Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:48 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,773,186 times

Advertisements

Yes, I think green is a lovely color to paint your walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 12:53 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
When, and if, a vehicle is developed that will do what my SUV's will do - including towing 10,000 lbs, let me know
They're not here in the US yet, but they're coming. http://www.autoweb.com/content/share...cle_id_int/148

Old 07-31-2008, 03:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
They're not here in the US yet, but they're coming. Top Ten Most Fuel-Efficient SUVs

Those you linked to are already on the market - and, they are much too light - their hauling capacity is much to light for my needs. Also, they are not NEAR as comfortable as the big ones!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:54 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,229 times
I have a brand new SUV - it's a "large crossover" and I admit it has worse gas milage and a bigger engine than my older, smaller SUV (but not by much). We looked at the small, cute, fuel efficient vehicle but thought "if we get into an accident with a... bicycle... we're going to get hurt." It's not just me I have to think about but my kids. Last year we had an accident where some bozo pulled out in front of me and plowed into the side of my SUV - if we had been in a smaller - more fuel efficient - car he would have crushed the door into my child instead of under her carseat (because she was sitting higher than the vehicle that hit us). My SUV was in the shop for 6 weeks and he did about 10K in damage (and I was hit by a small car). He crushed my doors in (front and back passenger side) and bent the entire frame. If I can drive them in a fuel efficient armored truck then I would. It's not just what you drive it's how you drive - so I'll drive my fuel inefficient SUV because of speeding LITTLE cars AND SUVs.

With that, I drive less than 5K a year. So does it really matter that my SUV gets 16/24 mpg when I'm driving fewer miles than someone doing 35K in a Prius? I don't know. To each their own I guess.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:39 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
I hadn't really thought about it until your story, Mommabear.......

Earlier this year, my brother was t-boned badly. He was driving a Jeep Cherokee and the other driver was in a tiny car (I think it was a Geo Prism ). She went right through the red light, she just wasn't paying attention, and she slammed right into him.

If he had not been driving a Jeep, I don't know how badly he would have been hurt . His driver side door was bent in so badly, he had to crawl out the other side. The Jeep was declared totaled by the insurer and rightly so, the frame was bent and the Jeep could not be driven. I don't know the end result of hers, but I imagine hers was declared totaled as well (it looked pretty bad).

If you know Jeeps, you know how heavy and reinforced they are, it takes a lot of impact to do the kind of damage that was done.

So I don't know....those small car drivers can do a lot of damage .

Old 08-01-2008, 07:49 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
They're not here in the US yet, but they're coming. Top Ten Most Fuel-Efficient SUVs
I guess I should not feel too bad for driving my all so horrible 2003 explorer at 16/21 mpg. I am sure I would like the higher mpg suvs, but I only paid $10k for my explorer fully loaded, 4x4, v8.

In my opinion, for the price vs size and power difference, the new "efficient" suvs are not worth a damn.

The higlander hybrid at work only gets 26mpg highway, I do not think 5mpg is worth the price.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:51 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,588 times
Yes, the "new" more "fuel efficient" vehicles and SUVs usually aren't (unless they're hybrids). We're getting Hybrids now, and the hydrogen fuel cell ones are coming soon (already in use in Europe, etc.). We've just got to catch up to the countries who didn't shelve the alternative energy initiatives after last time.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:04 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
K350 wrote:
I guess I should not feel too bad for driving my all so horrible 2003 explorer at 16/21 mpg. I am sure I would like the higher mpg suvs, but I only paid $10k for my explorer fully loaded, 4x4, v8.

There are no shoulds, or should nots. Either you feel bad about something or you don't.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:16 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
What that tells me is a van is the most sensible vehicle. Better mileage, more room and safer than an SUV because it's less likely to tip over. A good combination of safety, and practicality.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
What that tells me is a van is the most sensible vehicle. Better mileage, more room and safer than an SUV because it's less likely to tip over. A good combination of safety, and practicality.
Some of the new vans and "cross overs" are very nice. The biggest drawback to someone like me is their towing capacity.

Because of our lifestyle - we need to tow a number of different types of trailers - including some upwards to 9,000 lbs - and the vans just cannot do that.

But - some of those vans sure are nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living