Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:29 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times

Advertisements

There's nothing wrong with the dark. It's more peaceful and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 07:13 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
We never appeared to have that problem. Remember, when your eyes have adjusted, you can see well enough (and hear well enough) to tell if someone is trying to sneak up on you (and how many times have you had that happen, by the way?)
I haven't had it happen, but you never know what sort of unsavory characters might be around the next dark corner. and it's a bit hard in my neighborhood to hear when people are coming up behind you considering there's a train going by every few minutes and cars and trucks rumbling by constantly.

we're going to have to agree to disagree. i personally hope I don't ever experience a blackout in Chicago.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:04 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Yes that is it.

In rural America we require that cars have headlights. So car crivers can safely see where they are going.

Then we shoot anyone who tries to raise taxes so they can afford to power streetlights.

Maybe the cities of our great nation could learn from the country folk.
Incredible, all this time I figured I need to have someone running ahead with a lantern while driving at night. LOL

Old 08-17-2009, 08:05 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
We never appeared to have that problem. Remember, when your eyes have adjusted, you can see well enough (and hear well enough) to tell if someone is trying to sneak up on you (and how many times have you had that happen, by the way?)
"(and how many times have you had that happen, by the way?)"

It could only take the first time....

Old 08-17-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
???

"Too dark for people to drive safely" ???

Um, here in Maine we have laws that require cars to have things called "headlights".

Each vehicle has these things on them, so each vehicle can shine light in front of it. Therefore it is NEVER too dark to drive.

Street lights in neighborhoods do make for safer driving....and if you don't think so....go drive down a dark country road without street lights, then go to a neighborhood with then and you will see the difference....And yes I have done several times.....I have a small place in the country...

Old 08-17-2009, 08:11 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
So, let's see, how many things that might happen, however unlikely, should we be on constant vigilance against and organize the living of our lives around?

Doesn't sound like much of a life to me, living in fear that way. Heck, I've lived in some pretty rough areas in my time, but I didn't organize my life around fear. Imagine all the things that one misses (beautiful night skies, for example, just as one) when one lives that way. Sad, really.

I don't have a small place in the country, I LIVE in the country and drive down dark country roads on a regular basis. And I've lived in the city and driven down city and neighborhood streets (and still do, as we still own the place in the city). Actually, at night, I find it easier driving in the country because there's not so many oncoming vehicles with their blinding headlights to contend with.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
There's nothing wrong with the dark. It's more peaceful and quiet.
Dark has a sound????? LOL

Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,364 times
What is wrong with the dark? You can't see anything.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
So, let's see, how many things that might happen, however unlikely, should we be on constant vigilance against and organize the living of our lives around?

Doesn't sound like much of a life to me, living in fear that way. Heck, I've lived in some pretty rough areas in my time, but I didn't organize my life around fear. Imagine all the things that one misses (beautiful night skies, for example, just as one) when one lives that way. Sad, really.

I don't have a small place in the country, I LIVE in the country and drive down dark country roads on a regular basis. And I've lived in the city and driven down city and neighborhood streets (and still do, as we still own the place in the city). Actually, at night, I find it easier driving in the country because there's not so many oncoming vehicles with their blinding headlights to contend with.
Yeah and I bet you still ride a horse and buggy to town....

Old 08-17-2009, 08:21 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Well, I could if I wanted to, town is close enough and one of the horses is trained to drive (if I had a buggy, that is), but, no, we have a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel and a Camry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living