Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,354 times

Advertisements

I am from the triad area originally but I have lived in the Washington, DC metro area for the past 19 years. My family and I have just moved back to the triad area, specifically Greensboro. We are renting an apartment until we sell our house in Northern VA. Areas that were nice are not anymore and we are trying to decide to move to Greensboro or Winston-Salem. We would like to stay between $300K-$350K for a house. We have heard that NW Greensboro is nice but I wonder if there are some areas that are comparable in Winston? Also, we are leaning toward private school or Montessori schools for our 2 boys. I would rather be in a better area for school and commute to work. Any ideas on neighborhoods would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 12:40 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Greensboro close in: Lindley Park, Sunset Hills, Hamilton Lakes, Green Valley, neighborhoods off Westridge Road. Further out: Oak Ridge, Summerfield
Winston-Salem close in: Ardmore, Sherwood Forest, Mt. Tabor. Further out: Clemmons, Lewisville.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:44 PM

Thanks.... Googling zip codes now!

Old 09-08-2015, 01:45 PM

149 posts, read 250,739 times
Greensboro Montessori school on Horsepen Creek is in a pretty nice area. There are tons of nice neighborhoods nearby. Some are off of Horsepen Creek. There is also the Lewiston Oaks and Cardinal neighborhoods. I'd also check high school attendance zones. The Cardinal is in Northwest attendance zone

http://schoolassignmentlocator.gcsnc...STRICTMAPS.pdf

kids tend to grow up fast, and unless you are planning on private school for HS, you should consider HS attendance zones. There are some pretty big differences in Greensboro High Schools.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:21 PM

85 posts, read 168,255 times
Save the money and look at the following public school zones in no particular order. These are some of the best public schools in the state of North Carolina.

Guilford County Schools (Greensboro):
1. Northern Guilford (most of Summerfield, small part of NW Greensboro and northern Guilford county)
2. Northwest Guilford (Oak Ridge, small part of Summerfield, Stokesdale, Colfax, small part of NW Greensboro)

Forsyth County(Winston-Salem):
1. Regan (Lewisville, small part of Western Winston-Salem)
2. West Forsyth (Clemmons, small part of SW Winston-Salem)

On a side note Northwest Guilford just got rewarded the 5th best "traditional" high school in the state of North Carolina by Newsweek Magazine. There were only six (6) "traditional" high schools in the entire state of North Carolina to make this years list. It was the only "traditional" high school in the triad metro area to land on the best of Newsweek High Schools for this academic year. Though I have seen Northern Guilford in years prior be the top high school in Guilford County and the triad metro and is traditionally in the top ten "traditional" high schools in the state as ranked by Newsweek. So they seem to flip flop from year to year in terms of rankings. You cant go wrong with either.
Also, Regan and West Forsyth in Forsyth County are also great public high schools if considering Winston-Salem Forsyth County. Again you cant go wrong with either of these districts.

If still not satisfied with public school options I suggested and still want to save the money I would strongly suggest you look at Summerfield Charter Academy in Summerfield.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:49 AM

536 posts, read 639,606 times
The best public high school in Forsyth County (rated in the top 150 high schools in the United States) is the Early College of Forsyth actually. A lot of residents don't know about it; it's a well-kept secret.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:45 PM

363 posts, read 439,862 times
Gardenia, what do you think of the area overall? How much are rents? We are a family of three, looking to rent 2 +bedrooms. We have one son in high school and I am looking for a job in local government.
I lived in NC (FT Bragg) as a child, went to high school in Germantown, Maryland. We would like to enjoy warmer weather with seasonal changes, better public high schools than south suburban Chicagoland area, opportunities for retirement (in next 10 years).

Old 09-22-2015, 02:52 PM

It's a nice area. You can rent a nice place for a lot less then what it would cost you in the DC area. We rent a 3 bedroom apartment for $1150 and it has granite and stainless steel appliances (about 1200 sq ft). I think it would be closer to $900 but we did a short-term lease. The weather has been really nice lately, a little cooler than I recall. I grew up here as a kid and remember many Christmas' where we could ride our bikes that we got from Santa in shorts. So far so good. I have smaller children so I cannot really comment on the high schools but many have posted that there are some in other posts to my original question. One thing I will caution you on, if you are thinking of coming down and look at some homes, plan ahead. We thought we could come down and schedule to see them the same weekend that is not the case, at least in Greensboro. There is one company that seemed to manage all of the homes we liked (
Rent-A-Home of the Triad) and they were very difficult of about seeing the properties. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point