Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 12:15 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,222,091 times

Advertisements

Greensboro's Friendly Shopping Center is the Triad's most successful shopping destination and it was ahead of its time when it was built in the 1950s. It was the precursor of today's outdoor lifestyle centers. Here is a photo gallery which shows the center throughout the years and one of the pictures shows the Forum VI indoor mini mall built at Friendly Shopping Center which never caught on with shoppers. It included a ground level parking deck under the mall. Today the building is an office building with a K&W Cafeteria on the ground level. Today Friendly Center has been upgraded and includes high end establishments such as Brooks Brothers, Apple Store, REI, PF Changs, Ruth Chris Steakhouse, Whole Foods and Wolfgang Puck Pizza.

Friendly Shopping Center, through the years. - News-Record.com: Gallery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 05:07 PM

22 posts, read 27,996 times
Agree it's our best shopping area but I hate shopping there. It isn't pedestrian "friendly" at all and there are way too many cars moving in different directions. The newer Shoppes at Friendly are quite a bit better than original Friendly. Pedestrian bridges would help some I think.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:35 PM

The irony of its success is that the nearest interstate highway is several miles away yet its a major regional retail center. A lot has to do with demographics. Friendly Shopping Center is surrounded by some of the city's wealthiest neighborhoods. Starmount and Irving Park Neighborhoods are close by. Friendly Center is also in the geographic center of Greensboro. I personally think they should drop "shopping center" from the name. When you think of a shopping center you think of a strip mall. Maybe it should be reamed Friendly Towne Center or something like that.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-12-2015 at 06:45 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 07:52 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The irony of its success is that the nearest interstate highway is several miles away yet its a major regional retail center. A lot has to do with demographics. Friendly Shopping Center is surrounded by some of the city's wealthiest neighborhoods. Starmount and Irving Park Neighborhoods are close by. Friendly Center is also in the geographic center of Greensboro. I personally think they should drop "shopping center" from the name. When you think of a shopping center you think of a strip mall. Maybe it should be reamed Friendly Towne Center or something like that.
No one calls it "Friendly Shopping Center." They call it "Friendly Center." When I first heard people talking about it and was new to the area, I thought it was an arena or something, like the staples center.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:51 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
No one calls it "Friendly Shopping Center." They call it "Friendly Center." When I first heard people talking about it and was new to the area, I thought it was an arena or something, like the staples center.
Au contraire, it's always been Friendly Shopping Center to those of us who grew up near there. Two malls couldn't compete. Still can't.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:14 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
I still stop by on occasion when I'm in the area.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Au contraire, it's always been Friendly Shopping Center to those of us who grew up near there. Two malls couldn't compete. Still can't.
People say "Friendly Shopping Center"? And not just "Friendly Center" or even just "Friendly"? Because I've never heard a single person use the word "shopping" in the name, and I work with lots of people who grew up here. No matter.

Anyway, it's all a moot point. Friendly is doing just fine with its current name and doesn't have any need to bother with a rebrand.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
People say "Friendly Shopping Center"? And not just "Friendly Center" or even just "Friendly"? Because I've never heard a single person use the word "shopping" in the name, and I work with lots of people who grew up here. No matter.

Anyway, it's all a moot point. Friendly is doing just fine with its current name and doesn't have any need to bother with a rebrand.
I guess it depends on what the person calls it. I've always heard people say Friendly Shopping Center. I just figured since Friendly is becoming more and more upscale, it needs an upscale name to go with it. But I doubt they'll change it. When Four Seasons remodeled and added a third level or retail back in 1986, Koury Corp changed the name from Four Seasons Mall to Four Seasons Town Centre.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I guess it depends on what the person calls it. I've always heard people say Friendly Shopping Center. I just figured since Friendly is becoming more and more upscale, it needs an upscale name to go with it. But I doubt they'll change it. When Four Seasons remodeled and added a third level or retail back in 1986, Koury Corp changed the name from Four Seasons Mall to Four Seasons Town Centre.
Yeesh. Maybe I just know people who are big on brevity. I hear "Four Seasons" and "Friendly," and laugh when I imagine anyone saying "Yeah, we're headed over to Friendly Shopping Center." When they get there, do they go to Macy's Department Store, DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse, and maybe Fleming's Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar?

Old 01-14-2015, 04:16 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Unless I missed something Ruth Chris is not at Friendly (I call it Friendly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of: