Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2021, 11:59 AM

57 posts, read 51,385 times

Advertisements

On the topic of streetscape and the Westin (which will be on Davie), the city has not released its plans for Davie Streetscape and for feedback.

https://www.yesweekly.com/news/davie...1724175e7.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 03:15 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,230,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
1.i talked to someone that "claimed" they worked at bourbon bowl, and they said they were open for buisness, so i definitely jumped the gun on that.

2. i said the hampton inn is complete not open, interior and exterior is complete, but it's not open, and i have no clue when it will be open.

3. the eugene parking garage has been open for several weeks, people park there in the daytime-evening, infact we just had a large car meet there about 3 days ago on the 7th floor.

4. the westin at this point finally has some site activity, we MAY POSSIBLY see it start to go vertical soon.
But literally anything can happen at this point, i just hope there are no snags to halt construction again.

Once all foundation work is done we'll start seeing some cranes brought to the site. It will take at least two unless they erect one of those large tower cranes. It would be a sight for sore eyes if they do. I drive by there in the evening and there is definitely ground work going on.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:42 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Once all foundation work is done we'll start seeing some cranes brought to the site. It will take at least two unless they erect one of those large tower cranes. It would be a sight for sore eyes if they do. I drive by there in the evening and there is definitely ground work going on.
As long as there are no snags that can bring construction to a dead halt again. This project has been in the works for more than a decade, so far all there is to show for it, is a torn down parking structure and a massive hole in the middle of the CBD. It's a bit ridiculous how it's taken this long to get to it's current state, however a 9 story office building and 7 story parking garage went up (and opened!!) in the blink of an eye in comparison.

So i'll hold my breath until i see something vertical, hell, even a steel beam rising out of the foundation would suffice at this point.

I refuse to take pictures of more construction vehicles just sitting on the site(we have pages and pages of photos like that). I need actual progress. The bailey mixed use development on east market literally just started, yet they are already far ahead of the Westin site. I honestly have no doubts in my mind that the AC hotel will be built before the Westin finishes.

Last edited by YinXyang; 04-15-2021 at 12:58 PM..

Old 04-15-2021, 03:47 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,058,104 times
Quote:
As long as there are no snags that can bring construction to a dead halt again. This project has been in the works for more than a decade, so far all there is to show for it, is a torn down parking structure and a massive hole in the middle of the CBD. It's a bit ridiculous how it's taken this long to get to it's current state, however a 9 story office building and 7 story parking garage went up (and opened!!) in the blink of an eye in comparison.

So i'll hold my breath until i see something vertical, hell, even a steel beam rising out of the foundation would suffice at this point.

I refuse to take pictures of more construction vehicles just sitting on the site(we have pages and pages of photos like that). I need actual progress. The bailey mixed use development on east market literally just started, yet they are already far ahead of the Westin site. I honestly have no doubts in my mind that the AC hotel will be built before the Westin finishes.
Exactly! I'll believe something comes of the Westin when something tangible starts. The AC will be built first and I have faith in that project (the whole block) happening. I do suspect downtown's hotel market is becoming saturated.

I just hope that block is able to bring I'm some retail/restaurants. It would be nice to have a row of places to go outside the baseball stadium.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:02 PM

388 posts, read 291,745 times
More retail would be awsome downtown. Do you guys think retail stores that are Chains like Bath and Body works, Walgreens, Starbucks, etc. Will ever be placed downtown. I still think its awsome that Winston has a CVS store downtown. I just wonder if Chains would ever go back toward downtown aeras.. I hear stories of when Belks dept store was downtown . I just imagine how awsome that must of been.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfromnc_2000 View Post
More retail would be awsome downtown. Do you guys think retail stores that are Chains like Bath and Body works, Walgreens, Starbucks, etc. Will ever be placed downtown. I still think its awsome that Winston has a CVS store downtown. I just wonder if Chains would ever go back toward downtown aeras.. I hear stories of when Belks dept store was downtown . I just imagine how awsome that must of been.
I would love to see one of those urban Target stores. They are smaller than the suburban ones but to have those kind of retail options downtown would be phenomenal particularly as we see more residential development downtown. The residential population downtown would probably need to quadruple for a store like that. Based on rental rates, the residential demographics downtown are becoming more and more upper income so its only a matter of time. Downtown Greensboro just needs to reach that critical mass and demand continues to be high for downtown residential whether it be rental or for sale.

Here is a small format urban Target in downtown Lexington, Kentucky. Lexington and Greensboro are comparable in size. Would be nice to see something like this on the street level of Carroll South of the Ballpark with apartments above which is the part of downtown seeing the most residential growth. These small format Target stores are also built near larger college populations. Downtown Greensboro is surrounded by 4 colleges and universities including Elon School of Law.

As for the Westin, they are definitely preparing for foundation work. I'm seeing steel rods on site used for foundation construction. Once the foundation is in place we'll see cranes being delivered to the site.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-16-2021 at 03:41 PM..

Old 04-16-2021, 03:46 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,062 times
How Greensboro, A city of over 300.000 people; does not have any retail chains downtown truly really astonishes me.

At least an urban target, Walmart neighborhood market, Walgreens, CVS...something.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
How Greensboro, A city of over 300.000 people; does not have any retail chains downtown truly really astonishes me.

At least an urban target, Walmart neighborhood market, Walgreens, CVS...something.
Agreed. But Greensboro has lagged in the pace of downtown residential growth when you compare Greensboro with other peer cities. However the pace has picked up and I have no doubt that we will see that kind of retail downtown. The scale of downtown residential is growing in size as well as demand increases. Residential construction started out with 3- story apartment buildings. Now we are seeing 5 to 6 story residential. It won't be long before downtown residential construction breaks 10-stories.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-16-2021 at 04:00 PM..

Old 04-16-2021, 04:53 PM

854 posts, read 419,629 times
Quote:

Retailers aren't stupid, they open stores where they can make money. It simply isn't that kind of downtown. And Greensboro may be a city of 300,000, but one could never imagine it based on such a tiny and lackluster city center. Maybe in time, though I'm not sure how well positioned Greensboro is to weather the next inevitable recession. Here's to hoping that your optimism is rewarded.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:01 PM

678 posts, read 496,592 times
Quote:

All cities of 300,000 people aren't created equal. Do Raleigh or Durham have any retail chains in their downtown?? Can't imagine a Walgreens or CVS making any money with a downtown location, especially considering they are pretty much all over the place these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point