Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 10,993 times

Advertisements

Yesterday my dog (Great dane Lab mix) bit my neighboros dog. We had let our dog out in our fenced in back yard AND on a 40 foot chain. He has to be chain so he can not jump our fence. He some how slipped out of his collar and jumped the fence. Our neighboro let her dogs out, no leach and no fence. she was on her deck while her dogs were below in the yard. she said that my dog and one of her dogs had a slight stand off and then all of a sudden my dog was on her dog. she rang out door bell and told my husband what had happend. He saw the dog and there were 2 small bite marks. The neighboro said that she was not going to take her dog to the vet. then she desided to walk her dog down the road and came home then desided to take her dog to the vet. Now they want us to pay the vet bill! What should we do? I thought there was a leash law within city limits of Winston-Salem. Please help us!!

Last edited by Jessicafc; 03-21-2008 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: title
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 09:23 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Forsyth County > Animal Control

Quote:
When the Animal is Home
To provide a safe and secure environment for your new pet, it should not be allowed to run loose. Dogs that are to be kept outside must by confined in accordance with state and local law in a clean and sanitary environment and with adequate shelter. In the city of Winston-Salem, dogs may not be loose on the owner’s property. The towns within Forsyth County have ordinances that require dogs to be tied, fenced or walked on a leash. Although there is no leash law for cats, we recommend that cats be kept inside for their protection and allowed outside only under direct supervision.
How well do you get along with your neighbor, otherwise, in an effort to settle this? She violated the ordinance, but your dog shows the ability and will to escape its confines and attack other dogs.

We don't live in Forsyth county but experienced an attack. A neighbor's dogs came over the fence onto our property and attacked ours. We didn't want to bring the law in and cause bad feelings in our community, so we worked it out between each other. The attacking dogs owner contacted her insurance company and they covered everything.

Last edited by silverwing; 03-21-2008 at 09:35 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 21,799 times
I took my dog for a walk on the street where I live in Winston-Salem and as we were walking down the road there was a dog barking further down the road so decided to avoid a confrontation and turn around to head back towards my home. This other dog proceeded to run towards us out from his owner's property across another yard and unto to street where we were trying to walk away from him. He proceeded to go after my dog. This is a mature dog and my dog is only a 5 month old puppy. I let the leach loose so my dog could run away or have a chance to fight back and as my dog tried to run, this dog kept on after him. I couldn't tell if he wanted to play or fight with my dog and my dog seemed afraid and kept on running back and forth. I yelled at this other dog to go home but he was insistent. Eventually, with my yelling at him and waving my arms in the air telling him to go home! my dog started gathering up some nerve and he started to head back to his home. This could have been a bad situation if a fight had happened. What can I do to prevent this situation from reoccurring in the future as I have to live on this street and like to go for a walk with my dog every now and then? Is is lawful for someone to have their dogs unrestrained and just waiting for an opportunity to run out onto the street and harrass other neighbors who have to use the public road? What can I lawfully do? I hate to have to fight with neighbors over something that they should have known better about?

Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
Silverwing, what is the source of the info you posted? It's incorrect when it says "...dogs may not be loose on the owner's property." The Forsyth Co. ordinance says "Animal owners must keep their animals on their property or under restraint...at all times" (see Ordinance). If you think about it, dogs with invisible fences run loose. And even with no fence at all, as long as a dog remains on their owner's property there is no violation.

To the OP, sorry but it looks like you are completely at fault here, and you should expect to pay for any vet bills incurred as a result of the attack.

To pinkus, you have every right to walk your dog without fear of attack from other dogs. Typically in these situations you should first contact the owner. Maybe they're unaware that their dog is getting out, or maybe they just need a gentle reminder. If you are uncomfortable confronting them about it, you should contact the county animal control office. They will warn your neighbor (your identity won't be revealed), and subsequent complaints will bring harsher action. And if the dog is posing an immediate threat of injury to people or other animals, you should call 911.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 16,269 times
In Davidson County , Thomasville city limits of NC. Can my dog be off her leash as long as she does not leave the premisis of my yard?

Old 01-29-2012, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 16,269 times
Is it legal to protect yourself and dog if your are walking the,m against anyone or anything that may happen when they are on leash? Another words if I am walking my dog and another dog tries to charge us in the city limits do I have the right to hit with him whatever I can in order to protect myself and my dog in order to get away?

Old 01-30-2012, 06:48 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melindap View Post
In Davidson County , Thomasville city limits of NC. Can my dog be off her leash as long as she does not leave the premisis of my yard?
Yes.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 6,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicafc View Post
Yesterday my dog (Great dane Lab mix) bit my neighboros dog. We had let our dog out in our fenced in back yard AND on a 40 foot chain. He has to be chain so he can not jump our fence. He some how slipped out of his collar and jumped the fence. Our neighboro let her dogs out, no leach and no fence. she was on her deck while her dogs were below in the yard. she said that my dog and one of her dogs had a slight stand off and then all of a sudden my dog was on her dog. she rang out door bell and told my husband what had happend. He saw the dog and there were 2 small bite marks. The neighboro said that she was not going to take her dog to the vet. then she desided to walk her dog down the road and came home then desided to take her dog to the vet. Now they want us to pay the vet bill! What should we do? I thought there was a leash law within city limits of Winston-Salem. Please help us!!
I feel you are at fault for the bite.
First off, your dog does not need to be chained. In fact, it is highly un-recommended to chain a dog because it increases aggression in the dog. You need to train your dog to stay within the confines of the yard, and training him to do so can be very easy (I'm assuming he's still relatively young since he jumped a fence). Because you did not bother to train your dog to stay in the yard, the chances of his jumping the fence and attacking another dog were higher. The neighbor's dogs may not have been on a leash, but they were in their own yard with supervision whereas yours was not.
So, I suggest you talk to your insurance company, (they may pay for part of the bill), then pay the vet bill, then properly train your dog to stay in your yard without a chain attached to him, and supervise his outdoor visits.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamhp1 View Post
I feel you are at fault for the bite.
First off, your dog does not need to be chained. In fact, it is highly un-recommended to chain a dog because it increases aggression in the dog. You need to train your dog to stay within the confines of the yard, and training him to do so can be very easy (I'm assuming he's still relatively young since he jumped a fence). Because you did not bother to train your dog to stay in the yard, the chances of his jumping the fence and attacking another dog were higher. The neighbor's dogs may not have been on a leash, but they were in their own yard with supervision whereas yours was not.
So, I suggest you talk to your insurance company, (they may pay for part of the bill), then pay the vet bill, then properly train your dog to stay in your yard without a chain attached to him, and supervise his outdoor visits.
The original post is 5 years old, I'm guessing all wounds have healed by now.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,399 times
While in Thomasville, North Carolina today, I was angered by seeing a beautifull larger black dog chained up in an alley. He was kept on the hot cement and hardly six feet of chain. Surely this is against a state or city ordinance. I would like to report this to the responsible party and help this pitiful animal. Could anyone tell me how to resolve this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point