Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 02:51 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of narrowing down further for my move and was wondering there was such a thing as a low crime "front porch" neighborhood in Greensboro which I refer to as neighborhoods with sidewalks, homes that are closer together, preferably older, front porches and a place where neighbors tend to walk/stroll the neighborhood and interact versus drive in/out and maybe wave. The Sunset Hills neighborhood seemed promising but the aspect of living close to areas that aren't so safe (basically surrounded) doesn't appeal to me. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 08:03 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Funny, I was going to suggest Sunset hills because it does have many sidewalks, is a very blended neighborhood, & people do walk around. A few weeks ago the area was blocked off to through traffic due to a...............wait for it..............block party. Also during the holiday season parts of the neighborhood are lit up with crunchberries hanging in the trees. However, you can check to see if Fisher park or Irving park are to your liking.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:26 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
That sounds like College Hill, the housing between Greensboro College and UNCG. The neighborhoods on the other side of UNCG between Spring Garden and Friendly, west of Aycock, are also kind of like that.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
That sounds like College Hill, the housing between Greensboro College and UNCG. The neighborhoods on the other side of UNCG between Spring Garden and Friendly, west of Aycock, are also kind of like that.
We live near the College Hill area also.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:25 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
One of the nice things about Greensboro IMO is that it preserved a great deal of 1910s-1940s housing. It's not a highly historic atmosphere like Richmond or Charleston, but there are many interesting Craftsman and Foursquare homes available that people would pay through the nose for in Charlotte.

Explore out from the colleges to the north along Mendenhall, and I think those neighborhoods between Friendly and Benjamin have character too ... all the way west to behind the hospital. They back up to Daniel Park which my mother sometimes takes for walks even though she does not live in the city limits.

To the OP, just go on Google Maps and explore in street view. Greensboro is thoroughly mapped.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:44 AM

It breaks my heart to see many of those old homes hacked up into student apartments, but it beats them being demolished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point