Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:05 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am so sorry.

That must be terribly limiting to have so much fear.

I see from your writing that: You find the dark is scary for you; You fear being alone and there might be muggers or killers lurking in the dark; You are spooked by creepy trees; and you want to hide away in a lit diner.

I wonder if you presume that muggers and killers lurk in the dark and they must be capable of seeing in the dark? I wish to comfort you, as you say you can't see in the dark, but no body else can either.

I know that most rapists are first your friend. It is rarely that a rapist attacks a victim in the dark, as an un-known attacker.

Muggers and killers? I dont know. I think of these things are being robberies. For a robbery the attacker must think that you have something he wants. It is not the dark that makes him attack, it is that you carry a purse. Robberies often are in well lighted places like stores and sidewalks. The attackers want to see that you have a purse. He needs the light too.

No. Usually they are high wattage vapor sodium lights.
I have actually been mugged before,and for some reason, some people seem more aggressive at night. I do recall a few nights when people have screamed at me from their cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 07:21 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Oh, heck, I've been "screamed at" from cars in broad daylight. Usually by people who wouldn't know what to do if they had to actually face me in person, compensating for their own lacks. Since I didn't internalize their actions to mean anything about me, here I am, years later, no harm done.

What were the circumstances of your mugging? You do realize that you are allowing the mugger to continue to have power over you until you in some way deal with the fears that were very naturally generated by the event?

Old 08-22-2009, 09:55 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
The trauma of having been attacked is very real, and should be dealt with if you hope to have a normal life.

I do hope that you seek counseling.

To live in so much fear is not needed, and it does limit your potential for future enjoyment.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:46 AM

141 posts, read 287,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
We see a lot of hype on TV about all the devices we have that are 'vampires' consuming power. All the little power transformers to charge our phones, the cable box, the DVD player, etc., etc., etc.

Ok they are consuming power, small amounts, and in every household it surely adds up.

Why do I never see anything about the huge amounts of power consumed by unnecessary outside lighting? Why do people feel the need to create a pool of light pollution in the middle of a quiet dark neighborhood? Another observation is the people that do this are almost always from the north. If you drove down my street at 2 AM and noted all the houses with outside lights, vs. houses in the dark, the lighted are from NY or NJ primarily.

It is lovely here, very few street lights, and while you can't see the milky way anymore due to light pollution, you can see lots of stars. Now a couple from NY bought next door, and they have at least 1000 watts of outdoor lighting on 24/7 as the don't even turn them off during the day. No timers, no motion detectors, just always on.

When will the 'that ain't green' crowd broach the topic of outside lighting, or is this just a taboo topic as too many people are scared of the dark? In 24 hours they consume more power than my vampires do in a year.
think partially in urban and suburban areas there is a concern that darkness will invite crime. is it true> i dont know, but many women in my life hate to parkk in dark areas because of it

Old 08-29-2009, 09:01 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am so sorry.

That must be terribly limiting to have so much fear.

I see from your writing that: You find the dark is scary for you; You fear being alone and there might be muggers or killers lurking in the dark; You are spooked by creepy trees; and you want to hide away in a lit diner.

I wonder if you presume that muggers and killers lurk in the dark and they must be capable of seeing in the dark? I wish to comfort you, as you say you can't see in the dark, but no body else can either.

I know that most rapists are first your friend. It is rarely that a rapist attacks a victim in the dark, as an un-known attacker.

Muggers and killers? I dont know. I think of these things are being robberies. For a robbery the attacker must think that you have something he wants. It is not the dark that makes him attack, it is that you carry a purse. Robberies often are in well lighted places like stores and sidewalks. The attackers want to see that you have a purse. He needs the light too.

No. Usually they are high wattage vapor sodium lights.
My perspective is that criminals tend to do their dirty work in poorly lit areas where alot of people can't see it.

I would say using fluorescent bulbs is a better idea.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:17 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,516 times
Sodium vapor lights, especially the white ones, are like something out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie. They cast an ugly creepy glow. They are a blight on beauty. I study the lighting in Vegas, and small towns. The white garish lights look ugly everywhere. Pretty lights look good anywhere.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Pretty lights look good anywhere.
No, they don't. There are places where lighting of any kind is inappropriate and destroys the beauty of the night. (See prior discussion in this thread.)

Old 08-29-2009, 10:34 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Outside lighting is a security issue. What about cars that use their lights even though it's still light out?

Old 08-29-2009, 10:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
The average household uses about 9% of its electricity to create lighting. Most light pollution is commercial. Overall, lighting consumes almost one third of the electricity put into the nation's power grids.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:27 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
I have a yard light on my farm ( always had one ever since we got electricity in the50's) and wouldn't be without one.

No, I can assure you I do not have it cuz I'm afraid of the dark.

Most real farmers have one.
Most pretend farmers don't.

I doubt it's cuz pretend farmers are more brave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living