Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,301 times

Advertisements

Hey I'm looking to move to the triad area soon.. it will be me my fiance and my 2 year old daughter! I am planning as we speak. My mother in law is also relocating with her husband they have a place in highpoint. She says it is a very nice area we will be coming down on the 26th to visit. My fiance and I will need to find jobs as soon as we get there. How is the job market in this area? What kinds of job opportunities are in this area? We come from an urban area we really want to get out of that type of environment. What are the more rural /suburban nieghborhoods? What is the cost of living in these areas?( I've done some reasearch but id like a more personal perspective. ) I hope alot of these questions will be answered on my visit. But this is my first time im going to live in another state.. I did basic training for the army in Georgia I loved it. But the closer I get the more nervous and scared I get lol.. so I guess I'm just looking for advice on moving to another state. Any advice you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated thanks! I will keep you guys updated throughout this new scary/exciting experience: )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 10:42 AM

34,123 posts, read 83,117,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohn0 View Post
...mother in law is also relocating with her husband they have a place in highpoint. She says it is a very nice area we will be coming down on the 26th to visit...

Any advice you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated thanks!
Plan to take a LOT of time (like a week at least) for day trips and a few overnights so you can seek the personal experience of everything and direct answers to all the questions you have.

As for the unemployment situation:
North Carolina unemployment rates, county-by-county :: WRAL.com

Old 06-12-2012, 01:03 PM

138 posts, read 419,572 times
We moved here (High Point) from Pittsburgh 11 years ago and aside from a little culture shock, it's been great. Cost of living is a little lower than western PA was, but not drastically so, but the culture and pace of things definately are an adjustment. So a few things to remember to help your transition.
  • Nobody knows what chipped ham is (except the Russian girl at the Adams Farm Harris Teeter), if you ask for shredded, you might get lucky.
  • Wave to people on your street, just do it, you'll get used to it.
  • Jag and all variations like jaggers and jag offs, don't even bother saying it in any phrase, they won't understand, and at best will laugh at you or at worst be offended
  • Pop, it's a soda or simply a Coke, even if its a Pepsi
  • Cheerwine, it's the southern version of Cherokee Red
  • Slippy, again, another term that'll just get you stupid looks and make people think your a child, just say slippery.
  • Red does not mean "clean", it's only a color down here.
Good luck with your move.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:10 PM

75 posts, read 383,981 times
There are a lot of PA people down here, and from what I have heard from the ones I have spoken with at length, they are impressed with the lower crime and general friendliness. I have met far more PA people in W-S than any other Triad area, but there are many nice suburbs within driving distance to High Point and W-S. I would suggest a look a look at Kernersville and Clemmons/Lewisville for quiet areas that are family friendly.

As for the job market it really depends on your experience and education. Be willing to commute and it will open up more possibilities. My husband would take a paycut to work perm in W-S, but for 2 years it's not been possible in his field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point