Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 07:05 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times

Advertisements

I do want to do "the right thing" in the fight against global warming and vanishing rescources. But I see these people jetting around the world,driving huge vehicles in caravans, spending extravagantly on things that please themselves OR that will impress other people and make themselves seem special.
And then get on TV and Radio telling ME to cut back,do without and go that extra length to give up on my end. Sounds like, and looks like B.S. to me.
Now I do see a minute amount of the above people doing this, but not many at all. And then again if you really look into these people's lifestyles many of them are doing it just for the camera and feel good effect at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 06:20 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
Oh now, they care and are doing something - they are still using the energy but they are using or trading carbon credits so they aren't really contributing to any perceived pollution problems.
Snicker Snicker

American Thinker Blog: Giving Al Gore a run for his Carbon Credits
Quote:
Prince Charles was accused of hypocrisy last night for using a private jet on an 'environmental' tour of South America. The Prince of hypocrites: Charles embarks on 16,000 mile 'green' crusade... aboard a private jet | Mail Online
Gore buys carbon credits from himself? | Al Gore 2008 Draft Campaign (http://www.algore.org/node/403 - broken link)

This is pretty funny:
The website is now gone, but
Quote:
A website has surfaced that is “on a mission to take away every one of Al Gore's meaningless carbon credits by simply providing carbon debits.”

Their Deluxe Package includes:
  • Kill (Shred) 1 Living Tree (see pictures of this being done)
  • Send an email to Al Gore about your civic mindedness in buying Carbon Debits.
  • Send an email to you certifying you are doing your part to save the Earth from Carbon Credits.
  • 1 shirt of your choice (specify style and size in notes at check-out).
  • Pictures of the Tree with Your Plaque both Before and After it has been shredded
  • And we will send you the plaque with a commemorative piece of the tree attached. http://newsbusters.org/node/12794

Old 03-26-2009, 02:42 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,342 times
John Travolta is another. Gives lots of lip service to environmental issues,but has a love for planes and jets and has been cited for doing a low-fly over Maine in his 747 jet a few years ago. I'm pretty dumb, but I am sure flying that jet for 1 hour burns more fuel then my Ford Focus does in a year. As I said...lip service to the environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living