Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,307 times

Advertisements

Just sold our '96 Honda Civic which we've had since new, and as someone else mentioned with their toyota, don't think we really ever had to do anything to it other than regular maintenance .. oil changes, new brake pads, tune-ups. Super on gas .. seemed it only got filled once or twice a month and drove it daily.

When my SO was buying a truck a few years ago, the salesman told us that our old civic was a much better made car than the new ones .. doors were heavier .. sound when closing, etc.

We looked at getting a new one, but it just wasn't the same .. when you opened or shut the doors, they seemed really light and cheap .. like they might fall off soon or something.

Gee, that doesn't sound too great about the hybrids so far .. especially that pricey repair bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 09:06 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,216,356 times
Default newer corvettes

high horespower vettes are getting 32 highway according to many owners on some of the vette forums

Lose the weight, reduce the complexity and options, engineer to reduce repair and maintenance costs.....would be a start

Old 07-15-2009, 11:15 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,771 times
In reply to the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liammarcus View Post
Whatever anyone does, don't get a hybrid car. They are costly to repair. In the end if you have an accident or the hybrid computer doesn't work anymore, prepare to shell-out $4000+ to repair. The Toyota Hybrid Warrantee is VERY questionable - (actually) worthless! Get a high gas (or as high) efficient all conbustion engine car instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm a little surprised that everyone is making so much noise over the Prius. I'm sure it's a fine car, but good luck when the battery pack needs to be replaced!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Gee, that doesn't sound too great about the hybrids so far .. especially that pricey repair bill.
First, repair costs. Yes, repair costs for a Prius are generally more than for non-hybrids. According to a recent study by Audatex Directions, Prius repairs are 8.4% higher than comparable gasoline-powered economy imports. Just my opinion, but I see that as a minor difference in average repair costs, and while it might enter into my calculations in weighing new car choices, I don't see it being the deciding factor.

And repairs to hybrid vehicles that have a gasoline-powered version (for example, the Honda Civic and Honda Civic Hybrid) average 3.8% more to repair than their gas-powered cousins. In addition, the study states: A review of repair costs over time suggests that greater differences exist in early model years, while the repair costs for newer model years are nearly identical.

Next, the hybrid battery. The basic warranty for Prius hybrid batteries covers the first 8 years/100,000 miles. If you're in California (and some other states as well, I believe), the numbers go up to 10 years/150,000 miles.

Also, last fall the cost of replacement hybrid batteries fell to $2299 for a first generation Prius, and $2588 for a second generation Prius. Now, that's not an insignificant cost by any means. But generally speaking, hybrid batteries last much longer than their warranties. In Prius Battery Change is No Big Deal, it states: It is a fact that some of our first-generation Priuses are still going strong with more than 200,000 miles on their original batteries. A couple of cars doing taxi service in Victoria, B.C., reportedly have seen 300,000 miles and in one case, 400,000 miles on the original batteries with what’s described as "very few maintenance issues."

Personally, I tend not to keep vehicles beyond 120K miles or so, but I just might make an exception for our Prius.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:23 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
The other thing to think about is what kind of gas the vehicle uses - during the most recent gas price hike, local stations were frequently out of diesel and premium (mid-grade as well, since stations make mid-grade by diluting premium), plus the price difference between grades was high.

When regular gas was around $4.00, diesel was nearly a buck more, meaning that a diesel would have to get 25% better gas mileage just to be equal on price.

Right now, as I understand it from my local dealer, diesel is dirt cheap because airline miles are down, and that gas is being converted over to diesel. Who knows what will happen with future prices (other than they will go up).

Old 07-15-2009, 04:55 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Was it a standard transmission? By the way, I concede that I rely on reported mileage figures in the city. I know for a fact that the vehicle had at least a 550 mile range, however.
Yeah, mine was a 4-speed manual. It also had a lot of miles on it (I believe it had over 400,000 when I got it, but it was only a 6-digit odometer).

I do think it's entirely possible that if I really minded my Ps & Qs, driven 50-55 mph and babied it, I might have hit 50 mpg on the road. But I kind of figured that the difference between 48 & 50 wasn't worth driving slower. Of course, that was back when diesel was about $1.50 per gallon.

I wouldn't want a diesel right now, because I put on very few miles - and they're all short trips. But it would be nice, if I had all kinds of money, to have a TDI sitting in the garage for that occasional long trip to see our kids in Minneapolis.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The other thing to think about is what kind of gas the vehicle uses - during the most recent gas price hike, local stations were frequently out of diesel and premium (mid-grade as well, since stations make mid-grade by diluting premium), plus the price difference between grades was high.

When regular gas was around $4.00, diesel was nearly a buck more, meaning that a diesel would have to get 25% better gas mileage just to be equal on price.

Right now, as I understand it from my local dealer, diesel is dirt cheap because airline miles are down, and that gas is being converted over to diesel. Who knows what will happen with future prices (other than they will go up).
Diesel isn't really dirt cheap right now - unless you're seeing something entirely different in your part of the country.

Around here it's anywhere from 5-10 cents per gallon less than 89 Octane gas.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:18 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,822,371 times
Quote:
Diesel isn't really dirt cheap right now - unless you're seeing something entirely different in your part of the country.

Around here it's anywhere from 5-10 cents per gallon less than 89 Octane gas.
I meant cheap in comparison - diesel is almost always more than premium gas here, and right now it's running about $0.10 less than premium. As of yesterday, regular gas here was $2.59, diesel was $2.79 and premium was $2.99.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I meant cheap in comparison - diesel is almost always more than premium gas here, and right now it's running about $0.10 less than premium. As of yesterday, regular gas here was $2.59, diesel was $2.79 and premium was $2.99.
That's kinda what I thought.

I could have filled up this morning for $2.07 (89 octane). I believe diesel is about 5 cents cheaper right now. But, as you know, it may very well be 15 cents more by this time next week. Who knows...

Old 07-15-2009, 05:55 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,564 times
Quote:
What year? And can you give us details on the drivetrain - as in, manual versus auto tranny? What engine?

Thanks.

Its a 2008, automatic, what engine...I'll have to look it up, but love that car. so easy to drive and yu're not driving into the poorhouse! The sales guy actually talked us out of a Prius, said they don't get that much better mileage for the extra in price, about another 8-10K, that's a lot of gas, even at $4 a gal!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Its a 2008, automatic, what engine...I'll have to look it up, but love that car. so easy to drive and yu're not driving into the poorhouse! The sales guy actually talked us out of a Prius, said they don't get that much better mileage for the extra in price, about another 8-10K, that's a lot of gas, even at $4 a gal!
Thanks! My brother-in-law has a 91 Corolla. Tons of miles, and it gets about 37 mpg going 75 down the Interstate with the AC cranked. As I understand it, the Corollas with manual trannies get even better mileage.

Amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living