Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 08:19 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,827,592 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to find only one thread in the past year when searching this forum for Mocksville. We're researching our next retirement location, and for several reasons, that area holds some appeal. We lived in the W-S area for about 25 years, so we know the general area, but that's been quite awhile ago. We're native Carolinians and have lived most of our lives in either SC or NC, so culture shock is not a concern. Schools, jobs, etc are not an issue, and we don't need to be entertained, so culture, sports, etc are not a biggie. Primarily, we're looking for peace, quiet, reasonable cost of living, and decent medical care, although there are currently no serious medical issues. Budget is $300-350K, but we don't need/want a big house or acreage. For those familiar with the general Mocksville area, I would appreciate any feedback, good or bad, you're willing to share. Thanks much for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 04:33 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,504 times
Are you the Pawley's Dude from TripAdvisor? Hey!

I go up to Mocksville regularly for work, and I have a friend that lives up there who likes it. She likes it. There are some beautiful houses. The downtown area is pleasant. I don't know much about individual neighborhoods, but you could probably get a nice place for that money.

Good luck.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:55 AM

Hey Sue - Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, I use the same ID on both forums. I appreciate your feedback. We've explored the Mocksville area a little and it seems to fit our needs well. I was a little surprised that it seems to fly under the radar on this forum, but maybe that's a good thing. We need to spend some more time up there, but want to get any input from those who know the area. Thanks again.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:47 AM

I'm shanklemsw. I used to live in Mt Pleasant, but came back to Greensboro when my folks needed me. I love Pawley's.

I do think it's under the radar for relocation. It seems like people want to live in a quaint town with big city amenities, lol. I'll be interested to hear about what you find. When I go up there it's to go to the jail (woohoo) so I don't spend much real time there. I think it's pretty and the people seem nice.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
I'm shanklemsw. I used to live in Mt Pleasant...
Sure! I hadn't seen you around the TA forum recently, but I didn't realize you had left the area.

Yep, you're right. Everybody looking for small town vibe but with all the bells and whistles. Oh yeah, also no traffic, no crime, warm winters and low taxes. That's a perfect description of the daily postings in the C-D Myrtle Beach forum.

Thanks again for your help. It's still relatively pleasant down here, but when the summer crowds arrive, we're planning to head back up that way for a little more research.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:56 AM

I have to say, as much as I loved living in Mount Pleasant, and I did, living in a non-tourist town is great. That area is changing so fast I don't think I can offer anything current on TA so I gave up.

Traffic on I40 between Mocksville and Winston can be busy, but traffic in town is easy. Davie County Medical Center has a good reputation and it's not far away.

Deano's barbecue is great, should you be so inclined. None of that mustard business, lol.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:24 AM

275 posts, read 232,448 times
It sounds like Mocksville and Davie County would meet your needs, but so would many other rural counties adjacent to the state's metro areas.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:09 AM

102 posts, read 121,778 times
have you thought about coming closer to the town of Bermuda Run?

Old 05-14-2019, 11:22 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
Hi Pawleys Dude! Hope you are doing well. Been a while--I haven't been lurking on the Myrtle Beach board as much lately since my family sold our Garden City property a few years ago.

I live in Clemmons, just across the river from Davie County. To echo others' comments, Mocksville is a very pleasant small town in many ways. One way perhaps that is isn't so pleasant is that there tends to be a bit of a dichotomy between the town and the eastern areas of the county (Advance area), which tends to be more wealthy and Winston-Salem focused since Advance is very much a bedroom community. So there has been a divergence of interests in some ways between the two demographics. An example is a recent back and forth over a new high school. Many in the Advance area wanted a second high school closer to them, but the rest of the county won out and the new school was built in Mocksville to serve the entire county. This may not have a direct effect on you, but this theme flows through other issues as well. You will find some very backwards thinking, super-conservative people in Mocksville, and they sometimes clash with the generally more educated and wealthy Advance population. But that's often true in any area, and in itself is not a reason to avoid moving there.

And as Big John noted above, there are lots of choices. In the Triad area, I think you'd find many places that would suit your needs, like Lewisville, Clemmons, Walkertown, Wallburg, Kernersville, Oak Ridge, etc. You will find homes within your budget in all of these areas. I think it would come down to "feel", so I encourage you to visit as many of these areas as you can.

Good luck to you. Let us know where you end up!

Arby

Old 05-14-2019, 06:20 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it. With grandkids in W-S, we're looking for a move to take us closer, but not too close. I failed babysitting 101. We actually looked at some properties in Bermuda Run CC, but it didn't feel right for us. We've also looked back at Davidson County where we lived for 25 years, but the western side of W-S puts us a little closer to other family members living elsewhere, and Davie appealed to us a little more than Davidson. At this point, I think anywhere west of the Yadkin is a consideration.

Hey Arby! It's great to hear from you again. This is like a TA reunion on here. I wondered what happened to you, I miss your postings. You shared a lot of good knowledge of the MB area. That TA forum could use your help. Most of the current "experts" moved down there within the last 6 months or so and now know everything there is to know about MB.

Quote:
You will find some very backwards thinking, super-conservative people in Mocksville...
I hate to hear that, but I'm coming from SC, where that kind of thinking is a daily way of life. Still, it gets old, doesn't it. I can empathize with the Advance/Davie County situation; that's never an easy one. We've got a similar situation where we're currently living, with the Waccamaw Neck comprising about 10% of Georgetown County and contributing over 80% of tax revenue, due to property values. It's very difficult for County Council to reach decisions that are equitable in these kinds of situations, somebody always feels like they're losing.

Again, thanks everyone for your help. We're looking forward to resuming our search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point