Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,868,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Its blatantly clear that you know very little about Pedophilia. Actually as a Foster Parent that has to deal with the end result of this incredibly disgusted aspect of some sub-humans, it amazes me that someone would so casually bring such a subject up just to make a silly point about meat versus veggies. You really should be ashamed of yourself in my humble opinion...

Still to educate you a bit, you should know that pedophiles do not prey upon children because they derive sexual pleasure from it. You seem to know the human body well enough, so you should know that two consenting adults provide the greatest pleasure from a sexual act. The closer a couple can get to getting what they really want, the better it is. Pedophilia is about sheer power and control, and they prey upon the meekest humans because it gives them the greatest contrast between the two extremes. Pedophiles do not feel children are on this earth for their pleasure, rather they see children as being the weakest of the weak. They thrive on the ability to control, just as any rapist does, and continue their sick endeavor again and again because the power they feel upon doing so.
You should know that I did not make that analogy lightly. For me, its more than just a question of meat vs veggies, its about mankind's wanton killing of animals for our own use - with little thought to their welfare. Man's relationship with animals is a power relationship in which we dominate because a) we can, and b) because it makes us feel good. We eat them and wear their skins - pretty ghoulish when you consider those animals had lives, families, children, etc. Ever wonder why mother cows cry when their calves are taken away?

So, when you look at it this way, the parallels to pedophilia are clear - a power relationship over the weak and defenseless. Its just that one (animal flesh eating and wearing their skins) is a large part of our economy and way of life so few dare to question it. This may sound over the top because most people don't think of it this way (or dare not to since it could mean admitting to causing so much suffering). Nonetheless, that is how I see the sanctity of all life (to include unborn children). Just call me pro life across the board.

So again, I don't draw this parallel lightly or with any disrepect to anyone who has ever been a victim of pedophilia. That said, just wait to see how many will gleefully respond with how much they love eating dead animals and wearing their skin.

Thanks for the discussion.

Last edited by Xpat; 05-04-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 07:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,304,594 times
Yep - I "gleefully" eat the Beef, Chicken, Pork, Fish, wild Game -

And, yes, I "wear" their skins - Those leathers protect me when I'm riding the motorcycle!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:31 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,377,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
You are absolutely right. In this country we have two choices...we can pay the farmer for quality food or we can pay the doctor for pills and Dr visits. And the latter is what we have chosen to take as a society.
In regards to the topic. The issue I pointed out was that due to the large increase in population over the last 100-200 years, the demand for foods, especially cheap food, has increased vastly (despite more natural, non-fast foods being better). Scientists have already pointed out that the oceans will be overfished at the current rates of demand and population by 2050.

Accelerating Loss of Ocean Species Threatens Human Well-Being

On land, the conversion of the Amazon into cropland is more or less the same type of situation. Basically people choose the convenience of cheap fast food, even though the eventual long term cost may be great. What is happening is large corporations are doing business on tremendous volume at low margins, but this means high utilization of resources.

Here are articles concerning Amazon land used for cropland for McDonald's business.

Greenpeace: McDonald's harming the Amazon - USATODAY.com

New Allies on The Amazon - washingtonpost.com

Growth in Amazon Cropland May Impact Climate and Deforestation Patterns : News

Old 05-04-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yep - I "gleefully" eat the Beef, Chicken, Pork, Fish, wild Game -

And, yes, I "wear" their skins - Those leathers protect me when I'm riding the motorcycle!
Moderator cut: No personal attacks, insults, or flaming

Last edited by vec101; 05-05-2009 at 05:52 AM..

Old 05-04-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Moderator cut: No personal attacks, insults, or flaming

Sure it is. Catholics eat meat all the time - even on Friday.

Moderator cut: Off topic

Last edited by vec101; 05-05-2009 at 05:52 AM..

Old 05-04-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sure it is. Catholics eat meat all the time - even on Friday.

Last edited by vec101; 05-05-2009 at 05:53 AM..

Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You know... It's really sad when un-informed "green people" turn into zealots. They do more damage than good to their cause.

I am all FOR living as green as possible. And I do. But some of the inflammatory and ignorant rhetoric I see thrown around makes me ashamed of admitting to want to be green.
And herein lies the crux of the matter. For those of us who truly would like to see more people living green, it really is frustrating and irksome to see those who have chosen these things as vehicles for their zealotry (which I firmly believe, based on past observation, would have to come out somehow, because the zealotry is the real basis, it just needs a focus and green living or vegetarianism or both serve for some), simply because they drive more people away from the cause than to it.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,714,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And herein lies the crux of the matter. For those of us who truly would like to see more people living green, it really is frustrating and irksome to see those who have chosen these things as vehicles for their zealotry (which I firmly believe, based on past observation, would have to come out somehow, because the zealotry is the real basis, it just needs a focus and green living or vegetarianism or both serve for some), simply because they drive more people away from the cause than to it.
And sadly, some of the loudest "green zealots" aren't even living green. At all. Al Gore would be a prime example of one such person.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Moderator cut: Off topic .
Nah - just stating my feelings on how much I like meat to eat and skins to wear.

Last edited by vec101; 05-05-2009 at 05:55 AM..

Old 05-04-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Moderator cut: No personal attacks, insults, or flaming What of the zealotrous responses by the pro-meat crowd? Do they receive the same level of scorn Moderator cut: No personal attacks, insults, or flaming ?

If you really want to promote green living, is it such a stretch to examine the water, grain, fuel, and soil demands of the widespread practice of eating meat and take a hard look at the results (even if it means receiving answers you don't want to hear)? These things are measureable and quite a few of these measurements have been provided.

No one has asked you to become a vegetarian, just to consider the envioronmental impacts of what happens when our society consumes to much of it. Is that really asking so much?

Last edited by vec101; 05-05-2009 at 05:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living