Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Environmental disruption: global warming, temperature increases, melting glaciers, aluminum smelter

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:16 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,993,433 times

Advertisements

"Growth is the underpinning policy focus and strategic assumption of all governments, central banks, corporations and investment funds."
- Paul Gilding

I happened upon a discussion with Paul Gilding and another panelist that anyone concerned with this planet (or themselves for that matter) may find interesting:
The Great Disruption | WBUR and NPR - On Point with Tom Ashbrook (http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2009/03/creative-disruption/ - broken link)

Briefly, he feels we have reached the brink of an inevitable environmental and economic disruption. Something rather cataclysmic. In looking I also found an article where he discusses this further:
Paul Gilding » Great Disruption (http://paulgilding.com/writing/scream-crash-boom-2 - broken link)

Projections in the interview are for increases in mean temperature of 10 degrees fahrenheit or more. One might remember that even a change of 1 degree is significant, and in having passed that now we are witnessing some decidedly negative effects. In looking further one can discover that while no projection can be certain, some degree of change is. This page will help illustrate that:
Climate Change - Global Warming - Future Climates
Look at the charts and remember that as in so much else in life things start small but at a moment begin to escalate rapidly. We are there. This article from 'The Economist' mentions how our understanding is changing:
Climate change gets worse | A sinking feeling | The Economist

Glaciers around the world are melting at an increasing rate. Among other changes that portends is a drastic decrease in available water come summer. Populations such as India's, many of whom depend on the regular snow melt from the Himalayas will be severely impacted. At this rate Iceland will have no glaciers is less than 200 years:
3 News > Lifestyle > Story > Fresh global warming fears as glaciers melt at alarming rate

The recently ousted government of Iceland, the one's overseeing their banking scandal and collapse of the national economy, orchestrated the building of a massive Alcoa aluminum smelter in eastern Iceland. Although touted as green due the use of hydropower for the vast electrical needs of this industrial plant, the result are some serious environmental ramifications. To create the hydropower the construction of several dams (Kárahnjúkur dam) and flooding of a good deal of what was once Europe's largest remaining wilderness area was necessary. Alcoa chose this location because Iceland otherwise has so little heavy industry and they could thus use carbon offsets. But this charade still results in 600,000 tons annually of sulfur dioxide being discharged into the air. Whether from here or elsewhere, the cumulative result the same to this world. Not to mention to achieve this the former government of Iceland, and its people now, had to subsidize this project, otherwise it would actually lose money and Alcoa would not have built it.

This the state of the world. We are witnessing the results in real time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 01:11 PM

512 posts, read 1,566,019 times
My grandparents lived through The Great Disruption and they said it was really hard to make ends meet!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:15 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,698,735 times
"The sky is falling, The sky is falling!" Now, lessee, where have I heard this before? Oh, yes, every tarot card reader, Conspiracy Theorist blog, and "send money to help us spread the word!" faux news internet resource.

I'm not worried - according to the Russian professor, the US is going to split into six different countries, and my email said that I'm getting my $2.3 million dollar check for helping out that nice elderly Ethiopian princess. Any day now...

Very funny, Georgepl!!! LOL

Old 03-13-2009, 11:56 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,382,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
"The sky is falling, The sky is falling!" Now, lessee, where have I heard this before? Oh, yes, every tarot card reader, Conspiracy Theorist blog, and "send money to help us spread the word!" faux news internet resource.

I'm not worried - according to the Russian professor, the US is going to split into six different countries, and my email said that I'm getting my $2.3 million dollar check for helping out that nice elderly Ethiopian princess. Any day now...

Very funny, Georgepl!!! LOL
Right now I'm ready to split into 6 different countries. Do we get to pick the states that our state goes with?

All of my global warming comments, facts found, etc. can be found on the other post about global warming in Green Living. Don't want to be redundant.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:23 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,522,092 times
The sky is falling, but it has been for 2000 years, and its been foretold by the bible for just as long. What I get a laugh out of is all these chat rooms, books and magazine articles trying to dispense wisdom and ways for the masses to help survive "when all hades breaks loose".

For many years many have held their hopes pinned on the Dow, and of late, Obama...but it's a shame; the American Churches were empty and the political rallies were teeming with people. Oh if it had only been the other way around. To pin your hopes on mortal man is but silliness.

Perhaps I am reading SCGranny's post too deeply, but I suspect she is as ready as I am, and for the same reason. I am only 34 years old, but it seems the more I try to follow my own path, the more trouble I get into. When I follow HIS word, things go a lot more smoothly. AmI ready for "hades to break loose"? Yep, because I do not fear the Day of Judgement. I have not lived a perfect life, but I trust nd follow HIM. I pray others do likewise.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:42 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,698,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Right now I'm ready to split into 6 different countries. Do we get to pick the states that our state goes with?
LOL I showed the map that the professor drew out to some of my friends - it's done by area - with the political and social boundaries taken into account. When I showed it to some of my local friends, they said, "Good. Hope it happens - these are the people (in our area) who have the same beliefs and social structure we do." They are tired of people, who have no idea what happens in our part of the world, making assumptions about and laws for it.

Well, Broken Tap, I am not churchgoing but I do believe that there is a God Who pretty much is letting us do what we want to the planet, but Who will occasionally listen to our queries and guide us in our choices - if we let Him. The problem is, as my DH says, that most people whom you wouldn't trust to even carry your books to school are now bragging and preaching about having knowledge straight from God! I just can't believe that ANY self-respecting God would let His name and reputation be bandied about for personal human profit. I await another Temple scene on a much larger scale... a lot of the vendors who think that they are safe hiding behind God's walls might just have their tables overturned and their backs whipped away from their comfortable places.

Just get tired of waiting is all.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:47 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,382,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
........When I showed it to some of my local friends, they said, "Good. Hope it happens - these are the people (in our area) who have the same beliefs and social structure we do." They are tired of people, who have no idea what happens in our part of the world, making assumptions about and laws for it.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:10 AM

37 posts, read 107,069 times
If you haven't seen it yet -
Albert Bartlett's Most Important Video You will EVER SEE. But I think it was the scariest video I have ever seen.

Add that to:
Crude Impact 6 part video on youtube and
The Crash Course and you'll see a broken system that 1 man (Obama) can not fix. It's up to every person on this Earth to make some changes - the sooner the better.

And by the way, I theorize that global climate change will follow the same exponentiation patterns all these videos are trying to explain. Do I care if it is man-made or natural? nope.

Peace.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:55 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,067,843 times
LoL, if you actually predict the end of the world...what do you get? At that point you have no one to brag to, you don't get a prize, and it doesn't matter what you prepare because you'll be dead, or in the same boat, anyways. Prepare for what you can, and if it's something you can't then just enjoy the ride.

The other issue, is what if they are wrong? Say you take all your money out and buy gold, then when people realized the US is okay...everyone sells their gold and the price drops by 50%. All those investments you sold because the US was supposed to explode are now skyrocketing, and what you bought is now worth half what it was...plus taxes and fees.

I say just invest what you can in the most likely of solutions, and have that emergency stockpile just in case...the more likely a problem the less severe it is to be. Save money for when you are more likely to need it, like retirement, then enjoy the money you have. When you're dead the same thing will happen, your kids will fight over what they want and your grand kids will paw over whats left to see if there is anything to sell.

Last edited by subsound; 03-16-2009 at 02:10 PM..

Old 03-18-2009, 09:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
OP - A friend of mine and I discussed the ramifications of steady or declining population growth over forty years ago. We, IIRC, figured out a system that would actually work but it required a substantially different sort of economic system. When we did this discussion the population of the US was around 240 million. I was expecting it to drop to the 220 million ranges but instead government immigration and economic policy has resulted in a population of over 300 million with proportionately decreased economic and environmental viability. We now have a lot more money and a lot less wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living