Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 36,485 times

Advertisements

I am an African American school teacher and my wife is also a professional and we have one small child. We are looking to possibly buy some land in the Whitsett/Gibsonville area to build on and were concerned with racism and the KKK. I have have been reading some posts about NC and the KKK being in western Guilford county, is this true? Anyone here live in Whitsett or Gibsonville? We are looking to build an all brick upscale home. In Hanover county Virginia, where we are moving from, we live in a prestigious neigborhood, mostly white, in which they enjoy us living there even though we are young African Americans, early thirties. I have visited Burlington and noticed that most African Americans and Hispanics live on the eastern part of town, almost segregated from the western part that is mostly white. Of course the eastern side of town looks very run down and very small homes. Is this normal for housing in this area to be almost totally seperated by race? We refuse to live in the hood, or ghetto because we are African American, we would like to raise our child in a nice neigborhood with good schools also. Would someone please respond. Thanks

Old 07-25-2007, 04:31 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
I have never heard of any KKK activity in modern times in Guilford County, I may be wrong so somebody else may be able to clear that up but I think you'll enjoy living there and you'll be fine. As far as I know, that's yesterday's story. Anyone can face racism anywhere, believe me, but I don't think it's any worse than anywhere else. Generally, NC people are good, friendly folks. Best of luck!

Old 07-25-2007, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 36,485 times
Thanks for the input.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:23 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,122 times
I'm not aware of any KKK activity in Whitsett or Gibsonville. I lived very near Level Cross and in Pleasant Garden several years ago and it was rumored that there were KKK members (who, of course, had a meeting place - don't know where & don't know if they wore their hoods and sheets though) out in the country around there. We never heard of them doing anything though other than having meetings.

The last big deal involving KKK members that I can recall happened in the '70s in Greensboro.

If you're interested, Oak Ridge is a nice area to look into.

I wish y'all all the best.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:23 PM

37 posts, read 266,928 times
I took care of a known klan ****a and he was polite to me. Maybe he didnt want spit in his water. LOL

Old 08-11-2007, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 16,534 times
Elon is nice. I don't like Gibsonville at all!

Old 08-11-2007, 08:01 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncteach View Post
I am an African American school teacher and my wife is also a professional and we have one small child. We are looking to possibly buy some land in the Whitsett/Gibsonville area to build on and were concerned with racism and the KKK. I have have been reading some posts about NC and the KKK being in western Guilford county, is this true? Anyone here live in Whitsett or Gibsonville? We are looking to build an all brick upscale home. In Hanover county Virginia, where we are moving from, we live in a prestigious neigborhood, mostly white, in which they enjoy us living there even though we are young African Americans, early thirties. I have visited Burlington and noticed that most African Americans and Hispanics live on the eastern part of town, almost segregated from the western part that is mostly white. Of course the eastern side of town looks very run down and very small homes. Is this normal for housing in this area to be almost totally seperated by race? We refuse to live in the hood, or ghetto because we are African American, we would like to raise our child in a nice neigborhood with good schools also. Would someone please respond. Thanks
You are going to find KKK in almost every state....however, NC isn't backwards.....you can find what you are looking for I am sure....thought I a
not overly familiar with the area you are looking at. (I live in The Triangle...not The Triad.)

The Southern Poverty Law Center keeps a tab on all sorts of hate groups....here is a link to their NC state map of known organizations they follow SPLCenter.org: Hate Groups Map

Old 08-11-2007, 08:05 PM

3,290 posts, read 9,186,341 times
You know, the last time I heard of a Klan rally, it was in Toledo, OH, LOL and that was just a few years ago. Liz

Old 08-11-2007, 08:13 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
You know, the last time I heard of a Klan rally, it was in Toledo, OH, LOL and that was just a few years ago. Liz
The KKK is in Ohio no doubt about it....shocked the daylights out of me.

Ran across it when I was a bartender up there...the one little bar I worked out turned out to be a 'hang out' for local several members. They seemed okay enough sorts, then I found out.......

I never quit a job so fast!!!

Old 08-11-2007, 08:30 PM

647 posts, read 2,083,184 times
The KKKlan is still alive and well from central Florida (Marion and Hernando Counties) all the way up to Pennsylvania and Ohio. I've known several KKKlan members and none of them ever caused one ounce of trouble. I had a neighbor of mine who was into that stuff and he was a tandem truck-driver with a black man for years and they got along great. He wasn't so much into the black/white issue but, rather, "the illegal Mexicans stealing the white man's jobs" type of platform.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about it, most of those guys are harmless (and maybe even deep down cowardly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point