load, there is NO WAY I would drink unpasturized milk, or let someone come onto the farm and load up a milk bottle of our milk. Its not hiding behind anything. I once knew a 9 year old girl who had her face blow up from a bacteria outbreak from drinking unpasturized milk from a goat farm from some hippie living out in the woods. The poor girl had this bunch on her face for almost a year. It sounds kind of odd, but I put 4000 gallons of milk into the tank every day and yet buy 2 gallons of milk from the grocery store every week. There is no way my family or I are drinking unpasturized milk.

But surprisingly I know all about good and bad bacteria and why unpasturized milk works for All4Seasons. In fact I even go so far as to give my sheep probiotics, which is the good bacteria residing in a ruminants stomach. I'm finding out that using probiotics within livestock is a pretty new concept for producers. My local livestock expert had never even heard of probiotics, while the state assistant veternerian had heard of it, but had limited knowledge of it.

The one major issue I have to deal with on this farm is Johne's Disease (pronounced yoo-nees).The state Johne's expert in Maine is very difficult to deal with (and probably the reason why its is so prevalent here) and so I had to forge ahead on my own to find a way to prevent it from occuring in my lambs. The limited research I have done on this has shown that probiotics just might be the answer.

I'm kind of odd for a farmer I guess. I try to walk the fine line between holding onto some old farming traditions, and yet also look to new science for answers to old problems. For example I would not call myself an organic farmer by any means, but the sheep I raise are very close to it.

(Note: It gets confusing because my farm contains only sheep, while I WORK on the family dairy farm, so my posts tend to wander between sheep and cows a lot. The sheep are raised quite different from the production dairy farm).

Old 02-24-2009, 12:33 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,342 times
I've mentioned probiotics in my last post and just touched on its many uses. As I said, I am finding out that I am using probiotics in a lot of ways that most farmers are not. I went so far as to write a Knol (Unit of knowledge) and posted it on Google's version of Wkipedia. Anyway if you are interested in probiootics withinlivestock and on the farm, you can read about how I use probiotics on my farm via this link:

Probiotics Within the Flock

Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
I've been taking probiotics for years and they help me eat some foods that normally don't do so well with me. Since I've always been able to eat live yogurt (which has probiotics in it) even when I couldn't drink milk. I'm not at all surprised that probiotics help other animals.

Drinking raw milk has it's risks, and they can be huge. I certainly wouldn't drink just any old person's raw milk. The dairy I go to is super-hygenic, all his animals are very healthy, and he cools his milk immediately to reduce bacterial colonization.

The other thing that might be causing me problems is the fortifications they put in store milk. I recently tried organinc milk that was pasteurized but not fortified. I didn't have nearly the same problems as before, but it didn't work quite as well as the raw stuff.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times
Most raw milk that is contaminated is unorganic and sanitary conditions have to really be perfect to produce it safetly. Pastuerazation has great benifits to milk producers, longer shelf life and you can slack on sanitary conditions. A dreak come true to a mass milk producer who cares nothing about consumers anyway.

It has its risks and its not something I would drink everyday but if I was to drink milk regularly it will only be raw rather then that garbage thats on the supermarket shelf.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:07 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
I prefer to get most of my food from small local farmers... that way I can see the condition of the operation, the health and treatment of the animals, and the way things are grown with my own eyes. The fewer steps between farm and fork (or glass) the better IMO... less time and opportunity for contamination that way.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:04 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,646 times
Default There's so many more reasons about what's wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
50 years ago nearly all beef cattle were grown by eat grass/ hay in an open field .

Today over 80% of beef cattle are grown by eating grain, esp. corn.

Grain fed beef has 9 TIMES more fat than grass fed beef.

---> Support you local organic farmers

Grain-fed versus Grass-Fed Animal Products (http://www.nwhealth.edu/healthyu/eatWell/grassfed.html - broken link)
Why Grass-Fed?

Most, if not all, non-organic corn is going to come from genetically modified corn. Many european nations will not allow gmo products to enter their countries with good reason, imho. Our cows consume it as do we. Try to see how many products you can find without corn in it--or at least a deritive of it, like corn syrup, corn starch. All will be from gmo source as well.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:00 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Where was that story I saw two days ago on the Discovery Channel... ah, yes, here it is...
GM Crop Genes Contaminate Mexican Corn: Discovery News Seems that the disputed discovery of GE cross-pollination corn in Mexican corn products turns out to be true, and they are NOT happy.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I spent a summer drinking unpasteurized raw milk from a neighbors bulk tank when we lived in northern NH. It was like putting half & half on the cereal. I miss it a lot.

We are reaping the crop of agribusiness grown from the seeds of supporting farmers. I still think smaller farms should be supported but I do not see why our money should help GE create things that benefit their profits without any consideration for what it might be doing to us and the environment.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
All I need to know is it is delicious! Especially veal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living