Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:53 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times

Advertisements

We'll see... Here's a link for you to check the real time load for MISO (Midwest system operator) after 2030. The real time forcast doesn't indicate any decrease...

http://www.midwestmarket.org/page/Real+Time+Info+(EOR)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 07:06 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
My kerosene lamps will be burning brightly until I go for a walk later...
I hope that's a joke.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:12 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Last time this happened, 9 months later there was a large spike in new babies.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:44 PM

It's 8:37 PM right now, and we're not doing one single thing different than during any other hour of any other day.

I don't need any of this Climate Change hype. I already have CFL bulbs everywhere in our house, and when we're not in a room we turn off the lights. We have super-insulated and sealed our house, have an ultra-high efficiency furnace and a heat pump. We heat our house for less than most houses half its size cost. We recycle, we sparingly drive very fuel efficient vehicles (including a motorcycle) and we keep our little corner of the world clean.

I am a steward of the environment, but I don't worship it.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:46 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
I will have every light in and outside the house on, as well as on both my vehicles, one of which is an SUV.

Man made global warming crap my a**
why am i not surprised?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:55 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,397,317 times
Talking I have a brain, so I know that 1 + 1 does not equal global warming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
why am i not surprised?

Because you know I am smart enough to know that massive global heating and cooling has happened in cycles for thousands of years prior to the existence of man, so therefore we were not the cause of it. You also know that I am smart enough to know that global temperature changes are not measured in decades or centuries, but in thousands of years, therefore we can't possibly measure the actual change in temperature of the last couple of decades. You obviously know that I am much too intelligent to fall for this phony baloney liberal hysteria that is generated simply to raise taxes to benefit those claiming this hoax.

THAT'S WHY YOU ARE NOT SURPRISED.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:10 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
We turned everything off and enjoyed the candlelight. Whether you believe in the cause or not, an evening by candlelight with the SO is always enjoyable.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:13 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I hope that's a joke.
It isn't. I don't use electric lights, don't like them. Won't have any either in a month or two (will be off grid). I use kerosene lamps, gas lamps, oil lamps, grease lamps, candles, but not electric lights (other than a flashlight to find matches, etc.).

Old 03-28-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It isn't. I don't use electric lights, don't like them. Won't have any either in a month or two (will be off grid). I use kerosene lamps, gas lamps, oil lamps, grease lamps, candles, but not electric lights (other than a flashlight to find matches, etc.).
You do realize, don't you, how many pollutants kerosene blows into the air?

That's all I was pointing out.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:17 PM

276 posts, read 1,136,145 times
yes we did switch off all our lights, in fact we switched off the Main switch and everything went dark.
we did this the last time too.
had a candlelight dinner with hubby and it was really nice. the house with no TV, radio or internet music was so silent. we were able to hear the backyard trees rustle.
it was a very relaxing and enjoyable 90 mins (yes we added 30 mins more)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living