Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:11 PM

23 posts, read 60,936 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I have been exploring North Carolina as a possible place to relocate. I currently live in a small city in Florida of appoximately 50000 and want to locate to a larger city with more job opportunities and infrastructure. Charlotte would probably be too much of a culture shock but Raleigh or Winston Salem may work. I am a 40's single female and I will need a resonable apartment in a safe area. Although I drive, I will use public transportation sometimes as I learn the area. Is the bus system in Winston-Salem adequate? What is the social scene like for single adults who are not college age? Are most residents church goers and how are transient people received? Is this a town where native do not appreciate new comers? I read on one thread that it is difficult for transients to find jobs in Raleigh since locals prefer to hire other locals? Are the residents of Winston-Salem accepting of different races religions and ethnicities? Is the Mall there nice? Any information that will give me some idea about the main differences between Raleigh and Winston-Salem will be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:34 AM

700 posts, read 1,646,079 times
Living in W-S is OK. They try with the nightlife and things to do. Just are not there yet. The bus system is ok I guess. Never use. Finding a job is a challenge. Think that Raleigh would fit your bill a little better. Go to Raleigh. Best bet.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:53 PM

7 posts, read 19,829 times
Raleigh has a higher percentage of single men (sexual orientation unknown), as well as a progressive political/business/techno economy. It's bigger and has more options for entertainment. I attended college in Winston-Salem, which I still consider my "2nd home" several years later. Winston-Salem is a nice small to mid-size city, with a relatively stable, economy (if I can say this in this economic climate). It has numerous cultural venues, if you're the artsy type. Cost of living is lower, as they have a city council that works for the citizens. Aesthetically, Raleigh is the nicer-looking city, however, Winston-Salem has a hilly terrain, and if you're lucky, you may get a place with a nice, hilltop view. I might add that with the hilly terrain, you'll experience more ice/snow in Winston-Salem than in Raleigh because Winston-Salem is further to the west and is on the edge of the Appalachian foothills. I find the people in Winston-Salem to be more accepting than those in Raleigh. Raleigh is the State capital, therefore you will encounter more "suits". Winston-Salem has a manufacturing foundation where RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co. and Hanes Mills once reigned supreme. I live in Greensboro, DO NOT MOVE HERE. In Greensboro, we've had the same core goverment for more than 20 years--it's a cronie system with no fresh ideas, along with a government that focuses on copying and trying to compete with it's neighbors, rather than carving out a unique identity for our city--they don't have a clue. We've lost nearly 40K jobs in the last 4 years, where our neighbors (including Winston-Salem) are growing jobs. Also, in Greensboro, property taxes are extremely high compared to neighboring cities.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:07 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
If Charlotte would be too much of a culture shock for you, Raleigh just might as well. Go with Winston-Salem; it's a good stepping stone between a small town and mid-major city.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,238,823 times
Raleigh hands down! However, I would move to where you find employment in this economy. As far as Raleigh employers only wanting locals, I will have to disagree. I think the issue is that there's alot of qualified applicants applying for the same job due to the economy. Raleigh has a healthy mix of ethnicities as well. There are many ransplants in Raleigh. So, you'd blend right in.

The malls in WS or Greensboro do not compare to the shopping in Raleigh or Streets of Southpoint which is technically in Durham. Plus, WS/Greensboro lacks alot of my favorite restaurants including Maggiano's, Cheesecake Factory, etc.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 PM

231 posts, read 712,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If Charlotte would be too much of a culture shock for you, Raleigh just might as well. Go with Winston-Salem; it's a good stepping stone between a small town and mid-major city.
Charlotte and Raleigh are NOTHING alike. Two totally different urban cultures. Not being right for Charlotte does not suggest Raleigh would be wrong.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:58 PM

322 posts, read 666,593 times
For someone who lives in Charlotte, neither Raleigh or Winston-Salem are as urban in feel compared to Charlotte, but both cities have nice elements that would be attractive to a younger single person. I personally prefer Winston-Salem to Raleigh in it's cultural attributes such as Old Salem (which no other city in the state has anything to compare), MESDA, Reynolda House Museum and SECCA, along with year long cutting edge performance provided by students at UNC School of the Arts. Socially Raleigh and Winston-Salem would be on about equal par for singles..both have top universities that retain a fair amount of local talented and educated residents. I would say that Raleigh is currently experiencing a possible decline in jobs with the loss of it's only Fortune 500 company due to it's merger with Duke Energy, and the purchase of RBC bank. This does not take into account the jobs that are constantly added or taken away at nearby RTP, or in Cary, which I don't consider 'Raleigh' proper. You take away the draw of the state government and state museums, NCSU, and the Carolina Hurricanes, and what is left? Shopping is a matter of subjection whereever you live...here in Charlotte we have Nordstrom's, an abbreviated version of Neiman Marcus, and alot those tacky cookie cutter/over decorated/over priced restaurants like Cheesecake, Ruth Chris's and others, but, so what? They're fodder for the pretentious. Raleigh and Winston-Salem have H&M which Charlotte does not. Winston-Salem has high tech with the medical centers and research area, and one of the highest rated universities in the nation....Raleigh is close to high tech at RTP, and has a great state supported art museum with a great collection of Rodin sculpture. I don't think you could go wrong with either city if you're looking for great mid-sized cities.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Charlotte and Raleigh are NOTHING alike. Two totally different urban cultures. Not being right for Charlotte does not suggest Raleigh would be wrong.
I'm well aware that they are not the same size and aren't clones of each other, although I disagree with your strong sentiment that suggests that they are radically different from each other (and as fast-growing, relatively newly-minted Sunbelt metropolises, they both have very similar urban cultures; we're talking Charlotte and Raleigh here, not Philadelphia and Raleigh). My only point is that coming from a town of 50,000, it's quite possible that Raleigh might be a bit too big for her tastes as well. It all depends on what her threshold is, which is why I said "might."

Old 02-17-2012, 06:27 PM

231 posts, read 712,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm well aware that they are not the same size and aren't clones of each other, although I disagree with your strong sentiment that suggests that they are radically different from each other (and as fast-growing, relatively newly-minted Sunbelt metropolises, they both have very similar urban cultures; we're talking Charlotte and Raleigh here, not Philadelphia and Raleigh). My only point is that coming from a town of 50,000, it's quite possible that Raleigh might be a bit too big for her tastes as well. It all depends on what her threshold is, which is why I said "might."
A cosmopolitan metro vs a cesspool of rednecks and gangs... Yes, culturally they are radically different, regardless of size.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
A cosmopolitan metro vs a cesspool of rednecks and gangs... Yes, culturally they are radically different, regardless of size.
Oh get real and stop with the exaggerations on either end. Both are newish large midsized cities with downtowns filling up with hotels and restaurants with a dire lack of historic structures and retail. Sure Charlotte is further along in urban development, but the urban culture and character of both are practically the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point