Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2021, 05:24 AM

32 posts, read 24,774 times

Advertisements

For background, our family of 4 are moving to Greensboro soon (Lake Jeanette area) and my in-laws are giving serious thought to joining us - woohoo! They're in their mid-60s, still very active but starting to feel older, i.e. don't want to walk up stairs if they can help it. They have fallen in love with the area just like we have , and their price range could stretch into the $400s but ideally in the $300s . They are also open to doing a renovation, my FIL likes the idea of a project.

What would be the best places to look for them that A) are close(ish) to Lake Jeanette/NW Gboro, B) offer ranch houses and/or 1st level master bedroom designs and C) would have neighbors their age to become friends with? Any other thoughts to share with them? How is Gboro in general for the retiree crowd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 08:01 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Are the open to attached villas? Personally, I think the best way to find friends is in a 55+ community. There are some communities like that listed on 55places.com, such as the Villas at Sedgefield and Eagle Point at West Village. There is currently only one place for sale at 5218 Roost Ridge Court, Greensboro, NC . The price is $289,000, and the HOA fee is $175 per month which pays for landscaping and amenities. The Zillow link is here:https://www.zillow.com/homes/5218-Ro...51330577_zpid/ This one is on the west side of Greansboro, rather than near lake Jeannete.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-22-2021 at 08:13 AM..

Old 06-22-2021, 10:56 AM

The Epcon Communities feature designs for seniors. Some are in a quadrangle of attached courtyard homes, and others are detached homes with a private courtyard. Mebane and Kernersville are the places closest to the OP's planned move. Search for North Carolina here: https://www.epconcommunities.com/communities/

One other afordable option is to look for an existing brick rancher, which was probably built many years ago. They might need cosmetic updating, but if the dad is handy, they could save money with DIY updating. This fully updated one is close to Lake Jeanette, but not in a development: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5.../5968288_zpid/

Then this is a new-build community with several plans with the master on the first floor:
https://www.zillow.com/community/ree...te/29486_plid/

Old 06-22-2021, 01:21 PM

I was surprised to find a futher option very close to Lake Jeanette: elevator condominiums on Bass Chapel Road. The complex is called The Gables at The Grande, and the HOA fee is about $305/month, buy they would have no yardwork at all. These two are for sale by owners:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...83890252_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...61811005_zpid/

BTW, the amenities look fabulous. There is an outdoor pool, a putting green, a clubhouse with a kitchen, library, meeting splace for clubs and a workout room with lockers and changing space. The apartments also have a security system. I would love this if I wanted to enjoy a leisurely life.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-22-2021 at 01:43 PM..

Old 06-22-2021, 05:22 PM

32 posts, read 24,774 times
Thank you so much for the info! They have a medium/large dog, so condos probably won't work but it's a good option to know about. I also like the idea of 55+ but they tend to frown at the idea. Typical "those are for old people!" attitude, but news flash, they are also old : )

Old 06-23-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCitytoJeanCity View Post
Thank you so much for the info! They have a medium/large dog, so condos probably won't work but it's a good option to know about. I also like the idea of 55+ but they tend to frown at the idea. Typical "those are for old people!" attitude, but news flash, they are also old : )
Perhaps if they were called "child-free" communities for active adults, they would sound more acceptable. <g> What I would enjoy about an adult community is being able to swim laps in a pool without having kids jumping on me and splashing.

BTW, if they look at building in a new community, there have been delays because of the high price of lumber. The builders in my area are waiting for prices to drop. It may be better to find an existing older ranch home. There were a couple in the Lake Jeanette area.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:23 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
I grew up here and I'm in their demographic. How close do you want them to be to your house?

There are many brick ranch homes in NW Greensboro. I live in a 50s built one story, 2 br 1 ba home in Garden Homes. It's a mix of neighbors which I like: young families, singles, retirees. We all are friendly, share plants, take care of each others' pets and watch out for each other in general. This is not an anomaly. There are many neighborhoods like this.

So You'll probably need to help them find a house they really like and trust your realtor to know the neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point