Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:09 PM

62 posts, read 176,505 times

Advertisements

Anybody got any idea why I am suddenly getting cockroaches cruising around in my garage. Seems like I snuff one or two a day lately. By lately I mean the past two or three weeks.

And, how do I get rid of them? I have roach hotels in various places around the garage, but I still see them. If they are coming in from outside, what's a good spray that is non toxic to pets that works?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 06:35 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
I understand that most home cockroach infestations happen because they are seeking water, not food. When it's particularly dry outside, they will look for water in your home. So, if you have water sources in your garage that could be removed (like standing puddles or leaky pipe connections), you should address those.

The best solution I've found is borax, or one of the borax-based roach killer powders you can find at any home improvement or hardware store (these add a food attractant, so theoretically should work better than plain borax). There are several advantages to these products--they're effective, long-lasting, and they're not as toxic as pesticide-based products. Borax can be toxic to pets, but for one your pets shouldn't be "attracted" to it (i.e., they don't see it as something to eat), and you generally want to sprinkle it in cracks, crevices, and under/behind things where pets can't get to it anyway. As long as you don't put it directly in the pet food bowls, you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:54 AM

693 posts, read 1,606,876 times
Borax does work, but also an exterminator can be good to nip it in the bud before they lay lots of little babies. Most exterminators will come out for a one shot treatment for about $60.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:13 PM

^ $60 for an exterminator, with his/her highly toxic chemicals, versus about $3 for a container of borax-based roach killer...the choice is yours.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:35 PM

693 posts, read 1,606,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ $60 for an exterminator, with his/her highly toxic chemicals, versus about $3 for a container of borax-based roach killer...the choice is yours.
no "smiley" for arrogant. pity that.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:37 AM

^ Melbern, not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying I'm arrogant because I want to save myself (and others) $57?

I did not intend to sound arrogant. I"m merely trying to provide information for people who may not know these things, but apparently I struck a raw nerve with you. Perhaps you're an exterminator? If so, understand that I have nothing against exterminators. But I do think highly toxic chemicals should be used with extreme caution, and only when absolutely necessary. IMO, roaches in a garage would not justify spending $60--not only because there's a much cheaper alternative, but also because it's an outside area so it's somewhat futile to attempt to keep roaches out. Not sure why you would "pity that".

Old 10-14-2009, 06:11 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,266 times
All you need is The Hot Shot Foggers. We had a bad roach infestation in our pack house. I used these and they worked great. All the roaches crawled out of the pack house and died an hour later. Haven't seen a roach since then.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,118 times
What is something non-toxic I can use on myself? I was at someone's place and bugs got in my hair. I've read about that happening to someone else, too, however. I was wondering if there were any way of knowing they're completely gone, because they say for one there are usually one hundred more, meaning that they're babies hatch very quickly. I had cockroaches crawling out of my hair (big ones) when I would take a shower, since someone who helped me out at the hospital squished them without knowing it would make things worse. First, they just were in my hair. Then, they got into my head. That is why I had to have two MRI's done already to check and see if they're growing at all. Supposedly, with MRIs we'll be able to tell. I'm not so sure, though? I'm scared.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:23 PM

^ Say what???

Old 01-12-2010, 02:50 PM

873 posts, read 1,804,693 times
Propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloginnp View Post
What is something non-toxic I can use on myself? I was at someone's place and bugs got in my hair. I've read about that happening to someone else, too, however. I was wondering if there were any way of knowing they're completely gone, because they say for one there are usually one hundred more, meaning that they're babies hatch very quickly. I had cockroaches crawling out of my hair (big ones) when I would take a shower, since someone who helped me out at the hospital squished them without knowing it would make things worse. First, they just were in my hair. Then, they got into my head. That is why I had to have two MRI's done already to check and see if they're growing at all. Supposedly, with MRIs we'll be able to tell. I'm not so sure, though? I'm scared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point