Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:33 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but this isn't true. While the word "mall" in popular usage has generally come to mean an enclosed structure, the word origins refer to an outside walkway or promenade. We need look no further than the Fayetteville Street Mall in Raleigh for an example. This is a former city street that was blocked off and reserved only for pedestrian traffic, with stores and restaurants along each side. It is definitely NOT enclosed.
Yes, thanks, you are correct in that there are other uses of the word mall, such as the national mall in DC. I, of course, was referring to "mall" in the context of a retail center, in which case a mall is enclosed, as opposed to a shopping center, which is not enclosed.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 05-17-2015 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 08:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Default Similar to....

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but this isn't true. While the word "mall" in popular usage has generally come to mean an enclosed structure, the word origins refer to an outside walkway or promenade. We need look no further than the Fayetteville Street Mall in Raleigh for an example. This is a former city street that was blocked off and reserved only for pedestrian traffic, with stores and restaurants along each side. It is definitely NOT enclosed.
This is how Church Street in Burlington, VT is. Shoppers, visitors, outdoor restaurants, etc. Musicians, jugglers, etc. An interesting place to visit when in VT. My nephew lives in Fairfax, VT and when I've visited him there, we always go to Burlington. Right by Lake Champlain.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:43 PM

241 posts, read 339,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbeachlover View Post
OP here. I live in suburban DC now, and it is just so different here. More people yes, but they are reinventing and redeveloping malls. Of course, all the new and hot concepts want to be in this market anyway, so I understand that's different, but it's just a shame that this huge piece of real estate that attracts visits from all the smaller areas around it can't look nicer and have some better quality tenants. My sister in law told me that Friendly Center in Greensboro is now where so many Winston shoppers go. She doesn't even feel safe with her kids at Hanes Mall, and I have to say, having been there on a recent weekday, I get it.
I'm a Winston native, as well. However, I know the other side of the coin and the east side of 52. I love my hometown because it's familial and unique in some ways, but in all honesty, Winston is just dead. I was raised there poor in the 80s and 90s by a single mother with two kids. My mother is a Baltimore native and she constantly berated Winston Salem to my brother and I. When we were kids, we didn't get it. After we both moved away to college, it made perfect sense. Winston is extremely classist and a bit racist. There is little opportunity for growth beyond beyond your parents standard of living for the average child there. For a city of its size, Winston still feels less progressive commercially and culturally than other cities; really provincial. That's changing a bit, but given the history of the city, it makes sense. A service economy based around one banking center, big tobacco, and textiles. Those elements of the economy aren't present in Winston anymore, at least not the way it was.

I live in Kernersville now. I knew I'd find a better paying job in Greensboro and I was correct. Greensboro is bigger, more culturally diverse and wealthier. The Friendly Center reminds me of Southpoint Mall in Durham. The outdoor shopping facility is the new thing now and is not as restrictive as the traditional mall. Another poster has mentioned this trend, as well. Hanes Mall is on the decline because all malls are on the decline. To compare it with any suburb of DC is kind of incredulous...no place in NC is on that scale. High end stores need well paid customers. That's why you'll have to go to Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte for a Nordstroms or Saks. Those areas have lots of white collar industry that can support that kind of retail. Winston-Salem is only high end on west of highway 52. That's not enough to sustain those businesses, in my opinion. Winston is middle & working class and the stores reflect that. I'm surprised to hear that she doesn't feel safe in Hanes Mall. It's not really a high crime area of town. I rarely hear stories of robberies and the like. *shrug*

Old 05-11-2016, 04:47 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
I'm a Winston native, as well. However, I know the other side of the coin and the east side of 52. I love my hometown because it's familial and unique in some ways, but in all honesty, Winston is just dead. I was raised there poor in the 80s and 90s by a single mother with two kids. My mother is a Baltimore native and she constantly berated Winston Salem to my brother and I. When we were kids, we didn't get it. After we both moved away to college, it made perfect sense. Winston is extremely classist and a bit racist. There is little opportunity for growth beyond beyond your parents standard of living for the average child there. For a city of its size, Winston still feels less progressive commercially and culturally than other cities; really provincial. That's changing a bit, but given the history of the city, it makes sense. A service economy based around one banking center, big tobacco, and textiles. Those elements of the economy aren't present in Winston anymore, at least not the way it was.

I live in Kernersville now. I knew I'd find a better paying job in Greensboro and I was correct. Greensboro is bigger, more culturally diverse and wealthier. The Friendly Center reminds me of Southpoint Mall in Durham. The outdoor shopping facility is the new thing now and is not as restrictive as the traditional mall. Another poster has mentioned this trend, as well. Hanes Mall is on the decline because all malls are on the decline. To compare it with any suburb of DC is kind of incredulous...no place in NC is on that scale. High end stores need well paid customers. That's why you'll have to go to Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte for a Nordstroms or Saks. Those areas have lots of white collar industry that can support that kind of retail. Winston-Salem is only high end on west of highway 52. That's not enough to sustain those businesses, in my opinion. Winston is middle & working class and the stores reflect that. I'm surprised to hear that she doesn't feel safe in Hanes Mall. It's not really a high crime area of town. I rarely hear stories of robberies and the like. *shrug*
while i do love hanes...Greensboro is seriously picking up alot of high end buisness at friendly. Its like everyday there is something new at friendly,Lulu lemon greensboro, South Elm and cheese cake factory etc... speaking of wealth, ive never seen a city under 300.000 with so many high end car dealerships. Like lamborghini aston martin and ferrari to name a few.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:30 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Hanes Mall is not on the decline...nationally malls ARE on the decline, but many are doing quite well and Hanes in one of them. The occupancy rate remains very high and the traffic/sales are doing well. I'm not sure how someone sees that as "in decline" but it sounds like a slanted opinion to me - as usual on this site. LOL!

Whoever said that W-S shoppers are flocking to Friendly is simply telling a story. There is enough shopping and variety in W-S that no one has to drive 30 minutes for hardly anything. There are a handful stores in each city that the other doesn't have and someone MAY drive over for that or just for a different setting but it isn't on a regular basis by the majority in either GSO or W-S. Someone needs a reality check.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:18 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Hanes Mall is not on the decline...nationally malls ARE on the decline, but many are doing quite well and Hanes in one of them. The occupancy rate remains very high and the traffic/sales are doing well. I'm not sure how someone sees that as "in decline" but it sounds like a slanted opinion to me - as usual on this site. LOL!

Whoever said that W-S shoppers are flocking to Friendly is simply telling a story. There is enough shopping and variety in W-S that no one has to drive 30 minutes for hardly anything. There are a handful stores in each city that the other doesn't have and someone MAY drive over for that or just for a different setting but it isn't on a regular basis by the majority in either GSO or W-S. Someone needs a reality check.
I agree. Right now, Winston-Salem seems to have the edge on national grocery retailers (with Trader Joe's and Publix that Greensboro doesn't have plus all the others that Greensboro has), while Greensboro does have a few retailers (such as Apple) that aren't in Winston-Salem.

As for Hanes Mall, it's one that seems to still be going fairly strongly as a large, solid, mid market mall, which is becoming increasingly rare. Yes, some of the stores cater to a lower socioeconomic shopper and some cater to a slightly higher than average one, but the mall evens out to be roughly in the middle of the pack in terms of its target demographics. This was typically the format of most malls back when malls were in their heyday 30-35 years ago. Now there's much less middle ground, and more either seem full of rundown fly-by-night establishments that can barely pay reduced rent (like what Eastland Mall in Charlotte had become before it was demolished) or stores that cater to wealthy yuppies who like expensive, pretentious stores like Neiman Marcus (i.e. Southpark, also in Charlotte).

Last edited by Jowel; 05-12-2016 at 08:32 PM..

Old 05-12-2016, 10:45 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I agree. Right now, Winston-Salem seems to have the edge on national grocery retailers (with Trader Joe's and Publix that Greensboro doesn't have plus all the others that Greensboro has), while Greensboro does have a few retailers (such as Apple) that aren't in Winston-Salem.
I am surprised neither Publix nor Trader Joe's has a store in Greensboro yet. Publix will enter Guilford County if its High Point store is officially announced. It should not be long after to see more stores in Greensboro.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:49 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I am surprised neither Publix nor Trader Joe's has a store in Greensboro yet. Publix will enter Guilford County if its High Point store is officially announced. It should not be long after to see more stores in Greensboro.
I thought there were plans originally for both in Greensboro but folks got to complaining and that' why they aren't there.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:26 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times
Perhaps Hanes Mall is overdue for renovation. I have not been there recently. But at one time I believe it was the largest enclosed mall in NC, except for perhaps now Concord Mills. But it seems to have all of the major dept. stores in the region, including Belk, Macy's, Dillard's, and JCPenney. So I am sure it still serves a need. Charlotte offers higher end stores such as Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus, but those may cater to a more limited higher income demographic.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:36 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
TJs wanted to construct on the other side of Hobbs St across from Shoppes at Friendly, residents protested and rightfully so IMO. As small as the Winston location is TJs could have easily renovated the former Fresh Market location at Quaker Village. Instead there is a Wally World grocery there with typical tacky-ass Wally World décor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point