Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 AM

11 posts, read 27,265 times

Advertisements

Neighborhoods change dramatically at night. Some neighborhoods are literally night and day. I couldn't imagine a neighborhood showing it's true colors when the sun is shining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 06:59 PM

6,165 posts, read 7,246,493 times
While this is surprising and came out of nowhere, small cities aren't immune to serious crime problems. Its not just big cities with a large minority population like Detroit, Baltimore and St Louis. I want to make that point so people don't stereotype cities with large black population. I do have a question. Is most of the crime gang related? I know Winston-Salem often gets a bad rap for its gang activity in some of its neighborhoods.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:18 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,300,807 times
That list is pure numbers, which is not necessarily the best way to do it. I'd feel safer at night on East 21st (#16) than I would in Over-the-Rhine in Cincinnati (which ranked 24th). Not safe, but safer.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:05 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,167,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
While this is surprising and came out of nowhere, small cities aren't immune to serious crime problems. Its not just big cities with a large minority population like Detroit, Baltimore and St Louis. I want to make that point so people don't stereotype cities with large black population. I do have a question. Is most of the crime gang related? I know Winston-Salem often gets a bad rap for its gang activity in some of its neighborhoods.
I don't know of any bad rap regarding gangs in W-S. We rarely hear the word "gang" associated with crime reports. Sure there is some gang activity, but from what I can tell it's minimal, and likely more gang wannabe's than a serious infestation. I think it's a broader drug culture issue, and while there is undoubtedly some gang element there, the drug-related crimes we hear about are more often users (theft, burglaries, etc. to pay for their habits) and conflicts among petty dealers and those who owe them money.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:14 PM

6,165 posts, read 7,246,493 times
The truth is that every city has areas that are not safe. Typically its economically depressed areas but crime also happens in wealthy neighborhoods as well, usually theft and break ins. I will say that revitalization and redevelopment does help lower the crime rate. What Winston-Salem is doing near those neighborhoods is a positive thing.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:13 AM

23 posts, read 40,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Hunter View Post
Neighborhoods change dramatically at night. Some neighborhoods are literally night and day. I couldn't imagine a neighborhood showing it's true colors when the sun is shining.
Then you don't know what bad is my friend. I was stationed in Southern California for years, and a wrong turn in the wrong hood in broad daylight could lead to your demise.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:17 AM

513 posts, read 513,360 times
I went to middle school on E. 21st street. It seemed pretty bad back then but I thought it has gotten better since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point