Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 10:37 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times

Advertisements

In less than a year a new section of the I-840 urban loop will be complete and it will include the longest bridge over wetlands in North Carolina, nearly a mile long. Segments of the loop includes four interstates and half of the loop is complete.

Taking the high road: Urban Loop's new section towers and tantalizes - Local News - News-Record.com

I-40, I-73, I-840 interchange in west Greensboro near the airport.

I-73 Flyover bridge on to I-85

Exit sign which is the first to include I-840

Piedmont Triad International Airport taxiway bridge over the I-73 segment. This part of I-73 is just west of the loop. It will be the only airport taxiway bridge over an interstate highway in North Carolina. Further south the Bryan Blvd expressway was rerouted around the airport which was a cheaper alternative to the first plan for building a tunnel under the third runway.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 10-26-2016 at 11:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 06:23 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
I'm eager to see all of this finally completed, as well as the upgrades to route 68. Hoping it will help to build up the Oak Ridge end a bit more.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:09 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
When is construction of the segment from Battleground Avenue to United States Route 29 projected to begin?

Old 10-27-2016, 09:22 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
When is construction of the segment from Battleground Avenue to United States Route 29 projected to begin?
According to the NCDOT website: "Right of way acquisition is scheduled to begin in 2016, and construction is scheduled to start in 2018."

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/greensborourbanloop/

Old 10-27-2016, 12:10 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
The loop should be entirely complete in four or five years. Its actually way ahead of schedule. The state fast fowarded the project.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:44 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
At least NC is making progress on I-73. I-73 is all but dead in VA.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
At least NC is making progress on I-73. I-73 is all but dead in VA.
Yeah, you can thank Martinsville for that. Just don't understand the mentality up there.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Yeah, you can thank Martinsville for that. Just don't understand the mentality up there.
Martinsville and Henry County seem to be at odds lately regarding I-73.

Martinsville: City Council asks state to create transportation district | News | martinsvillebulletin.com

Henry County: Tax district vote fails to move forward in Henry County | News | martinsvillebulletin.com

Old 10-28-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The loop should be entirely complete in four or five years. Its actually way ahead of schedule. The state fast fowarded the project.
That bridge is pretty impressive!

Old 10-28-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post

I realize the fears in terms of cost and if the money would be used for what it's supposed to be used for. At the same time, you have to trust the process and you have to take a leap of faith. This project can be a savior for Martinsville and Danville. Those two areas have been depressed for so long and nothing substantial is being done about it. The truth is, this is a costly project, but it's one that would provide so much benefit to those areas, that the money spent would be worth every penny. This is one of those things that I believe the entire state of VA needs to pull together and help get started. If the idea is that tax revenue raised would be a drop in the bucket, then get other cities and counties across the state involved in helping out. I know that's easier said than done, but the whole state would truly benefit from I-73.

I've always said that Martinsville is in a great spot because it's located right between Greensboro and Roanoke. I suppose you could almost say the same thing about Danville. Both should be benefiting from both cities (Roanoke, and GSO). I view interstates like I-73 as a lasso that helps to pull the locations in closer to each other. The idea of an interstate that helps to cut down travel time between the cities, to where it's much more convenient to place your business in these areas, because you know you're now just 30 minutes, at most, from Greensboro, or 30 minutes from Roanoke. Centrally located, and probably cheaper to build as well. If I'm wanting to move a company into the region, and I'm looking at an area that is right between two "major" cities (I know we're not talking like Chicago and New York, but GSO and Roanoke are considered decent cities). I want the benefit of being able to expand in both directions, because Southside can act as a link between Roanoke and Greensboro.

Or maybe I'm just dreaming and giving the project a little too much credit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point