Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 05:50 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
This is a good find.

I wonder if United States Route 220 around Martinsville may be designated as a spur of Interstate 73.
Extremely unlikely. There's been no mention of any spur around Martinsville, either by VDOT or the city leaders. IMO, the only spur that could benefit Martinsville is if US 58 was designated as 3-digit interstate from I-73 in Martinsville to the US-58/US-29 interchange in Danville at the state line. US-29 from I-40/I-85 Greensboro to Danville is slated to become I-785 eventually. I don't know how feasible it would be to upgrade US-58 between Martinsville and Danville, though. That whole area needs all the help it can get. It's economically dead. Interstates may not revive their economy by themselves, but it'll put them on the map and then it will be up to the city and state leaders as to whether the Martinsville/Danville region sinks or swims. Right now, it's close to the bottom of the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 11:01 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Oh man, don't get me started on Southside VA!

I grew up in Martinsville and in some ways, miss that area. But, They have nobody in economic development who's willing to think outside the box or do whatever it takes to revive the area. I remember chatting with a former member of economic development online, and he said it takes 20 years, at least, before you even begin to see signs of economic improvement. He basically said that you wouldn't see any significant economic improvement for an area like Martinsville in his or my lifetime. Well, that's probably true when you have those in economic development with that mindset, and maybe politicians in office who look at Southside VA as an after the afterthought. But when you look at the area, it's centrally located between Roanoke, VA and the Triad area of NC. Perfect location for economic development! Having an interstate running through southside would most definitely put Martinsville and Danville on the map, and could really tie the whole region from Roanoke down to Greensboro together. Martinsville has NASCAR already established, but they could bring in a huge attraction on land between Martinsville and Danville, if those two cities were willing to work together. I could imagine something like a huge amusement park that's based on NASCAR there - something unique that would attract visitors from all over. The races attract people from all over, but that's only twice a year. Those areas need some sort of attraction all year 'round. Of course I realize amusement parks are not active during cold weather months, but it would surely serve its purpose more than twice a year!

I almost feel having I-73 running through that area would be a no-brainer for Martinsville and Danville. But there is such a disconnect between NoVA and Southside that I'm not sure it would ever happen.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Oh man, don't get me started on Southside VA!

I grew up in Martinsville and in some ways, miss that area. But, They have nobody in economic development who's willing to think outside the box or do whatever it takes to revive the area. I remember chatting with a former member of economic development online, and he said it takes 20 years, at least, before you even begin to see signs of economic improvement. He basically said that you wouldn't see any significant economic improvement for an area like Martinsville in his or my lifetime. Well, that's probably true when you have those in economic development with that mindset, and maybe politicians in office who look at Southside VA as an after the afterthought. But when you look at the area, it's centrally located between Roanoke, VA and the Triad area of NC. Perfect location for economic development! Having an interstate running through southside would most definitely put Martinsville and Danville on the map, and could really tie the whole region from Roanoke down to Greensboro together. Martinsville has NASCAR already established, but they could bring in a huge attraction on land between Martinsville and Danville, if those two cities were willing to work together. I could imagine something like a huge amusement park that's based on NASCAR there - something unique that would attract visitors from all over. The races attract people from all over, but that's only twice a year. Those areas need some sort of attraction all year 'round. Of course I realize amusement parks are not active during cold weather months, but it would surely serve its purpose more than twice a year!

I almost feel having I-73 running through that area would be a no-brainer for Martinsville and Danville. But there is such a disconnect between NoVA and Southside that I'm not sure it would ever happen.
You hit the nail on the head. As long as NoVA holds the most political clout, I-73 will never be built. Hell, at least Martinsville has a draw. Danville doesn't have jack**** to draw anybody on a major scale. The only reason I'm here in the first place was so I could be close to my grandmother's brother, who had lung cancer. He passed away last summer. People here go to Greensboro, Lynchburg or Durham and Raleigh for shopping and healthcare. Most of the shopping centers here are half empty buildings. There's no jobs here, so a lot of people drive to those aforementioned places for employment and the healthcare here blows. It's terrible. I'm hoping to move back to NC sometime this year. I damn sure won't be looking back!

Old 05-18-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. As long as NoVA holds the most political clout, I-73 will never be built. Hell, at least Martinsville has a draw. Danville doesn't have jack**** to draw anybody on a major scale. The only reason I'm here in the first place was so I could be close to my grandmother's brother, who had lung cancer. He passed away last summer. People here go to Greensboro, Lynchburg or Durham and Raleigh for shopping and healthcare. Most of the shopping centers here are half empty buildings. There's no jobs here, so a lot of people drive to those aforementioned places for employment and the healthcare here blows. It's terrible. I'm hoping to move back to NC sometime this year. I damn sure won't be looking back!
I also learned that there is a group in Martinsville, that formed an "Anti-I-73" committee, that is in opposition of the building of the interstate. They claim that where the interstate would run, would be too close to the city reservoir, and would affect drinking water. They support an idea of building up 220 to "interstate specs". But here's the thing: I don't think you can do that to 220. Most interstates that I know of don't have direct access to businesses and residential streets. You have to take an exit off of the interstate to get to these locations. The way interstates work is in direct conflict to a highway like 220. Plus, it would defeat the purpose of what the new I-73 was intended for. I swear, people are so backwards in their thinking that they are afraid of change. A lot of folks, unfortunately, up in Martinsville & Henry County still have their mindset of the 1950's. They want Martinsville to be the "Mayberry" of Southside VA. They complain because there's nothing there, but yet they don't want the area built up out of fear of increased crime and traffic.

I'm with you in that I believe those areas will eventually die out completely. Don't get me wrong, I love Martinsville, because it is home. But, Greensboro seems like a multi-cultured metropolis compared to my hometown. With the road construction down here, I really believe it will bring even more businesses to northern Guilford, Oak Ridge/Colfax area. Not that I want it to be hustle and bustle in Oak Ridge, but I don't mind having access to a few more restaurants and shopping up this way.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I also learned that there is a group in Martinsville, that formed an "Anti-I-73" committee, that is in opposition of the building of the interstate. They claim that where the interstate would run, would be too close to the city reservoir, and would affect drinking water. They support an idea of building up 220 to "interstate specs". But here's the thing: I don't think you can do that to 220. Most interstates that I know of don't have direct access to businesses and residential streets. You have to take an exit off of the interstate to get to these locations. The way interstates work is in direct conflict to a highway like 220. Plus, it would defeat the purpose of what the new I-73 was intended for. I swear, people are so backwards in their thinking that they are afraid of change. A lot of folks, unfortunately, up in Martinsville & Henry County still have their mindset of the 1950's. They want Martinsville to be the "Mayberry" of Southside VA. They complain because there's nothing there, but yet they don't want the area built up out of fear of increased crime and traffic.

I'm with you in that I believe those areas will eventually die out completely. Don't get me wrong, I love Martinsville, because it is home. But, Greensboro seems like a multi-cultured metropolis compared to my hometown. With the road construction down here, I really believe it will bring even more businesses to northern Guilford, Oak Ridge/Colfax area. Not that I want it to be hustle and bustle in Oak Ridge, but I don't mind having access to a few more restaurants and shopping up this way.
Yeah, it's a mess up here. US-220 is a headache, especially from Rocky Mount, VA to I-581 in Roanoke and upgrading the existing route would be costly and near impossible due to the terrain. I-73 is desperately needed. I don't think any damage that might remotely (if any) be done to the drinking water in Martinsville would be even close to what's been done to the Dan River due to the coal ash spill. Ever since the spill, Danville's drinking water has tasted awful. It smells like somebody took a leak in Miracle-Gro potting soil. They claim that it was caused by algae and that it's safe to drink, but I call BS. The water was fine until the coal ash spill. I'm on well water, but I've tried drinking city water a few times when I was in town and I could barely tolerate a swig. Danville and Pittsylvania County are just as backwards. Let me give you an example: A Zaxby's opened up in Danville about a year or so ago. The city leaders gathered to have a big ribbon cutting ceremony, high-fived each other and called it major economic development. I didn't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for 'em. I don't have anything against anybody working in fast food joints, but I don't think an opening of a Zaxby's is something to get a hard-on over. Damn near half the shopping centers here are largely vacant buildings that are being left to rot. Everytime I go to Greensboro or Durham and Raleigh, it's a night and day difference in more ways than one. It's almost like discovering electricity again (exaggeration, I know, but that's the best way I can describe it). Hell, I grew up in Wayne County near Goldsboro in eastern NC and even they, of all places, seem to have more economic development (not leaps and bounds, but some) than Danville and apparently Martinsville (with the exception of NASCAR, of course ) these days. It's sad.

Last edited by LM117; 05-18-2016 at 11:12 AM..

Old 05-18-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Yeah, it's a mess up here. US-220 is a headache, especially from Rocky Mount, VA to I-581 in Roanoke and upgrading the existing route would be costly and near impossible due to the terrain. I-73 is desperately needed. I don't think any damage that might remotely (if any) be done to the drinking water in Martinsville would be even close to what's been done to the Dan River due to the coal ash spill. Ever since the spill, Danville's drinking water has tasted awful. It smells like somebody took a leak in Miracle-Gro potting soil. They claim that it was caused by algae and that it's safe to drink, but I call BS. The water was fine until the coal ash spill. I'm on well water, but I've tried drinking city water a few times when I was in town and I could barely tolerate a swig. Danville and Pittsylvania County are just as backwards. Let me give you an example: A Zaxby's opened up in Danville about a year or so ago. The city leaders gathered to have a big ribbon cutting ceremony, high-fived each other and called it major economic development. I didn't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for 'em. I don't have anything against anybody working in fast food joints, but I don't think an opening of a Zaxby's is something to get a hard-on over. Damn near half the shopping centers here are largely vacant buildings that are being left to rot. Everytime I go to Greensboro or Durham and Raleigh, it's a night and day difference in more ways than one. It's almost like discovering electricity again (exaggeration, I know, but that's the best way I can describe it). Hell, I grew up in Wayne County near Goldsboro in eastern NC and even they, of all places, seem to have more economic development (not leaps and bounds, but some) than Danville and apparently Martinsville (with the exception of NASCAR, of course ) these days. It's sad.
That's hilarious! We have at least two Zaxby's down here that I know of. I will say, they make good food, lol! Martinsville is about as bad. If they do bring in jobs that will pay ya about $15/hour, that's considered really good. Which I will say, for the cost of living in M'Ville, you can work with that so as long as it's just one person or your spouse or better half is also working. That' equates to about $28k a year before taxes. Most of the time, the jobs they have brought in don't even pay that much. Usually closer to a range of $9-$12/hr. Martinsville does, however, have some companies, like ICF, that probably pay pretty well, but I'm not sure how many they employee. I interviewed with them a few years ago. Really big, shiny, impressive looking building, but didn't seem to have a lot of people there.

Since moving down to G'boro, my eyes have definitely been opened. There's a whole different attitude toward economic development. They seem to get on the ball with road construction and building new structures for coming businesses. We also seem to be flourishing with breweries. I don't know if Martinsville has any breweries there.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:28 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Danville and Martinsville are decent cities that were dragged down by the fall of textiles/tobacco/furniture and didn't really have the economic diversity to pull out of it - not yet anyway. Danville has a couple of large employers like Goodyear, IKEA, etc. (wonder what would happen if one of those closed?), a nice downtown, and a really nice historic district or two plus the Danville Braves. Martinsville has the speedway, which is a big draw no matter how you feel about auto racing, and I'm sure there are a couple of large employers there too. Both have the advantage of being near the Triad, which should keep them viable as small cities in the foreseeable future. There have been cities like these that have made comebacks, so I could see it happening there...and I feel like the Triad is going to catch fire sometime in the next decade or two, which would be great for nearby cities like these plus other cities hurt by declining industries (Reidsville, Elkin, Mount Airy, Thomasville, North Wilkesboro, etc) but didn't have the diversity to stay healthy.

These places aren't Greensboro or Durham and aren't really meant to be, at least not anytime soon. But they do have some positive characteristics and I think will continue to be at least what they are now. It could be worse...see Gary IN or Youngstown OH. LOL!

Old 05-18-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Danville has a couple of large employers like Goodyear, IKEA, etc. (wonder what would happen if one of those closed?), a nice downtown, and a really nice historic district or two plus the Danville Braves.
Goodyear has been in hot water lately. There's been 3 deaths and an injury at the Danville plant within the last few months. If one of those closed, it would probably kill what little economic life Danville has left. I do agree the historic district does look nice. One of the biggest problems though, is that northern VA rules the state here and always takes priority while the rest of the state gets table scraps, if anything at all. In NC, almost everybody gets a piece of the pie, even if the slices vary in size. Here, if it's not something that benefits northern VA (like I-73) 9 times out of 10 it ain't gonna happen.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I don't know if Martinsville has any breweries there.
I'm not sure. I haven't heard of any.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:01 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Here's another link that covers information for all of the states on the I-73/I-74/I-75 corridor:

National I-73/I-74/I-75 Corridor Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point