Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:22 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times

Advertisements

I think a whole bunch of posters here should just do them selves in and really decrease their carbon foot print and their impact on the planet......(LOL Both of my kids are laughing their buts off!!!!!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 10:28 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
This movement seems to really have anti-human undertones. The number of babies is not the issue-the issue is consumption/waste per child which is quite high in America. Think about it this way-the only ones who won't have kids for this reason will be very environmentally conscious people while others will still have plenty of children. Meaning the next generation won't be raised to be eco-friendly.

Besides, if the number of humans on the planet was the central issue here (and it's not) it wouldn't remotely matter if a few Western environmentalists don't have kids. Birthrates in such areas are already super-low. The world's population increases are coming from South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:53 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
IMHO Unless humans try to control it with some birth rate or euthanasia type laws the population will continue to grow when it get too big. When that happens I believe the big control room is the sky will get an alarm; high/low temp, system overload, low\high water etc. and the duty Angle will wake up and light of some natural diasters....Hurricane, tsunami whatever. Then again If I really do the noddle dance I equate the act of war as one of those safety reliefs which means those proponents of population control to save the planet. (typically bunny humping greeny peaceniks) are hurting the big ball more then helping it.............Now my head hurt froms thinking too hard. Better watch the kids playing in the sprinklers while I burn some meat and knock bag a frosty..............

Old 07-26-2009, 06:10 AM

Location: Upstate NY for now. Hanover, New Hampshire come the fall.
99 posts, read 153,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
This movement seems to really have anti-human undertones.
Oh, you haven't seen anything yet.

Enviroment, Eugenics quotes « infowars

Quote:
“Isn’t the only hope for the planet that the industrialized civilizations collapse? Isn’t it our responsibility to bring that about?”
- Maurice Strong, founder of the UN Environment Programme

“A massive campaign must be launched to de-develop the United States. De-development means bringing our
economic system into line with the realities of ecology and the world resource situation.”
- Paul Ehrlich, Professor of Population Studies

“The only hope for the world is to make sure there is not another United States. We can’t let other countries have the same number of cars, the amount of industrialization, we have in the US. We have to stop these Third World countries right where they are.”
- Michael Oppenheimer, Environmental Defense Fund

“Global Sustainability requires the deliberate quest of poverty, reduced resource consumption and set levels of mortality control.”
- Professor Maurice King

“We must make this an insecure and inhospitable place for capitalists and their projects. We must reclaim the roads and plowed land, halt dam construction, tear down existing dams, free shackled rivers and return to wilderness millions of acres of presently settled land.”
- David Foreman, co-founder of Earth First!

“Complex technology of any sort is an assault on human dignity. It would be little short of disastrous for us to
discover a source of clean, cheap, abundant energy, because of what we might do with it.”
- Amory Lovins, Rocky Mountain Institute

“The prospect of cheap fusion energy is the worst thing that could happen to the planet.”
- Jeremy Rifkin, Greenhouse Crisis Foundation

“Giving society cheap, abundant energy would be the equivalent of giving an idiot child a machine gun.”
- Prof Paul Ehrlich, Stanford University

“Our insatiable drive to rummage deep beneath the surface of the earth is a willful expansion
of our dysfunctional civilization into Nature.”
- Al Gore, Earth in the Balance

“The big threat to the planet is people: there are too many, doing too well economically and burning too much oil.”
– Sir James Lovelock, BBC Interview

“My three main goals would be to reduce human population to about 100 million worldwide, destroy the industrial infrastructure and see wilderness, with it’s full complement of species, returning throughout the world.”
-Dave Foreman, co-founder of Earth First!
There's more where that came from.

Granted, I have to note that some of those quotes come from folks on the very extreme wings of the Green movement, there's no question about that. This being said, however, I still see a distinctly anti-human tone within much of the green movement, as well as a tone that seems to damn the poor for the sake of climate initiatives. Some of this is open and intentional(as the quotes above outline), while in other cases it is less a purposeful occurence and more a result of idealism.

Either way it kind of frightens me.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:09 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaw45 View Post
Oh, you haven't seen anything yet.
Enviroment, Eugenics quotes « infowars

There's more where that came from.

Granted, I have to note that some of those quotes come from folks on the very extreme wings of the Green movement, there's no question about that. This being said, however, I still see a distinctly anti-human tone within much of the green movement, as well as a tone that seems to damn the poor for the sake of climate initiatives. Some of this is open and intentional(as the quotes above outline), while in other cases it is less a purposeful occurence and more a result of idealism.

Either way it kind of frightens me.
I don't understand why all these Extreme Green Lunatics don't take their own advice, and start by committing mass suicide.

Yes, it would be nuts. But they're nuts. And at least they would be acting with integrity.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:56 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I don't understand why all these Extreme Green Lunatics don't take their own advice, and start by committing mass suicide.

Yes, it would be nuts. But they're nuts. And at least they would be acting with integrity.
I would also like to know how those people quoted here live. Do they live an austere life like they would have planned for you and me or a more elitiest lifestyle very much in keeping with their kind.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I would also like to know how those people quoted here live. Do they live an austere life like they would have planned for you and me or a more elitiest lifestyle very much in keeping with their kind.
I'd venture a guess that the vast majority of these pious green freaks do NOT live eco-friendly lives at all.

They're like Al Gore, who preaches "save the earth!" but uses 20x the electricity and 10x the natural gas in his home as the average American - and he flies all over the world in a private jet.

When all the dust is settled, they expect everybody ELSE to live environmentally-friendly lives.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:47 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimomo View Post
Genesis 33:5 Children are a gracious gift from God.
No wonder I'm an atheist. I can't possibly bring myself to believe that.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
No wonder I'm an atheist. I can't possibly bring myself to believe that.
What do you mean? Do you believe that children are a curse?

Old 07-26-2009, 09:10 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I don't consider myself "green" in any way but when we decided to have kids we knew we only wanted 2. Replacing ourselves, and no more, just felt right to us. It's what both our parents did and, as luck would have it, we all ended up with a boy and a girl so we never felt like we missed out on anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living