Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 11:44 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Yes but!!!!!! If you have a power outage you don't have to worry about your food going bad. Several years ago we had a major ice storm~~no power for 15 days and lost a whole freezer full of beef+. That is when I decided to get back to my roots of gardening and canning that I grew up doing.

OP you asked if you could freeze canned foods there would be no need to once they are processed correctly. But there are freezer jams and such you use freezer jars for.
Yes that is very true and the down fall to freezing for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 01:20 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times
Thank you all SO MUCH for your great suggestions! I appreciate your kindness to take the time to share your knowledge. I'm excited to get to canning! I just hope tomatoes are off the bad food list (salmonella) soon!

Wouldn't frozen tomatoes get freezer burn?

Old 06-10-2008, 01:23 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times
Pickling intrigues me. I love good firm garlic dill pickles. (Nothing beats a Claussen pickle!) I also like pickled green beans and pickled baby corn. Now my mouth is watering!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:42 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Thank you all SO MUCH for your great suggestions! I appreciate your kindness to take the time to share your knowledge. I'm excited to get to canning! I just hope tomatoes are off the bad food list (salmonella) soon!

Wouldn't frozen tomatoes get freezer burn?
Anything can get freezer burnt if left in there too long. Frozen tomatoes would only be able to be used in cooked dishes though. Like soups, casseroles and such. But you could thaw them to process them later if you got an abundance all at once and couldn't get them all canned up.

Once you get use to canning it will become second nature to you and much better food for your family!

Old 06-10-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Pickling intrigues me. I love good firm garlic dill pickles. (Nothing beats a Claussen pickle!) I also like pickled green beans and pickled baby corn. Now my mouth is watering!
I posted a copy kat recipe for Claussen pickles in the CD food thread if you want to try it.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,761 times
Do you have any ideas on cleaning green beans for canning. Getting the debris off of the beans is a pain.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:33 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
1. Is it difficult to learn? Not at all. Time-consuming, yes, but it's as easy as putting together a meal.

2. Does canning change the flavor of the fruits and veggies? No, unless they're pickled.

3. What else, other than water and salt, is added to canned items? With tomatoes you'll want to add a bit of lemon juice to boost the acidity; you use so little the flavor isn't affected.

4. Which fruits and veggies are BEST to can? Tomatoes (there is nothing like opening a jar of tomatoes in the dead of winter and inhaling deeply), peaches, pears, plums, apples in sauce or butter.

5. Which fruits and veggies should NOT be canned? I think you're only limited by your equipment and your imagination.

6. I imagine you can can soups, too. Is this difficult? Never tried ... I don't have a pressure canner.

7. How long does canned produce/soups last? Canned tomatoes I've used several years after canning.

8. Can you freeze canned produce and soups? Absolutely. But if you freeze in any sort of quantity, you might run out of room without a stand-alone freezer.

9. From start to finish, how long does one batch of produce (one canner full of jars) take to complete? Couple hours, tops.

10. Which websites can you recommend to make this process easier and provide good, step by step instructions for reliably good canned products that last a long time? Go to the grocery store. Buy the Ball Blue Book, and the starter kit (tongs, a plastic knife for getting the bubbles out, a funnel, etc.). That's pretty much all you'll need to start with.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:13 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,715 times
I thought it would be really to do my own canning...I bought Everything I needed...lot's of books...The only thing I really felt comfortable canning was pickles...no one else in my family likes pickles...I was kind of afraid to eat them, myself.... After storing 3,000 jars for several years, I threw them all away... Make sure it's something you really want to do...I'd go for freezing ... I have a generator, so it won't spoil!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
After storing 3,000 jars for several years, I threw them all away...
3,000 jars just for you!!!! We are a pickle eating family I have never put up that many jars of pickles. You could have donated them to a soup kitchen to use to feed others. Canning is like anything else once you get use to the process it becomes second nature. Saves money after you have your equipment and so much fresher tasting to boot.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrieb View Post
Do you have any ideas on cleaning green beans for canning. Getting the debris off of the beans is a pain.
When I snap (clean) my beans I run my hand down the bean to get off any leaf parts on it or chunks of dirt. Then I snap off the ends and break them into pieces. Bring them in to soak in cool water in the sink~not too long, drain and fill up again with cool water. This pretty much gives me clean beans but I do check them when I put them in the colander before doing the next steps in canning them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living