Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:36 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times

Advertisements

I think the bottled water companies did a heck of a marketing job- because now everyone in America is afraid to drink their tap water! Tap water is clean, it doesn't have bacteria or dangerous chemicals in this country- we really only "need" to filter it to take out some minerals to make it taste better.

As others have mentioned, sure there are times where it's necessary to buy a bottle- going to a game, maybe going on a flight, etc. But otherwise there is no reason for people not to just fill stainless steel bottles at home with tap water or filtered tap water. And those filters are far, far cheaper than buying bottled water- not even in the same hemisphere cost-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 03:49 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
Anyone who's ever had to travel for work, especially air travel, knows why plastic bottles are necessary.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:50 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I think the bottled water companies did a heck of a marketing job- because now everyone in America is afraid to drink their tap water! Tap water is clean, it doesn't have bacteria or dangerous chemicals in this country- we really only "need" to filter it to take out some minerals to make it taste better.

As others have mentioned, sure there are times where it's necessary to buy a bottle- going to a game, maybe going on a flight, etc. But otherwise there is no reason for people not to just fill stainless steel bottles at home with tap water or filtered tap water. And those filters are far, far cheaper than buying bottled water- not even in the same hemisphere cost-wise.
Maybe where you live. I live in a major metropolitan area where we are advised to not drink the tap water for six months out of the year because of the pollutants and chemicals in it. The chemicals can't be filtered out.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:53 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,574 times
at home i use filtered water but i travel with my job, thus staying in hotels, which results in buying water in plastic bottles during my stay do i have any other options when i am out on business?

Old 05-19-2010, 01:41 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:

I agree, with the addendum that buildings with old pipes can take otherwise wonderful tap water and make it taste like sewage. I use brita filters for that reason, even though Chicago tap is clean enough to brew beer with (ironically, my water at home is cleaner coming out of a garden hose).

Old 05-19-2010, 01:45 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Tap water is clean. This is the myth spread on the major news sources and every other news media. It is not clean and it is not at times even safe. Any idea how many drugs are flushed, drained, and dumped into every water supply in America? Seriously people. If you are still drinking tap water you are just plain dumbed down.

Yes plastic. I recycle every gallon I use. And I put clean mountain water in my body..........

Old 05-20-2010, 01:29 PM

The Fresh Air Interview: Peter Gleick - 'On America's Great Thirst For Bottled Water' : NPR

Old 05-20-2010, 03:00 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,524 times
Quote:
I think the bottled water companies did a heck of a marketing job- because now everyone in America is afraid to drink their tap water! Tap water is clean,
Some people don't like the taste of chlorine.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:24 PM

345 posts, read 1,641,766 times
Quote:

Try drinking the water in New Orleans.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Some people don't like the taste of chlorine.
Chlorine - Why is Chlorine Added to Tap Water?

Concerned consumers without the money to spend on home filtration, though, can just rely on good old-fashioned patience. Chlorine and related compounds will make their way out of tap water if the container is simply left uncovered in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

I've found that just shaking/stirring a glass of tap water will get rid of the chlorine within a minute.

I'm not sure how much chlorine is in Chicago's tap water, though, so I'm sure this varies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living